• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP - not sensitive?

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
I noticed that Fi is the weakest function for INTP's.

INTP - Ti Ne Si Fe Te Ni Se Fi

What are all the ramifications of that?
Are you not hurt by criticisms from other people?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Unless if the person who is criticizing me is someone whom I care about, I couldn't give a fuck.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an INFJ, but Fi is my weakest function.

I could easily feel offense if I'm embarrassed, or otherwise given an image I don't want in front of people, but you can pretty say anything to me in private and I won't react. I have much stronger emotional reactions when I see other people being criticized hurtfully without cause, though.

That's my experience of having Fi as a weakest function... an INTPs would probably be somewhat different.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I generally care about what my peers say about me. I'm a social INTP with the social need to be accepted. When someone says, "You Suck!" it hurts.

I'm not sure where Fi is on my strength to weakness of functions. And I may seem like a stone, but I'm really a marshmallow inside of a hard M&M-esque shell.:cry:

There's got to be some INTPs that are with me in this. Or maybe I'm typed wrong.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
INTPs have feelings too. They're just hidden quite well.

However, my Fi ranks in 4th place, so... be gentle.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i think its more dynamic than that. I'm pretty sensitive to rejection. But when its someone really stupid, I laugh at them. A lot of times when I'm rejected, its someone having low awkward tolerance and making terrible inferences about who I am.

criticisms? Well, coming from my INTJ professor, yeah. But he's a dick.

Usually I know more about what I'm doing than the criticizer does, so it often doesn't bother me.

Cheat1011

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm always seeing perceived slights, but I just keep my thoughts to myself. When I'm sure someone's insulting me, I usually just end up throwing sarcastic remarks out the mouth until I'm sure I offended them. When in group situations, I just become noncommutative.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can take most any vitriolic language imaginable from strangers and not bat an eyelash. Even if my good friends were to tell me something they think is a negative trait in me or criticize something I did - probably wouldn't bother me that much.

However, someone that I want to impress or gain acceptance from? Man, they have all the power to crush me under the weight of a single misplaced word.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
INTPs (ENTPs too?) can be extremely sensitive as far as how they take certain things. Sometimes it's obvious. Sometimes not. Since they don't necessarily seem to be extra sensitive with other people nor are emotionally expressive (in general, I've known and met some INTPs who are considered very kind or seem pretty social and friendly) it adds to the image of being stone cold (lol) or just untroubled by things.

I think a good visual picture would be of a wire ball with spikes, it may look prickly and tough but there are a lot of openings.

I would say of the INTPs I know irl, they can seem oblvious to certain things, certain criticisms etc., but somewhat like an INFP their real reaction is more hidden under the surface.

Also, while INTPs can be kind of blunt and even insensitive (at least the ones I know irl) at times, that doesn't mean they are immune criticism themselves. I've definitely seen the INTPs I've known, even the tough/blunt/oblivious seemings ones get really hurt or blindsided by comments, behavior, and life experiences.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
INTPs (ENTPs too?) can be extremely sensitive as far as how they take certain things. Sometimes it's obvious. Sometimes not. Since they don't necessarily seem to be extra sensitive with other people nor are emotionally expressive (in general, I've known and met some INTPs who are considered very kind or seem pretty social and friendly) it adds to the image of being stone cold (lol) or just untroubled by things.

I think a good visual picture would be of a wire ball with spikes, it may look prickly and tough but there are a lot of openings.

I would say of the INTPs I know irl, they can seem oblvious to certain things, certain criticisms etc., but somewhat like an INFP their real reaction is more hidden under the surface.

Also, while INTPs can be kind of blunt and even insensitive (at least the ones I know irl) at times, that doesn't mean they are immune criticism themselves. I've definitely seen the INTPs I've known, even the tough/blunt/oblivious seemings ones get really hurt or blindsided by comments, behavior, and life experiences.

We definitely have feelings too, but that kind of sensitivity is not exactly the same as you might think it is. There isn't a whole lot bubbling up under the surface.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I get very frustrated when people fail to understand what I'm saying, as my thoughts are pretty much the only thing I'm attached to. Once understanding is reached, though, all is well. So long as everyone is communicating, I'm dandy.

The ramification of weak Fi, the best I can tell, is that I'm just not motivated by my feelings in any significant way. I've little concept of how I might personally be affected by things, and I have trouble seeing why it should matter. Often I can't tell if I like or dislike a thing. So long as it doesn't interrupt my train of thought, and doesn't generate any particularly interesting new thoughts, I tend to be profoundly impartial. I have trouble recognizing what mood I'm in, and rarely think of taking it into account. Because, you know, why? That's just me.

My last partner seemed to assume if I expressed a preference, it was an absolute decree: I will accept this, and only this. Generally, though, uh, no. If red is important to you, by all means go with the red. I'm just saying a contrast would be more interesting. Why are you angry?

If something is important, I'll explain it in detail, so you understand the rationale behind it. If I don't do that, chances are I don't really care.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I get very frustrated when people fail to understand what I'm saying, as my thoughts are pretty much the only thing I'm attached to. Once understanding is reached, though, all is well. So long as everyone is communicating, I'm dandy.

The ramification of weak Fi, the best I can tell, is that I'm just not motivated by my feelings in any significant way. I've little concept of how I might personally be affected by things, and I have trouble seeing why it should matter. Often I can't tell if I like or dislike a thing. So long as it doesn't interrupt my train of thought, and doesn't generate any particularly interesting new thoughts, I tend to be profoundly impartial. I have trouble recognizing what mood I'm in, and rarely think of taking it into account. Because, you know, why? That's just me.

My last partner seemed to assume if I expressed a preference, it was an absolute decree: I will accept this, and only this. Generally, though, uh, no. If red is important to you, by all means go with the red. I'm just saying a contrast would be more interesting. Why are you angry?

If something is important, I'll explain it in detail, so you understand the rationale behind it. If I don't do that, chances are I don't really care.

+1. I could have written this whole post. Most times, I am indifferent. Frustration at miscommunication or misunderstanding is probably the emotion that I feel the most. The other emotion is excitement. I get really happy and excited, really quickly. I love to laugh and one funny phrase can alter whatever frustrating situation I find myself in. But I'm not an INTP, so I guess it's not relevant.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
No, I'm not sensitive.

It would take an unexpected, personalized attack from someone I trust to compel damage - and it would doubly require that the assault transpire from an unjustifiable position.

I generally prefer honesty, especially as it applies to interpersonal exchange. I dislike having to prune through opaque, politically-correct terminology to arrive at an accurate rendition of someone's stance. Said process is often time-consuming and risks potential for miscommunication (an ideal contrary to the initial 'convoluted-yet-kind' framework) which makes it difficult to find common ground.

This shouldn't imply that I find any less disagreeable rude behavior; proper etiquette is essential for valuable exchange. I simply internalize less from untoward individuals than the average person might.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm going to flip that on its back, rub its belly, and call it fascination.

yes, yes, yes. I'm going to have you be my new spokesperson. I'm fascinated, excitedly so.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hmmm, really? I was referring mostly to how other people can mistake silence or a poker face for no "internal" reaction. Especially INXP who are not as readily expressive you might not know that they are bothered (or touched) by something or the extent until they explicitly tell you later and it can catch you by surprise.

But for the "bubbling under the surface" I think this may be different for ENTPs and INTPs. I have definitely seen INTPs do and say things that catch others by surpise whether it's catch feelings for someone or blow up in anger. I don't have as much RL experience with ENTPs to compare and contrast. I think an extravert though would be more likely to naturally show their cards, so to speak.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, you should know better than me.

EDIT: I can see how that would be interpreted as rude, so I want to clarify. You should know better than me, since they are your friends.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Well, I mean. Everyone has emotions. The question is what you do with them: how much you acknowledge them, and then how much you factor them into your decisions. Of course, there are side effects to brushing your emotions aside. Unless you empty that garbage pail, it's going to overflow. Here's a bit of a recent conversation with a friend, also INTP:

> I have trouble dealing with situations like that, because I kind of try to be agreeable, but that only works up to a point. And then i suddenly snap. It probably doesn't make sense to the other party. You know, "He seemed okay with what I was doing before!"

* Yeah, I know. The sponge can only soak up so much. There was this moment in high school -- I was in a friend's room, in a kind of bad mood. I was slumped against his bed. Someone sneaked up in the hallway, and shot me in the face with a water pistol. I didn't react. I wiped my face, and kept lying there. He snuck up and did it again. Again I didn't react. He did it a third time, and I flipped out. Before I knew what I was doing, I was up and screaming and raging and kicking things with all my force. I don't know who did it. I guess he said "holy shit" and hid somewhere. But I didn't calm down for like ten minutes.

> What the fuck? Who does that three times? Or even twice?

* That guy.

> Once, i can understand. Yeah, it's retarded, but whatever. But to come BACK and do it AGAIN?

* I don't know.

> That is some fucking pathology right there.

* I know. I guess somewhere in my head, I just excused once. All right, someone's being an idiot. What else is new. Then a second time, fuck, what's wrong with that person? Oh well. But three times, it's like -- what the shit.