User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    Do you believe in anything? Is your tendancy to except whatever science adheres to, or does agnosticism rule? Are you as varied as everyone else in the general population? I'm not looking for an argument, nor a debate (i.e. my views in any direction don't come into play).
    Early in life, I devoured the scientific worldview. After all, it strives for objectivity and it presents itself as rational--two qualities I think NT's highly value.

I find it easy to believe that many (most) of the NT's alive today are either into scientism or agnosticism. The history of science and philosophy is a history of error, and this will likely cause an NT to suspend judgment. However, the failed Enlightenment rationalist program caused many to believe that the closest one could get to objectivity is through the empirical, scientific method--making it the de facto position for those seeking objective truth, (even if it presents it in a fallibilist form).

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Its hard to believe in something that can't be explain.....yet, and majority of it seems illogical (god made it so is not a reasonable explination on any level). Yet i do leave the door slightly open to possiblities.

I don't leave my life to fate, why should i do it for my belief.
    Interesting. I know many Christians that hold the belief that science and nature itself are evidences of God--this is how he chose to do things. Tends to throw the Randomists for a loop as they point out how destructive nature is. Then the Creationists usually strike back and say that everything, including chaos, has reason to it by pointing out different cycles of birth, destruction and rebirth; Chaotic Order.

Either way, it's hard for people to believe in something they can't see--it's like Santa Claus or Sasquatch for those who haven't really attempted to look into It. Those are the people, when they actually pursue God seriously, who tend to witness the supernatural--not the feelers like me who can be sustained on the relational. That's my hypothesis anyway. How can the Questioners of everything be expected to have as much faith in something they haven't even seen as their feeling counterparts?

And even if you seriously wanted to look into the possibility of God, whom do you ask? What scholarly, logical resource can you gleen information from? You've all heard about the crazy, far right wing schools that are nationally known for their extremism--they sound way too stupid to draw from as a resource of valid information. What about the rest, the majority?

If anybody is interested in exploring those possiblities further, maybe a trip to a respected theology department in a university known for it's academics as well as it's spirituallity is in order. It may take some digging, but they are out there, I know of a few in California. If speaking to theology professors doesn't flare your NT curiousity, not much I know of will.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Early in life, I devoured the scientific worldview. After all, it strives for objectivity and it presents itself as rational--two qualities I think NT's highly value.

I find it easy to believe that many (most) of the NT's alive today are either into scientism or agnosticism. The history of science and philosophy is a history of error, and this will likely cause an NT to suspend judgment. However, the failed Enlightenment rationalist program caused many to believe that the closest one could get to objectivity is through the empirical, scientific method--making it the de facto position for those seeking objective truth, (even if it presents it in a fallibilist form).
    I believe I agree.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Atheistic agnostic.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

I find it hard to beleive an NT could be religious as theres so many flaws in religion. And so many things it fails to explain.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    I find it hard to beleive an NT could be religious as theres so many flaws in religion. And so many things it fails to explain.
    You can replace the word religion with science, if you choose, and still have the same result. I have a lot of dear NT friends that are on an eternal quest to find truth - whether that be through religion or science.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I don't believe in god or religion. I just believe that the universe took a shit and everything just appeared. I call it Big Shit theory.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Explains all the hot gasses floating around...
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I am a rarity among NT's. I do believe in God. That being said, I'm not a Creationist and I do lend credit to the Big Bang Theory (FYI ironically it was first suggested by a Catholic priest.) I'm not a fatalist. And being a biology major, not once have I ran into a piece of information that made me question my faith and I've never had to rationalize in vain any scientific concept in order to keep my faith. Science has only made me further appreciate the complexities of God's creation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    Do you find this as hard to believe as the existance of God?

I always find it amusing when "it does not make sense to me" is used as an argument on such a massive thing as the universe, or a deity. Does nothing beyond your understanding exist in your universe?

Worth noting for me at this point: My faith is not in the existance of God...various experiences have led me to this conclusion. My faith is a matter of trusting that this entity has my best interest at heart and is not simply growing souls like fruits in a garden for later consumption. That gets shaken often, believe me.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo