User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing
    I find this thread more demeaning than the 'rant on INTPs'.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

They keep most of their emotions tucked nicely inside.
    They think.
    They have goofy sense of humor and mad punning skillz.
    They have mad research skillz.

My particular INTP is:
    • sexah
    • hardworking
    • sweet
    • kind
    • honest
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

1. Fun to fluster in debate.

2. Are precise when articulating their intentions.

3. Aren't flatterers; praise is validation of an idea or design.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Wow, you know your INTPs!

In my opinion, there is a particular end,
    and that would be: to encourage one another.
    It's like "random acts of kindness"... with words.
    Of course you and I understand that. But to him, anything that doesn't work towards a higher purpose or furthering understanding isn't meaningful. That's just how he is. I see the emotional value in such things, although I can also see how sometimes they do begin to seem cliched and lacking in real meaning if they become too standard or repetitive. It can become structure without meaning, and I understand why that can be bad.

But I digress:

3. Able to adapt to changing circumstances.

4. Don't make hasty decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I find this thread more demeaning than the 'rant on INTPs'.
    There's nothing demeaning on this thread, as there isn't on the rant thread. We are talking about a system for categorising personalities, and mentioning what we consider as positive or negative characteristics about any of these personalities reflects the opinion on the system's categories.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Of course you and I understand that. But to him, anything that doesn't work towards a higher purpose or furthering understanding isn't meaningful. That's just how he is. I see the emotional value in such things, although I can also see how sometimes they do begin to seem cliched and lacking in real meaning if they become too standard or repetitive. It can become structure without meaning, and I understand why that can be bad.
    I used to think that too, and I find it really frustrating that I cannot understand peoples criticisms of praises.

My main aim at the rant on INTPs thread was to understand why many people (not all) are upset with INTPs (and more selfishly, me). I saw a lot of what is upsetting, but very little why.

So, as an experiment I wanted to try starting a praising environment on the forum (There is that "prime mover" arrogance again-- but I think that is a fairly permanent trait on my part, perhaps that's where the "manipulative" criticism comes from).

But what I have found is that people are usually listing the same qualities w/ different (more affirmative) words in the praise thread when compared to rant threads.

Besides that, there are modal differences. Sometimes we are "sweet" sometimes "insensitive", just like everyone else. Same sort of thing on the Good qualities of INTJs thread.

There are a few unexpected tidbits too.

Added to that is the frustration of knowing, that despite the fact I know a lot more theory than when I started, my understanding of human nature, or individuals in my life, has not improved.

I started the rant thread to see if I could come up w/ a system to avoid the hassles of being hated, and having people put obstacles in my way.

There is similar potential use in a praise thread.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    There's nothing demeaning on this thread, as there isn't on the rant thread. We are talking about a system for categorising personalities, and mentioning what we consider as positive or negative characteristics about any of these personalities reflects the opinion on the system's categories.
    Are the positive and the negative characteristics different characteristics?
    Or are they the same characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Are the positive and the negative characteristics different characteristics?
    Or are they the same characteristics?
    I guess in many/most cases are the same.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I used to think that too, and I find it really frustrating that I cannot understand peoples criticisms of praises.

My main aim at the rant on INTPs thread was to understand why many people (not all) are upset with INTPs (and more selfishly, me). I saw a lot of what is upsetting, but very little why.

So, as an experiment I wanted to try starting a praising environment on the forum (There is that "prime mover" arrogance again-- but I think that is a fairly permanent trait on my part, perhaps that's where the "manipulative" criticism comes from).

But what I have found is that people are usually listing the same qualities w/ different (more affirmative) words in the praise thread when compared to rant threads.

Besides that, there are modal differences. Sometimes we are "sweet" sometimes "insensitive", just like everyone else. Same sort of thing on the Good qualities of INTJs thread.

There are a few unexpected tidbits too.

Added to that is the frustration of knowing, that despite the fact I know a lot more theory than when I started, my understanding of human nature, or individuals in my life, has not improved.

I started the rant thread to see if I could come up w/ a system to avoid the hassles of being hated, and having people put obstacles in my way.

There is similar potential use in a praise thread.
    Why does it matter what people think of you or INTPs? Just let them believe whatever they want to believe in.

The reason I find this thread demeaning is because of the subtle suggestion that praise may be needed in order to help the INTP function. You'd annoy an INTP more by invoking their feeling side than by supporting their feelings.

95/5 is norm for the INTP on the third dichotomy, this means dealing with F at all is troublesome, whether this be a positive or negative emotional experience.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    This shouldn't surprise you. All you are really asking for on either thread is a list of qualities. One asks to show how those qualities could be negative, the other asks how they could be positive, but they are, after all, the same qualities. It just depends on the lens you filter it through.

For instance, you could call choose to call a quality indecision/hesitancy or openness to opportunity. Freedom or Chaos. Order or Control. Does that change what the quality is, in essence? No, it simply changes how it is perceived. Language contains a lot of redundancies, and words with positive and negative connotations to describe exactly same thing. Once you understand this, you will understand why rhetoric is so persuasive.