User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Could it...could it be possible...that my brother has developed his Fe???!!!???!!!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Could it...could it be possible...that my brother has developed his Fe???!!!???!!!

*gasp* No. No, no, no, it CAN'T be that...!

But just food for thought a moment? You know the specifics of your brother and I do not, but conflict avoidance is not specifically a hallmark of Fe.

INTPs can very much use their intelligence to mediate and smooth over conflict (because it preserves their autonomy -- they are not being dragged into ugly emotional situations or are managing to avoid emotional/relational entanglement), while being quite terrible at Fe if they are forced into a personal situation where they cannot just play the role of mediator.

IOW, motivation (e.g., to avoid personal entanglement) is still strictly NT and level of engagement (e.g., dealing with outside conflict versus something personal and heated) is still typical NT in terms of what they can deal with without a good Fe.

(I am just mentioning it, since I've experienced it before.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Could have, but the Fe qualities are unlikely to be salient like you describe them to be.

Ti,Ne and Si qualities would be more prominent.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

But just food for thought a moment? You know the specifics of your brother and I do not, but conflict avoidance is not specifically a hallmark of Fe.

INTPs can very much use their intelligence to mediate and smooth over conflict (because it preserves their autonomy -- they are not being dragged into ugly emotional situations or are managing to avoid emotional/relational entanglement), while being quite terrible at Fe if they are forced into a personal situation where they cannot just play the role of mediator.

IOW, motivation (e.g., to avoid personal entanglement) is still strictly NT and level of engagement (e.g., dealing with outside conflict versus something personal and heated) is still typical NT in terms of what they can deal with without a good Fe.

INTPs avoid conflict simply because they cant be bothered wasting their energy on the external world. Unlike feelers, if they find a conflict necessary to take care of, they won't have a problem confronting it. They may even enjoy it because it brings about a sense of clarity that they otherwise wouldnt have.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Look what your influence has done! Nice going!

The above is like a text-based Rorschach test. How did you read it?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP

I think the biggest thing is the sense of humor. My INTP friend keeps me laughing. We have an interesting dynamic...our interactions (which usually involve teasing each other) are completely T vs F at work.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

BlueWing, you're like the INTP Cheerleading Squad, Booster Club, and Marching Band all rolled into one.

These positive qualities are based on the INTPs in my life.

Friend
    -introduced me to Battlestar Gallactica and House (just when I was about to throw my TV from the top of a building)
    -very easy to get along with and chill
    -sympathetic in her own way and it's very meaningful to me
    -smart as all get out
    -she puts up with me and all my drama in a way only my family does and that means a lot also
    -good listener
    At one time I was wondering what my ENFJ friend thought was so great about me, but I bet she'd put a lot of the stuff in this list except the TV thing. I'm starting to wonder about BG and House since Aimee the umm, probably INFJ, is always talking about them in her blog.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    INTPs have the uncanny ability of being able to teach me something almost every time we talk even unintentionally. I will say without question that some of the most "meaningful" conversations I've had have been with this type.
    I also think my ENFJ friend might say this about me too or maybe something similar.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    INTPs avoid conflict simply because they cant be bothered wasting their energy on the external world. Unlike feelers, if they find a conflict necessary to take care of, they won't have a problem confronting it. They may even enjoy it because it brings about a sense of clarity that they otherwise wouldnt have.
    That's SUCH a stereotypical view of INTPs.

Just take a look at the bulk of INTPc, in their late teens and early adulthood, and you'll see a great number of INTPs who don't know how to deal with conflict and just bury the feelings internally.

Most of them are angry at the world and don't know how to tell anyone else but their own kind.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

Agreed. I wouldn't be in it so much with people if that was the case.

This is true. I also don't think I'm projecting to say that my brother (IMO) is developing healthily. I know what he was like up until a few years ago and I would define it as classic negative INTP behavior. High school was very stifling and difficult for him and he started to come out of his shell when he got to college.

He, from what I can tell with his relationship with his girlfriend and friends, seems to willingly involve himself in their lives to support and help. He withdraws when they get to be too much (but I do too so that's not a big personality difference). I also see this behavior with my other INTP friend who's a teacher that actually enjoys interacting with her students! Some INTPs may actually like engaging with people and they don't have to be over 40 for this to happen. I sometimes think that other MBTI sites that will rename nameless have created a rather rigid template of what typical INTP behavior is and when an INTP falls outside of that mold then it must be some other cause for them not acting like "normal" INTPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Look what your influence has done! Nice going!
    The above is like a text-based Rorschach test. How did you read it?
    Don't get to comfy. I may come after you next.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3