• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Do INTJ's generalize?

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you're an INTJ, do you tend to generalize?
Do you like and use generalities and general principles, rules, and trends?
Do you dislike it when other people reject your generalities?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
1.yes
2.yes
3.I am not dicussing such matters with people for which I know that they can't handle it.

The thing is that you can't talk about big picture without using generalities since you need the to create a framework if you are talking about something complex.
Once you have that you can start talking about details and specifics. (if they are important for the topic/conversation)

Glass Forest

MBTI Type
INTJ
I definitely do. Then Ss pick at the details saying it isn't possible and miss my point, it gets frustrating.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
You INTJs really have to STOP giving responses similar to what I would have given.

*goes off to retest his MBTI type*

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Do you naturally want to apply them to people?

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I think they generalize mostly because they can tend to limit the possibilities in their own minds. They construct set behaviors for certain groups and usually lock down that descriptor indefinitely.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wondered if I was the only one to have spotted the irony of the title, then read a bit and realized I was not. So that's good then :)

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I definitely do. Then Ss pick at the details saying it isn't possible and miss my point, it gets frustrating.

*Tut* .. By picking apart the details, we could possibly establish new ideas/theories etc.

Nothing is set in stone (even your thinking) ;)

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think NTs in particular have the habit of generalizing ideas/object/people/etc.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Where do you think the generalisations come from, functionally?

I always picture Te as reducing complexity, narrowing down to generalisations and principles.

I see Ti as almost emphasising complexity, weaving through from one specific to another specific. Hence why it's considered more pendatic.

I'm probably wrong though.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Where do you think the generalisations come from, functionally?

I always picture Te as reducing complexity, narrowing down to generalisations and principles.

I see Ti as almost emphasising complexity, weaving through from one specific to another specific. Hence why it's considered more pendatic.

I'm probably wrong though.

I think the intutiative part is the caused of the generalization. Because to generalize is to predict future outcome via patterns and logical deduction, which NTs enjoy doing.

S

Sniffles

Perhaps generalizing is an INJ thing? Cause INFJs do this too, especially myself. Generalizing and general themes is where I thrive.

Although from I will say that INTJs seem to have better grasp of details than I do.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think the intutiative part is the caused of the generalization. Because to generalize is to predict future outcome via patterns and logical deduction, which NTs enjoy doing.

I suppose, although I have seen a tendency to generalise amongst all TJs, not so much TPs. I don't see generalising as predicting future outcomes, I see it as making a statement with disregard for detail, seems very TJ to me.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I suppose, although I have seen a tendency to generalise amongst all TJs, not so much TPs. I don't see generalising as predicting future outcomes, I see it as making a statement with disregard for detail, seems very TJ to me.

Its partly, like if you generalize that a certain group is more likely to do certain things, you have an anchor on when you try to figure out a motive of an individual in that group or future actions he/she might take. Since understanding is one of the fundamental goal of NTs, when you have no facts, first impression would be to look at similarity and figure it out from there. Looking at the whole picture(generalizing) before trying to figure the dots that connects it all.

This website is proof enough. Majority of the people who post here are iNtutiative type.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, because it usually stems from the delusion on everyone's part (including us, to be fair) that they are a unique snowflake and the exception to everything.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I'm not sure whether I do. i get along with a lot of people, but there's some
I tend to avoid because they get kind of wishy washy and have their own un-
ique personalities, but they do these mental gymnastics to convince themsel-
ves that they don't let themselves get led around by the nose and pulled into
someone else's way of thinking because they don't want to admit that they
will be with just anybody to be with somebody. Being alone because of your
opinion not being popular is the worst thing in the world to some people