User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Who says it should be 8th?
    If we go by the archetypical INTP, in the theory of functions order, it should be in 8th place (Fi). In practice, for individuals who identify with the archetypical INTP profile, of course, there's variance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Galusha View Post
    This is hilarious. Not sensitive? Really? I had figured out how to make my INTP mother cry on command by the time I was twelve. They're not insensitive, it just that-- like everything else-- they need a good reason to be in a particular state of mind. A well-aimed jab will do the trick, but just barraging them with random insults or sad situations is more likely to make them pensive.

And yes, I was an evil, evil child.

a child that makes their parental figure cry for fun sounds like a child that doesnt feel they have any proper role models. mostly i would just wait for this kid to grow old enough to join the insane clown posse

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Galusha View Post
    This is hilarious. Not sensitive? Really? I had figured out how to make my INTP mother cry on command by the time I was twelve. They're not insensitive, it just that-- like everything else-- they need a good reason to be in a particular state of mind. A well-aimed jab will do the trick, but just barraging them with random insults or sad situations is more likely to make them pensive.

And yes, I was an evil, evil child.
    Was she crying because you actually hurt her, or because she birthed a child who actively tried to?

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

The 16 Type Patterns <-- This is the theory. It makes me wonder how [in]accurate it is since it's rare to see an INTP with Fi last. If anything, INTPs seem to disregard Fe.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Oh, this involves the Shadow functions. Never knew what to think of those, however I do not think Shadow functions are inherently weaker than the conscious ones, just that they aren't readily apparent to the individual that they're there. For example, the Te shadow is nearly as strong as the Ti dominant, however its use is far more unconscious beyond the notice of the Ti-dom. It would arise instinctively.

This is usually apparent on Cognitive Process tests, however I would say those aren't incredibly accurate.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I wouldn't say I'm not sensitive. There are only a few things I value personally that are like pressure points once you find them. But like I said, there are only a few.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Why am I seeing a lot of INTPs with Fi in a relatively prominent position (at least 5th place) when it should be 8th? Is it because they have INTJ (or ENTJ) tendencies that would bring it up to 3rd?
    I know an INTP who has incredibly high Fi. Those functions vary from individual to individual.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    This sucks!
    I'm trying to buy a car. I've been trying to buy a car for six months, but I can't decide. I actually prefer having my choices constrained - budget, practicality, etc - because without that I have no way of organizing the data or choosing between equally valid options. And then I just reach stalemate, or else I get so exasperated that I go out and buy the first thing I see. I don't seem to be able to make simple purchasing decisions like a normal person!!!

How do other INTPs handle this?
    Are things like size, safety features, miles-per-gallon, storage space, etc. really not an issue?

I recently bought a 2010 Mazda 3 Sport hatchback through the "cash for clunkers" program. I'm quite happy with it, fwiw, though my choices were constrained by the fact that I'm a terrible driver and need storage space. I chose the Mazda 3 over the Honda CR-V and the Hyundai Elantra because the former is much smaller, and still has lots of storage space along with modern safety features.

The Mazda 3 sport hatchback also has a grill design that makes the front end look like a smiling face, so I've decided to call my car Herbie-san.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    The 16 Type Patterns <-- This is the theory. It makes me wonder how [in]accurate it is since it's rare to see an INTP with Fi last. If anything, INTPs seem to disregard Fe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Oh, this involves the Shadow functions. Never knew what to think of those, however I do not think Shadow functions are inherently weaker than the conscious ones, just that they aren't readily apparent to the individual that they're there. For example, the Te shadow is nearly as strong as the Ti dominant, however its use is far more unconscious beyond the notice of the Ti-dom. It would arise instinctively.

This is usually apparent on Cognitive Process tests, however I would say those aren't incredibly accurate.
    I do not believe in much of any theory about the shadow functions. The most steadfast thing I believe in regarding the types is their dominant process pair. The primary cognitive process and its auxillary, like Ti-Ne. That is what defines a type, and as far as I am concerned, that is all a type defines.

I have not seen any good explanation as to why the other process pairs would be guaranteed to exist in a certain order (or why one process can't take part in two different pairs). I have read why, for example, Introverted processes only pair with Extraverted processes, or Judging only with Perceiving. When I found the explanation, it made sense, and I accepted it. I have found no such satisfying explanation for the whole process list that is given to each type.

Also, not a single test I have taken seems to have any questions that would account for the shadow functions, so they are apparently just testing to see if I'll answer for Ti-Ne, and then fill in the rest from there. That's a pretty shitty idea, since it starts really straddling the line between description and perscription, risking that the MBTI become zodiac.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Some INTPs can be insensitive to a fault. It might do them some good to take criticism to heart at times. Caring is a good thing. It helps you to grow to see yourself from other people's perspectives.

There's also the issue of being insensitive to others and totally obtuse as to how your behavior and words are affecting them.

I do find INTPs sensitive to rejection. Every time I dump an INTP he seems upset about it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe