• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] Who hates groupwork?

Do you like groupwork?

• I am an ENTJ - I like groupwork.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • I am an ENTP - I like groupwork.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I am an INTJ - I like groupwork.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I am an INTP - I like groupwork.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I am an Extrovert - I like groupwork.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I am an Introvert - I like groupwork.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an ENTJ - I dislike groupwork.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an ENTP - I dislike groupwork.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I am an INTJ - I dislike groupwork.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I am an INTP - I dislike groupwork.

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • I am an Extrovert - I dislike groupwork.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I am an Introvert - I dislike groupwork.

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I know I do.

I always seem to get the short end of the stick. I'm usually put into a position where I can't pick my group members, or there's no one in my group whom I know I can rely on consistently ahead of time. To pile it on top of that, most times I don't give a rat's ass about what I'm working on.

It's a constant pain in the ass, figuring out when to meet up, just to have people not meet up, throwing the schedule of, figuring out ways of communication...Then there's the shared burden of work. I often end up picking up the slack for other members for whatever reason. It's so fucking annoying. If I know what I have to do, I'll get it done.

I would almost prefer to be the group leader of most group projects I'm working on, however, I'm lazy and I don't feel like expending the energy to wrangle everyone together and give them their tasks and getting it done efficiently.

It's a little different if I'm with a group of people I like or know to be dependable, because then I know shit will get done and it will be a lot less stressful.

If it's a topic I'm genuinely interested in, I won't mind being the group leader.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It always depends on the group.

Yeah, and your current frame of mind. There are days when I just don't feel like dealing with people, so group work seems like hell.

The people in the group really matter, though. With the right people I can find my own niche, engage in jokes and have a good time. But I've also had bad experiences where my ideas were promptly ignored and I shriveled back into a sulk. If I had a choice between working independently or in groups, I'd instinctively go for the former.

So... I don't know which to vote for.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've found that in group projects, either I'm very interested in it and turn into an ENTJ and strong-arm the whole thing, or I'm very disinterested and do the minimum. All or nothing.

So I guess I'm a good team player only when I'm running the team.

LucrativeSid

I hate every kind of work. But, honestly, I don't even know. I can't even think of a time that I worked in a group. It could be fun if everybody was equally passionate about the project.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
When I was in school, I generally liked group work (although it was rarely assigned, aside from lab partners). I should note that I don't think that I ever was in a group-work project where we didn't get to pick our own group -- which of course makes all the difference in the world. Getting assigned a mooch as a partner would anger me to no end.

Nowadays, I don't really enjoy group work. I vastly prefer getting a task and doing it myself from start to finish. Otherwise, it always seems like I get in the position of "you're responsible for the whole thing, but you can't control what the other groupmembers do/don't do." Which I greatly dislike. Also... the efficiency of a group really does seem to be half that of the least efficient member - divided by the number of people in the group. This annoys me greatly.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm an ENFP and I hate group work.

I accidentally voted ENTP that didn't like group work, so I apologize. Careless mistake.

Group work is just...blah. I don't like having to sift through ideas and having to always make everybody happy. Perhaps group work is a more Fe thing? I have never liked it.

I love individual work. However, I don't often mind one or two others helping. But I hate being in a large group. I'm not a joiner.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I like group work when the other members keep up. If they can't, it can get annoying. Group work in school growing up was a pain in the ass, because of how inconsistent the members can be, and it becomes a game of preventing the others from dragging you down. As ways of thinking specialize further, it becomes very productive and fun, as it becomes easier to delegate among the members' particular strengths and it becomes a game of how efficient can we make this.

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't hate it all that much, but voted "dislike" because if given the choice I would work by myself. It just seems pointless when I think a lot of people - not just myself - would benefit much more from working in solitude. This is in school, but I think it would generally be the same in any environment for me. One or two partners, I'm game. But more than that and I feel like I am either doing all the work or none of it - the workload is rarely evenly divvied and the time it takes to discuss and debate options amongst a group of people with very different opinions wastes time.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I usually ended up deciding to do the entire project on my own, and convincing the other people in the group to take credit for part of the work so the teacher wouldn't know. Because I was more concerned about how their poor quality work (which it would have been by my standards, IMO) would reflect on my grade, than I was about them getting credit for my work. It worked out pretty well for me, though, because everyone could tell my standards were higher... so they wanted me to do it for them.

So, I dislike groupwork. Mostly because in my experience, "groupwork" means "convince everyone else to take credit for the better job I can do for them because I don't want my grades to slip, and then crunch to do the work of 5 people ASAP."

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Nope, I don't think groupwork is a Fe thing: most ENFJs I know hate committees. I used to really hate it even back in Grade 2 when we had to make up stories as a class with us brainstorming and adding everyone's ideas. We always ended up with a dumb story. Now I feel like if it is something I really care about, I'd rather do it on my own or be in charge. If it's something I don't care about, then it doesn't bother me, as long as I have competent people to do the project with.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I hate graded groupwork, but I love organic creative collaboration.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Groupwork is annoying and stupid. I've always ended up with people who appear to slack off, which is not something I usually care about, but it makes me nervous when my grade is determined by that particular moron. And every time you ask them how the work is going, they do something annoying like go "Yeah, yeah, I'll get it done," which makes me more nervous. And I generally don't have time to do their work as well as mine, so I potentially sacrifice a good grade for an idiot who I don't have the patience to deal with. I'm so much better on my own.

Eris

MBTI Type
IsTP
In general, I dislike group work, but I don't mind them in some situations. If I'm lucky enough to work with people I know and like, it isn't that bad. If the project in question can be evenly divided and be worked on at home in solitude (like an oral presentation, where all you have to do is talk about the part you researched), that's fine as well. What I don't like is working in a group setting when we all put our effort into one whole product that depends on everyone's contributions. I always worry about other people slacking off and bringing down my grade, which always seems to be the case. It's maddening, especially when you end up as the group leader. -_-;;

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Oh yeah, another thing that annoyed the piss out of me from school:

Peer Group teaching. I'm sure it has a more sophisticated-sounding name, but I'm sorry, if you break a class of thirty into six groups of five, and then have those groups read different chapters of a book, report on them to the class and expect them to know that information when it's on the final...what the fuck.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Depends on if I got to pick my team and if they're good at what they do. However, relying on people I don't already trust? That is one of the most alienating experiences possible.

Groupwork begs for my Te to come out. (assuming I'm the leader, or at least the de facto one)Is a person going to get the job done? If not, how is the job going to get done? Can the person be replaced? I tend to fight for my team and run a very tight ship. There's almost always a back-up to replace anyone that needs to be replaced. I can do it all myself if I need to and the group needs to understand that. Competence is key and anyone without it must be made useful or eliminated.

Isn't my taking on of shadow functions enough to imply that I DON'T like groupwork?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Oh yeah, another thing that annoyed the piss out of me from school:

Peer Group teaching. I'm sure it has a more sophisticated-sounding name, but I'm sorry, if you break a class of thirty into six groups of five, and then have those groups read different chapters of a book, report on them to the class and expect them to know that information when it's on the final...what the fuck.

The point isn't to learn the book. The point is to learn how to specialize in a particular area and then figure out how the cohesive whole works. This is what you're going to be doing in the working world on a near-constant basis.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The point isn't to learn the book. The point is to learn how to specialize in a particular area and then figure out how the cohesive whole works. This is what you're going to be doing in the working world on a near-constant basis.

Actually in the specific example I had in mind, that wasn't the point at all. The point was to try to get everyone to the "minimum level" to pass the stupid tests in order for us to move onto more material.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Actually in the specific example I had in mind, that wasn't the point at all. The point was to try to get everyone to the "minimum level" to pass the stupid tests in order for us to move onto more material.

That's called "meeting this quarter's numbers".