• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Good things about INTPs

ygolo

My termites win
Why does it matter what people think of you or INTPs? Just let them believe whatever they want to believe in.

To put it simply. Negative stereotypes get in the way (of people listening, people providing resources, of people providing opportunities, etc.)
Call it engaging Ne to apply theory to the real world (which incidentally has people in it).

The reason I find this thread demeaning is because of the subtle suggestion that praise may be needed in order to help the INTP function. You'd annoy an INTP more by invoking their feeling side than by supporting their feelings.

Are you sure that in general INTPs don't need praise? I think that is more a Neuroticism/Emotional Stability thing (a factor left off of MBTI). Neurotics are more needy (which, I am beginning to believe, for INTPs, is a good thing).

95/5 is norm for the INTP on the third dichotomy, this means dealing with F at all is troublesome, whether this be a positive or negative emotional experience.

I'd like to know how you come to these conclusions.

lastrailway

Why does it matter what people think of you or INTPs? Just let them believe whatever they want to believe in.

The reason I find this thread demeaning is because of the subtle suggestion that praise may be needed in order to help the INTP function. You'd annoy an INTP more by invoking their feeling side than by supporting their feelings.

95/5 is norm for the INTP on the third dichotomy, this means dealing with F at all is troublesome, whether this be a positive or negative emotional experience.

I didn't suggest that INTPs need praise, not intetionally, at least.
I see your objection now, and I am rather surprised. My intention was to talk about one of the MBTI types, nevermind if it is the INTP or whatever, for the same reason there are all those discussions about MBTI: to express opinions, points of view, etc. Most of us are not experts on MBTI types, so obviously many of the opinions would be of less relevance. My intention was not for anybody to take this personaly or as an emotional experience.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To put it simply. Negative stereotypes get in the way (of people listening, people providing resources, of people providing opportunities, etc.)
Call it engaging Ne to apply theory to the real world (which incidentally has people in it).

Are you sure that in general INTPs don't need praise? I think that is more a Neuroticism/Emotional Stability thing (a factor left off of MBTI). Neurotics are more needy (which, I am beginning to believe, for INTPs, is a good thing)..

Feelers tend to make decisions based on feelings and self-assessments as well. They need positive feelings in order to be sound, for this reason they need to be in harmony with others. A neurotic Thinker would be more disturbed by the same T 'pet-peeves' (being incompetent or not having a clear notion of what he is dealing with)than a healthy thinker, but he would not depend on emotional approval of others in order to feel good. Just like you told INTJMom last night 'it hurts, but confuses me more'. Your pet-peeve was being confused (you were irked about this more than a healthy thinker would be), not having feelings hurt. You were upset not for personal reasons, but for impersonal, because she made an utterance that by T standards was unacceptable. Whilst I, also a Thinker, was annoyed too, but to a much lesser extent than you were because I am low on neuroticism and you are high.

I'd like to know how you come to these conclusions.

Introverted Functions are stronger than Extroverted because they are concerned with the archetypal quiddity of the faculty itself, whilst the Extroverted Functions are concerned with applying the faculty to the external world. Ti is the radical T faculty, as T as it gets. INTP is more of a thinker than an ISTP because the N strengthens the T, hence NTs tend to be more T oriented than STs for this reason. 95/5 is the figure to represent the highest thinking preferrence that there is.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
BlueWing, you're like the INTP Cheerleading Squad, Booster Club, and Marching Band all rolled into one.:rolleyes:

These positive qualities are based on the INTPs in my life.

Bro
- is the family peacekeeper
- good at finding solutions that keep everyone happy
- very sympathetic (although somewhat brusque, but I need that every now and then)
-very charming and funny
-cares about how he is perceived by others; is very aware of his "image" (I think this is a positive)
-the best shopping partner ever!:wubbie: He'll tell me if my ass looks big in something and I know it's the truth
- romantic with his girlfriend. I once saw him start singing (very badly) to his girlfriend and it was the cutest thing ever
-cares about the world he lives in. Is very socially aware and has told me about stuff I never knew about

Friend
-introduced me to Battlestar Gallactica and House (just when I was about to throw my TV from the top of a building)
-very easy to get along with and chill
-sympathetic in her own way and it's very meaningful to me
-smart as all get out
-she puts up with me and all my drama in a way only my family does and that means a lot also
-good listener

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2. Don't expect inexhaustible empathy or politeness, easy to talk to when you feel emotionally drained.

Honestly, sometimes I even start getting rather annoyed when someone is overly polite or empathetic.

A little bit goes a long way, at least in terms of my receiving such, if I am trying to discuss a topic or find an answer or relay how I'm feeling and all I am getting is "mirror empathy" or people trying to protect my feelings...

ygolo

My termites win
Feelers tend to make decisions based on feelings and self-assessments as well. They need positive feelings in order to be sound, for this reason they need to be in harmony with others. A neurotic Thinker would be more disturbed by the same T 'pet-peeves' (being incompetent or not having a clear notion of what he is dealing with)than a healthy thinker, but he would not depend on emotional approval of others in order to feel good. Just like you told INTJMom last night 'it hurts, but confuses me more'. Your pet-peeve was being confused (you were irked about this more than a healthy thinker would be), not having feelings hurt. You were upset not for personal reasons, but for impersonal, because she made an utterance that by T standards was unacceptable. Whilst I, also a Thinker, was annoyed too, but to a much lesser extent than you were because I am low on neuroticism and you are high.

I can somewhat see what you are saying. But I think both positives and negatives (desired and undesired outcomes) need to be analyzed to devise a good leverage-oriented-model of the world.

Introverted Functions are stronger than Extroverted because they are concerned with the archetypal quiddity of the faculty itself, whilst the Extroverted Functions are concerned with applying the faculty to the external world. Ti is the radical T faculty, as T as it gets. INTP is more of a thinker than an ISTP because the N strengthens the T, hence NTs tend to be more T oriented than STs for this reason. 95/5 is the figure to represent the highest thinking preferrence that there is.

This also seems unfounded. What are your basic assumptions, your relevant "axioms", if you will? I think we may disagree on those, even.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can somewhat see what you are saying. But I think both positives and negatives (desired and undesired outcomes) need to be analyzed to devise a good leverage-oriented-model of the world.

This also seems unfounded. What are your basic assumptions, your relevant "axioms", if you will? I think we may disagree on those, even.

Introversion is an attitude that defines the world in accordance to the way it relates to the self. Extroversion defines the self in accordance to the way it relates to the world.

Hence, Introverted Thinking, takes the internal thinking process for granted. Extroverted Thinking doesn't. For instance. For this reason all Introverted functions are stronger than the extroverted because they are more in tune with the quiddity of the function in itself.

We use Thinking and Feeling to make decisions, this is a cerebral process. Judging and perceiving we use to deal with the external world. Hence, since Intuition is more in tune with the cerebral than sensing, it supports the T or F.

Whilst S supports the way we do things, so it supports either J or P.

What makes an NT stand out amidst all types if not their Thinking faculty(Rational)? NF, Feeling faculty(Healer)? SJ(Guardian,J-responsible), Judging faculty? SP(Artisan), perceiving faculty?

ygolo

My termites win
What makes an NT stand out amidst all types if not their Thinking faculty(Rational)? NF, Feeling faculty(Healer)? SJ(Guardian,J-responsible), Judging faculty? SP(Artisan), perceiving faculty?

This last part made it clear to me what you meant. But I think you are taking archetypes and overgeneralizing based on those notions (though I still see the notions of introverted vs. extroverted judging strength of preference largely unfounded, unless you can rephrase or extrapolate).

I can see how a symbolic NT is more T than a symbolic STJ or STP (who is more SJ or SP in temperament).

Life themes and environmental pressures also color what a person's preference is.

It is quite a leap to extrapolate from a symbolic representation of people to actual percentages of preference among a population. But if you are backed up by evidence later, then, my hats-off to you.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I find this thread more demeaning than the 'rant on INTPs'.
I almost agree, but I find it easier to imagine this thing as worthwhile when stepping into the shoes of ENTP. It shares the same functions and can at least playfully consider some personally loaded statements.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
BlueWing, you're like the INTP Cheerleading Squad, Booster Club, and Marching Band all rolled into one.:rolleyes:

Bro
- is the family peacekeeper

I think you're projecting your own qualities onto him and this is one example thereof. Fe is the peace-keeping function, tends not to be prominent among INTPs

- good at finding solutions that keep everyone happy

No doubt INTPs are good at impersonal problem solving, though making everyone happy is an Fe thing. Resolving interpersonal problems tends not to be a strength of thinkers.

- very sympathetic (although somewhat brusque, but I need that every now and then)
-very charming and funny
- cares about how he is perceived by others; is very aware of his "image" (I think this is a positive)
INTPs tend not to be imagine conscious.
-the best shopping partner ever!:wubbie: He'll tell me if my ass looks big in something and I know it's the truth
- romantic with his girlfriend. I once saw him start singing (very badly) to his girlfriend and it was the cutest thing ever
-cares about the world he lives in. Is very socially aware and has told me about stuff I never knew about

Friend
-introduced me to Battlestar Gallactica and House (just when I was about to throw my TV from the top of a building)
-smart as all get out
-she puts up with me and all my drama in a way only my family does and that means a lot also
-good listener

Last edited by a moderator:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Could it...could it be possible...that my brother has developed his Fe???!!!???!!!:party2:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could it...could it be possible...that my brother has developed his Fe???!!!???!!!:party2:

:D

*gasp* No. No, no, no, it CAN'T be that...!

But just food for thought a moment? You know the specifics of your brother and I do not, but conflict avoidance is not specifically a hallmark of Fe.

INTPs can very much use their intelligence to mediate and smooth over conflict (because it preserves their autonomy -- they are not being dragged into ugly emotional situations or are managing to avoid emotional/relational entanglement), while being quite terrible at Fe if they are forced into a personal situation where they cannot just play the role of mediator.

IOW, motivation (e.g., to avoid personal entanglement) is still strictly NT and level of engagement (e.g., dealing with outside conflict versus something personal and heated) is still typical NT in terms of what they can deal with without a good Fe.

(I am just mentioning it, since I've experienced it before.)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Could have, but the Fe qualities are unlikely to be salient like you describe them to be.

Ti,Ne and Si qualities would be more prominent.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

But just food for thought a moment? You know the specifics of your brother and I do not, but conflict avoidance is not specifically a hallmark of Fe.

INTPs can very much use their intelligence to mediate and smooth over conflict (because it preserves their autonomy -- they are not being dragged into ugly emotional situations or are managing to avoid emotional/relational entanglement), while being quite terrible at Fe if they are forced into a personal situation where they cannot just play the role of mediator.

IOW, motivation (e.g., to avoid personal entanglement) is still strictly NT and level of engagement (e.g., dealing with outside conflict versus something personal and heated) is still typical NT in terms of what they can deal with without a good Fe.

INTPs avoid conflict simply because they cant be bothered wasting their energy on the external world. Unlike feelers, if they find a conflict necessary to take care of, they won't have a problem confronting it. They may even enjoy it because it brings about a sense of clarity that they otherwise wouldnt have.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Look what your influence has done! Nice going!

The above is like a text-based Rorschach test. How did you read it?

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
I think the biggest thing is the sense of humor. My INTP friend keeps me laughing. We have an interesting dynamic...our interactions (which usually involve teasing each other) are completely T vs F at work.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Friend
-smart as all get out
-good listener

At one time I was wondering what my ENFJ friend thought was so great about me, but I bet she'd put a lot of the stuff in this list except the TV thing. I'm starting to wonder about BG and House since Aimee the umm, probably INFJ, is always talking about them in her blog.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
INTPs have the uncanny ability of being able to teach me something almost every time we talk even unintentionally. I will say without question that some of the most "meaningful" conversations I've had have been with this type.

I also think my ENFJ friend might say this about me too or maybe something similar.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs avoid conflict simply because they cant be bothered wasting their energy on the external world. Unlike feelers, if they find a conflict necessary to take care of, they won't have a problem confronting it. They may even enjoy it because it brings about a sense of clarity that they otherwise wouldnt have.

That's SUCH a stereotypical view of INTPs.

Just take a look at the bulk of INTPc, in their late teens and early adulthood, and you'll see a great number of INTPs who don't know how to deal with conflict and just bury the feelings internally.

Most of them are angry at the world and don't know how to tell anyone else but their own kind.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Agreed. I wouldn't be in it so much with people if that was the case.

This is true. I also don't think I'm projecting to say that my brother (IMO) is developing healthily. I know what he was like up until a few years ago and I would define it as classic negative INTP behavior. High school was very stifling and difficult for him and he started to come out of his shell when he got to college.

He, from what I can tell with his relationship with his girlfriend and friends, seems to willingly involve himself in their lives to support and help. He withdraws when they get to be too much (but I do too so that's not a big personality difference). I also see this behavior with my other INTP friend who's a teacher that actually enjoys interacting with her students! Some INTPs may actually like engaging with people and they don't have to be over 40 for this to happen. I sometimes think that other MBTI sites that will rename nameless have created a rather rigid template of what typical INTP behavior is and when an INTP falls outside of that mold then it must be some other cause for them not acting like "normal" INTPs.

Look what your influence has done! Nice going!
The above is like a text-based Rorschach test. How did you read it?

Don't get to comfy. I may come after you next. ;)