• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs - wannabe INTPs?

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
bahahahah

And this is why INTPc is, itself, total bullshit.

If anything INTPs are wannabe ENTPs (yes, we know how jealous you are of our ability to actually, you know, talk to women and be sociable. Don't pretend.)

P.S.,

ISTJs really don't have too much in common in with INTPs. Digest is right that it's easier to confuse ISTJ/INTJ. What a dumb fucking post by whatever INTPc member originally made that; he's probably on the phone with his mom finding out when she's bringing home the new Dungeon Master's Guide as we speak.
Would you come off the high horse?

Gauche has only 1 post on INTPc, so he's not even allowed to post links yet.
Your post was more condescending and riddled with stereotypes than the OP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Only as riddled as yours was with blatant inability to read sarcasm or otherwise non-serious tone.

Maybe the "bahahaha" at the beginning didn't serve its intended purpose for you?

P.S.,

If ISTJs mistype themselves as NTs, it's due largely to the poor information available on Si, not due to any kind of INTP>ISTJ superiority. Don't you see any problem with the phrasing "ISTJs, INTP wannabes?" Clearly they're not INTP wannabes, or they'd use Ti/Ne instead of Si/Te.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
^ Only as riddled as yours was with blatant inability to read sarcasm or otherwise non-serious tone.

Maybe the "bahahaha" at the beginning didn't serve its intended purpose for you?

So complaining about stereotypes by adding more is a legitimate form of sarcasm?

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP

I was confused too, I didn't read sarcasm. I suppose its hard to deliver inflection through text, I thought it was weird coming from you who I think is one of the more level headed ENTP's around. For you, an emoticon: :huh:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The problem really isn't Simulated's presentation, but that some ENTPs legitimately think that way, so you can really never be sure.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So complaining about stereotypes by adding more is a legitimate form of sarcasm?

In a way it can be, actually, especially with hard-headed INTPs who are still stuck half way up their own asses with "Ti is TEH BEST EVAARRRRR!!!" nonsense.

I'm not saying you're one of these INTPs--I don't really know you. But I will say that INTPs have a habit of thinking they're above stereotypical or otherwise obviously foolish behavior, but they tend to exhibit a number of hilarious stereotypes just like every type, so sometimes a good way to remind them that they're human too is to give them a little dose of their own medicine.

The "ISTJs wannabe INTPs??" thing just reeks of INTP elitism, frankly, and INTP elitism is a particularly annoying brand because they're the absolute worst about insisting that they have a right to be condescending because their perspective is "objective"! (Immature Ti is absolutely insufferable.)

By the way, mocking the concept of stereotypes by offering more stereotypes in order to show how ridiculous stereotypes are is actually a common tactic in comedy. It's been around for hundreds of years. (Chappelle's black white supremacist, anybody?)

I was confused too, I didn't read sarcasm. I suppose its hard to deliver inflection through text, I thought it was weird coming from you who I think is one of the more level headed ENTP's around. For you, an emoticon: :huh:

The D&D thing was the stereotype joke. The post itself asking about ISTJs wanting to be INTPs was totally dumb, and I stand by that statement 100%.

The problem really isn't Simulated's presentation, but that some ENTPs legitimately think that way, so you can really never be sure.

Yeah, it's kind of silly to imply that any type is a "wannabe" of any other type; otherwise they would just...be that type. That was the whole point. I'm well aware that INTPs aren't wannabe ENTPs either, which was the whole point of the joke, get it? (Apparently you do, this is more for others.)

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
INTPs aren't analytical and logical. Why do people think that? :huh:
This is interesting. Introverted thinking is indeed said not to be analytical, and not logical (or it would be in a right brain way). So would people think INTPs are, because of the relative unfamiliarity with Ti, and the societal prevalence of Te? Or maybe because they think a little bit more, call things into question, see things their way, in stead of adopting widely shared Te laws?

Btw, how do you mean it?

Edit: Is it (as well as seeing them as 'rational') because people can not see how/whether they enjoy/what they are about?? Because people will feel better off?

Last edited:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
+1. I think SiTe > TiNe in terms of logical thinking.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Do you think that a large number of INTJf members are actually closet ISTJs? How come?

I would not say large but I think that there are some. I say this because there is too much conservative vibe in the air over there.
Ok there are conservative INTJ but there is something SJish there.
I am not saying that they deliberatly lie about their type, it is just that they are mistyped. On the other hand people overthere are young so that can solve the dilema as well.

Another reason is because tests ask stupid questions.
Like "Do you see well how things will develope overtime?". I mean who is going to say "No" as an answer to this question ? (especially if they are TJs)

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
In a way it can be, actually, especially with hard-headed INTPs who are still stuck half way up their own asses with "Ti is TEH BEST EVAARRRRR!!!" nonsense.

I'm not saying you're one of these INTPs--I don't really know you. But I will say that INTPs have a habit of thinking they're above stereotypical or otherwise obviously foolish behavior, but they tend to exhibit a number of hilarious stereotypes just like every type, so sometimes a good way to remind them that they're human too is to give them a little dose of their own medicine.

The "ISTJs wannabe INTPs??" thing just reeks of INTP elitism, frankly, and INTP elitism is a particularly annoying brand because they're the absolute worst about insisting that they have a right to be condescending because their perspective is "objective"! (Immature Ti is absolutely insufferable.)

By the way, mocking the concept of stereotypes by offering more stereotypes in order to show how ridiculous stereotypes are is actually a common tactic in comedy. It's been around for hundreds of years. (Chappelle's black white supremacist, anybody?)

I've also noticed an ENTP trend where they insult others and whenever they are called on it, they claim it was sarcasm. Your statement is equivalent to a white person making a racist comment about the chinese, so Chapelle would decide to make a racist comment about white people. All people would get from that comment is that the white person is racist and Chapelle is also racist.

Of course INTPs can be arrogant idiots but we certainly don't have a monopoly on it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Alright, I solved this...

ISTJs, your dominant function is Si, which is like the poor man's version of Ti.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
If there is one type that I do not envy, it is INTP.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I shall add, that the ISTJ, with Si + Te, is like the living embodiment of empirical thinking.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I think its because INTP have the Si in the third function that makes people confuse them.

This is the same as the ENTJ=ESTP argument which I consider as BS.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
This is based basically on sightings on INTPc. According to this hypotesis, the "defining" traits of an INTP, such as highly "analytical", "logical", even "intellectually superior" in worst cases, may very well mislead an average ISTJ, who encounters the MBTI for the first time. Because it is not uncommon for an ISTJ to take pride in his "rational", "logical" thinking, the misfortunate ISTJ will assume that indeed he must be the INTP - the most logical and rational type.

At the first sight, he may appear to be one - analyzing and rationalizing everything like the world's biggest scientist, but there are definite deviations from INTP archetype once observed closely.

They are among us.

What do you think? I am not claiming anything, that's why I call it hypotesis. (Also, I do not claim that the percentage of ISTJs mistyped in this way is disproportionally big.)

Oh dear god, I hate the whole atmosphere of superiority there. I once made a joking comment about someone using the term OMG and they fliped the fuck out about me insulting their "INTPness". I think my general pessemism and self loathing has helped me avoid that mentality, my first thoughts when reading the results of the test "This is just cand-coating all of my flaws" lazzyness, absent-mindedness, impractical knowledge, the kind of stuff my grandma used to scold me about.

Even if oyu look at the list of famous INTPs it pales in comparision to other lists: Isacc Newton, if that apple didnt hit him no body would give a crap about it, Eienstein, ok Ill give you that one, and Tiger Woods, Shinny teeth.
The only real good representations of INTPs are the fictional ones (Oh L how I aspire to be you).

And really why would oyu care about people being mistyped? You are who you are and (hopefully) you dont change after you read the results of some test. Thats the saddest part of the whole MBTI thing is that it isnt used for its "OFFICIAL"(I say official because the real purpose was to create a test for employers to judge potentia employess by) purpose, to help people recognize their strengths and weanesses and change for the better. Its become a kind of sceintific horoscope, a method of classifying yourself and others as well as your relationships with others in a simple package. "What types would be most compatable with xxxx type?" "OMG! Type this really hot guy I met" ect ect.

Your not better than anyone because of your type, your better because of your abilities and acomplishments. Your "INTPness" =/= your penis size.

Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little food for the thought of those INTPc kiddies.

Sorry for the rant :sorry:

EDIT: Also,

You guys arnt INTPs your just a bunch of.... POSERS!!!
thfdb43d92.jpg

EDIT 2.0: Go to the "Whats my type" subforum. Count the threads about "~~~Typeing my new BF <3 <3"

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

ISTJs, your dominant function is Si, which is like the poor man's version of Ti.
T and S are not related. T-F are the judging functions and S-N are the perceiving functions. You can say Fi is the poor man's version of Ti if that makes you feel any better. ;)

SubjectA

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Those poor, poor mistyped ISTJ's. Are they ever going to be disappointed when they find out they're not the super cool INTP.

In reality, I'd think that ISTJ's are pretty content with themselves. Why would they waste time envying other types? They're way more efficient than that. FYI, INTP's aren't the best thing since sliced bread.

What do you mean by "poor man's" version?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would not say large but I think that there are some. I say this because there is too much conservative vibe in the air over there.
Ok there are conservative INTJ but there is something SJish there.
I am not saying that they deliberatly lie about their type, it is just that they are mistyped. On the other hand people overthere are young so that can solve the dilema as well.

Another reason is because tests ask stupid questions.
Like "Do you see well how things will develope overtime?". I mean who is going to say "No" as an answer to this question ? (especially if they are TJs)

NTJs show almost as much of a tendency toward conservatism as STJs do...all four xxTJ types, the Te users, seem to lean conservative on average.

The reason ISTJs so frequently mislabel themselves as INTJs is that this message board, and the typology community in general, still doesn't understand what Si is or what it actually does, and runs around parroting nonsensical descriptions of ISTJs as sweet little traditionalist simpletons who pray to their Lord Jesus Christ every Sunday mornin' and shucks darn gosh we're just simple country town folk who don't get none of this "higher learnin'!"

SJs are brutally, brutally misunderstood--it's no wonder that ISTJs would mistype themselves as INTJ with the way INTJs are held in such high regard here and ISTJs totally marginalized. There actually ARE lots of things that ISTJ is way better at than INTJ, and no, they don't all involve 9-5 office jobs.

I actually feel bad for ripping on SJs for so long; these days I find a lot of NFs significantly more annoying (though for some reason not INFJs, I just keep liking you guys more and more.)

I'm assuming from context that that's a joke, but those concepts are so unrelated that I can't really tell where the humor is supposed to come from. ???

I've also noticed an ENTP trend where they insult others and whenever they are called on it, they claim it was sarcasm. Your statement is equivalent to a white person making a racist comment about the chinese, so Chapelle would decide to make a racist comment about white people. All people would get from that comment is that the white person is racist and Chapelle is also racist.

Of course INTPs can be arrogant idiots but we certainly don't have a monopoly on it.

Or maybe you don't really understand the role of boundary-pushing comedy in societal attitude changes. It's definitely worth looking into.

I think its because INTP have the Si in the third function that makes people confuse them.

This is the same as the ENTJ=ESTP argument which I consider as BS.

That isn't the argument; the argument is that ENTJ and ESTP show a lot of similar surface characteristics upon first meeting them sometimes, because ENTJs naturally understand the opposite ExTx style of operation, and find that they can gain a lot more control/pull with many SP types by imitating ESTP social behavior...but their motivations and long-term goals are ENTIRELY different. (Thanks to Edgar for this clarification.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I highly doubt that ISTJs will confuse themselves with any NT type -- they're polar opposite temperaments.

Though I could see ISTPs confuse themselves with NTs, being utilitarian thinking types. ISTPs and INTJs could superficially resemble each other, and ISTPs and INTPs are both Ti-dom.