User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post

The ramification of weak Fi, the best I can tell, is that I'm just not motivated by my feelings in any significant way. I've little concept of how I might personally be affected by things, and I have trouble seeing why it should matter. Often I can't tell if I like or dislike a thing. So long as it doesn't interrupt my train of thought, and doesn't generate any particularly interesting new thoughts, I tend to be profoundly impartial. I have trouble recognizing what mood I'm in, and rarely think of taking it into account. Because, you know, why? That's just me.

If something is important, I'll explain it in detail, so you understand the rationale behind it. If I don't do that, chances are I don't really care.

+ 10. Yes, Yes, Yes. This is exactly what it's like. I couldn't have described it better myself.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Constructive criticism is nice, in fact I seek people out who I can trust to criticize my ideas or perception of this or that. Outright mocking or aggression in general is something I don't take to anymore than anyone else. But if I can walk away or ignore the situation then I can brush it off. If I am cornered it is different.

I suppose I don't care what people think, but what they do.
    I second that, Mr. Ferrel.

Most don't realize that I actually am sensitive on the inside. But when someting hurts me, I usually don't show it externally. I have feelings, yes, but if you see them, you are either my best friend or the apocalype is at hand.
    I 79.65%
    N 67.34%
    T 80.53%
    P 75.76%

5w6 sp/so/sx

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    What are all the ramifications of that?
    Are you not hurt by criticisms from other people?
    That is one specific type of sensitivity, but it seems like people can have sensitivity in many areas that don't necessarily involve feeling hurt by criticisms. A person who is easily offended, annoyed, disturbed, or hurt by events they have no control over is sensitive in some way. People who have some invested ideal about how other people, events, or environments are supposed to play out and become upset when it doesn't happen in their projected way have a type of sensitivity. It doesn't have to be related to the emotional reactions of others, although I have noticed some Ts online who are easily offended or annoyed by emotional responses, which I interpret as some kind of sensitivity, but I'm not sure how to describe it exactly. The truly insensitive person would probably not care too much about any type of reactions from other people whether they appear overly brash, overly sensitive, or whatever.

For myself there is one corner of myself that can be hurt by criticism if it is personal and "unfair". The idea that no one can really see or know anyone else and so the opinions and judgments between people possess relative degrees of inaccuracy with no hope of ever achieving complete accuracy troubles me. I can see this as sensitivity because it is something I have no control over, so the rational thing is to simply accept it and deal with it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I have a pretty high developped Fi, according to some tests.

Am I sensitive? Not in the sense people would think of. I say I am sensitive. But I'm not as breakable or abusable. And when the sensitivity line is crossed. I don't really care as much as it would another person.

So yeah, I'm only sensitive if I want to be and towards the people I wish to be.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    That is one specific type of sensitivity, but it seems like people can have sensitivity in many areas that don't necessarily involve feeling hurt by criticisms. A person who is easily offended, annoyed, disturbed, or hurt by events they have no control over is sensitive in some way. People who have some invested ideal about how other people, events, or environments are supposed to play out and become upset when it doesn't happen in their projected way have a type of sensitivity. It doesn't have to be related to the emotional reactions of others, although I have noticed some Ts online who are easily offended or annoyed by emotional responses, which I interpret as some kind of sensitivity, but I'm not sure how to describe it exactly. The truly insensitive person would probably not care too much about any type of reactions from other people whether they appear overly brash, overly sensitive, or whatever.

Great post. In this way sensitivity is like intelligence. Several types of gauges with variance in how acutely tuned each type is but whenever the word is mentioned, it is assumed we are speaking of one measure. E.g.: criticism from someone I haven't deemed worthy of listening to: no sensitivity. Watching that person misspell things constantly? Reasoning by frequent non-sequiturs? OMG:MUST get away. You must have a nose for the thing before you get offended by it. INTPs are not insensitive, just often differently sensitive.

On the criticism thing - I must have held the person in esteem first. And it must be something I'm ashamed of. Otherwise I will either not absorb it or fail to recognize that what they've given is criticism.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    INTP function order?
    Incorrect.
    Quite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think Fi can often play itself out where the person is unaware or unable to determine their wants.

If you use Ti to construct what you "want," then whatever you want is what you can derive as the most "rational" want from information in your environment. Wants are derived, not internally spawned. I've been asked what I "want" so often and usually I don't have an idea, I just want whatever seems most rational at the time... and if the want in question cannot be derived, then I am usually ambivalent and unable to decide arbitrarily.

Fi seems to have more of an innate sense of emotional/personal wants, the personal values system itself is based on it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think guiding oneself on Ti alone tends to result in thought processes like this:

I should do A to get to B.

Why get to B?

Because when I do B, I can get to C.

Why get to C?

Because when I do C, I can get to D...

[continue indefinitely]

By thinking in a strictly logical sort of way, you can only work out the feasibility of your plan, without ever explaining why acheiving any step of it is good.

There was some point in my life when I realized that an explanation fondness and desire, and it's related things, can never terminate in logic. It either just doesn't terminate, and goes into an infinite regression, or it terminates by simply saying "that's the way it is. I feel how I feel, and I have no reason beyond that".

I think Fi is much better at getting around to the second option.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Well, I mean. Everyone has emotions. The question is what you do with them: how much you acknowledge them, and then how much you factor them into your decisions. Of course, there are side effects to brushing your emotions aside. Unless you empty that garbage pail, it's going to overflow. Here's a bit of a recent conversation with a friend, also INTP:

> I have trouble dealing with situations like that, because I kind of try to be agreeable, but that only works up to a point. And then i suddenly snap. It probably doesn't make sense to the other party. You know, "He seemed okay with what I was doing before!"

* Yeah, I know. The sponge can only soak up so much. There was this moment in high school -- I was in a friend's room, in a kind of bad mood. I was slumped against his bed. Someone sneaked up in the hallway, and shot me in the face with a water pistol. I didn't react. I wiped my face, and kept lying there. He snuck up and did it again. Again I didn't react. He did it a third time, and I flipped out. Before I knew what I was doing, I was up and screaming and raging and kicking things with all my force. I don't know who did it. I guess he said "holy shit" and hid somewhere. But I didn't calm down for like ten minutes.

> What the fuck? Who does that three times? Or even twice?

* That guy.

> Once, i can understand. Yeah, it's retarded, but whatever. But to come BACK and do it AGAIN?

* I don't know.

> That is some fucking pathology right there.

* I know. I guess somewhere in my head, I just excused once. All right, someone's being an idiot. What else is new. Then a second time, fuck, what's wrong with that person? Oh well. But three times, it's like -- what the shit.
    Woah. I guess a more positive mechanism for dealing with that would be humor. Find the kid, find the nearest bathroom and give him a swirly. Not only will you feel better, but the child would have learned a valuable lesson about teasing an INTP.

Don't get mad, get even.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    IsTP

For the most part I can brush people off who criticize me. There is no middle ground, I have a threshold and when somebody crosses it it deeply bothers me, and sometimes gets a pretty unfiltered response (if any at all).

For instance I was at the time unemployed and I had just applied at T-Mobile and screwed up the pre-screening test (admittedly I did terrible) so my application of course was never even considered. My best friend's girlfriend got wind of it and just would not leave it alone. Making small little cracks here and there, until one day..
    ".....you did just as well at that as you did applying for T-Mobile"
    "What do you do that is so special? Oh, get food stamps, right."
    I cleaned the smug smirk right off her fat, ugly head.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...