User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What? Y'all don't do that in Canada?
    Too cold. Things break at that temperature. (Wow, I think I've destroyed this thread! )

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Too cold. Things break at that temperature. (Wow, I think I've destroyed this thread! )
    Haha, good answer. That's ok, most people here do it with guns instead anyways.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

I hate the American way though I'm far more euro than amer that way.
    I assume we agree that precision of language would be preferable, but if there must be either negative spin (false modesty) or positive spin (hot air), why do you prefer the former?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I assume we agree that precision of language would be preferable, but if there must be either negative spin (false modesty) or positive spin (hot air), why do you prefer the former?
    Because I dislike the competitive nature (as I said, it feels like comparing dick size among mates... it can get over the top). Worse, if you are on top, the others actually start to resent you in small ways. I prefer just keeping things low-key and the negative spin does that.

It also has to do with pluralistic ignorance. Positive spin encourages a rush to the bottom, IMO. I have an extreme dislike of this. (Again with "dick size", such as the big house, the big toys, the big car, the guns... these are also manifestations of the same mindset that encourages "hot air".)

However, you are right that I prefer simply being honest. The problem is that in a culture of "hot air", you end up being "put down" down being honest. I don't mind being honest in a "false modesty" culture, since you end up, at worst, bragging a bit too much. The two are asymetrical because in the "hot air" one, I'd have to attack everyone to bring them down to honesty, while if I am honest, I am not attackable (for bragging) and I can bring others up.

Personal preference, probably... but that's how I see it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Because I dislike the competitive nature (as I said, it feels like comparing dick size among mates... it can get over the top). Worse, if you are on top, the others actually start to resent you in small ways. I prefer just keeping things low-key and the negative spin does that.
    I beg to differ. Where I live things are equally competitive, only the competition is hidden, which just makes it uglier. "European sophistication", pffft!

However, you are right that I prefer simply being honest. The problem is that in a culture of "hot air", you end up being "put down" down being honest. I don't mind being honest in a "false modesty" culture, since you end up, at worst, bragging a bit too much. The two are asymetrical because in the "hot air" one, I'd have to attack everyone to bring them down to honesty, while if I am honest, I am not attackable (for bragging) and I can bring others up.
    This, however, is an excellent rationale. Suddenly I'm grateful I don't suffer from too much Ti integrity.

MBTI
    ISTP

I beg to differ. Where I live things are equally competitive, only the competition is hidden, which just makes it uglier. "European sophistication", pffft!
    Heh, fair enough. I'm comparing this to my European/Scandinavian families... which have tons of money. Them, I like. My American side of the family with lots of money... Yah. Not so much.

I just don't like in your face competition. They can be as bitter as they want after losing a chess game, I don't want to hear smack. I want to hear "good game", win or lose.

This, however, is an excellent rationale. Suddenly I'm grateful I don't suffer from too much Ti integrity.
    *shrug* I do as well as I do. What I care about is what I can afford. Competition in that sense is just about having more than others - so that I can do more (prices rising to meet what people will spend; me having more means I can do more).

In that world, the less people show off, the better. Over extending raises prices and increases instability (spending to show off = spending as much as possible while often forsaking capital reinvestment... ie: borrowing money off the home to buy but not maintaining the home), both things that cause me more problems. A rush to the bottom in a materialistic way. I hate that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Attention Jennifer! Failure of N:
    God, girl, I might be pushing 40, but I'm not half-blind and/or need a megaphone pulled to my ear to hear what anyone is saying!

*deviously scribbles down another little tidbit about Eco in her pocket notepad*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    God, girl, I might be pushing 40, but I'm not half-blind and/or need a megaphone pulled to my ear to hear what anyone is saying!
    It's not like people necessarily do more than skim read... Right, pt?

MBTI
    ISTP

It's not like people necessarily do more than skim read... Right, pt?
    Just what are you saying?

(I'll have you know that I skim read everything. Wait... dammit.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just what are you saying?
    (I'll have you know that I skim read everything. Wait... dammit.)
    Gee, we're just going to skim-milk that joke for all it was worth (and more!), aren't we?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft