• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you like Lost?

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you like the TV show Lost?
I'm guessing that INTP's like Lost and INTJ's don't like it.
I don't like it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've watched it till the end of season two. But then with that long pauses in-between every season I've lost attention. Hell that reminds me, I have to even watch the last season of Battlestar Galactica -.-.

No, I didnt really like it, its too confusing and creating suspense for the sake of creating suspense. If there would be an overall concept to the show that clicks a bit more and more in place per episode, I think I would like it, so you can speculate after every episode whats going on. But instead of that the film concept seems to be to add more and more content that seems to be improvised on the flyby.

No dont like it.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
The first season, which is supposed to be the only good one, is profoundly tedious. Starting with the second season, which everyone hates, the show becomes rather wonderful. Suddenly all the grasping, both in terms of mythology and storyline and in terms of the show's essential focus, is gone, and it turns into Myst: The Series.

The problem with season one is that it makes the unfortunate assumption that the audience should identify with the characters. Considering that they're all pretty shallow, narrow-minded, and a little bit insane, this makes for some painful viewing. After season one, they realized it's more interesting to take an objective distance. Yes, these people are all nuts -- and they're all part of the puzzle. so let's sit back and watch them like lab rats, instead of trying to empathize with them.

Also it's clear that between seasons they sketched out a rough idea of what was actually going on with the island, as with season two suddenly the show has momentum. You'll recall that it took an entire season just for Locke to open the frickin' hatch. Practically nothing happens in season one, except that they see a few Others, and a polar bear, and the smoke creature (was it even depicted in season one, or was it just trees and noises?). Then each subsequent season is, by comparison, hugely compressed in the time it covers, yet is chock full of event. And most of it is relevant!

Speaking of pace, despite what everyone who loves season one says, from almost the start of season two, the show has been pretty consistent in explaining itself as it goes along, at about the same rate that it points out there's something bigger going on here.

The show can't keep up its steam much longer. Still, there are only, what, thirteen episodes left.

I'll agree that it's very much an NP series. Those who expect answers or straightforward explanations are going to go a bit batty. Those who want a constant stream of semi-epiphany, as an amorphous shape warps and grows more distinct, this is about as good a plaything as any.

The show works much better on DVD than on TV. On DVD, the episodes just flow into each other like chapters in a book.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
used to, first season and a bit of the second, but it had already become just one shaggy dog story after another by that time and was getting a bit absurd and uh, stupid. :mellow:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
used to, first season and a bit of the second, but it had already become just one shaggy dog story after another by that time and was getting a bit absurd and uh, stupid. :mellow:

You didn't even get to the time travel!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The show works much better on DVD than on TV. On DVD, the episodes just flow into each other like chapters in a book.

I'ld agree with that. That could be a reason to watch it again

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want to see the MU&$F*&#ING T-Rex!!!

You get to see a polar bear killed, you get to see a boar killed, where the hell is the dinosaur that smashes plam trees as he rampages through that island?

FFS, without dino-gore I am not watching anymore of that silly ass show.

I'm sticking with "Dexter."

;)

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I really wanted to like this show, I've always liked those castaway movies where people survive in some tropical paradise, but it never caught my attention long enough for me to invest my time in more than three episodes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you like the TV show Lost?
I'm guessing that INTP's like Lost and INTJ's don't like it.
I don't like it.

Bwa ha ha -- I *love* Lost... unfortunately I missed the last five-six episodes of last season and have to catch up.

But I love the ambiguity and the attempts to pull clarity and order out of the mix and not being able to do so wholesale (one resolution seems to trigger three more mysteries), along with the complexity of all the various character biographies and personalities and how they interact, along with trying to connect all the flashbacks in with the current plot mentally.

It was also nice to have that feeling that I never knew what might happen next... or who might die. There were no sacred cows, anything was possible.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You get to see a polar bear killed, you get to see a boar killed, where the hell is the dinosaur that smashes plam trees as he rampages through that island?

;)
1. I love Dexter :D
2. You actually DO get to see the monster, on many different occasions. But sadly, it's not a dinosaur. :(
3. I LOVE LOST. It's had many, many stupid parts, but the amazing parts (e.g. Ben Linus, one of the best TV villains of all time) make up for it times ten. (It's a helluva lot better than Twin Peaks, that's for certain.) I know an INTP who loves Lost, as well as quite a few others who want to get into it. Most other S types I know think that it's stupid.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I actually do enjoy lost, but I consider it kind of a guilty pleasure since it is not what I would call "good" television. It is somewhat absurd. I do like the weird mysticism and the amount of information/backstory/plot that the set up allows for, and some of the characters are interesting (I second you on Ben Linus, EJCC). I could see why one might think of xNTPs as more likely to enjoy it, because it's so open ended and Ne.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, i love lost for the simple fact that the title predicts the general feeling you will likely feel when your watching. Its like the entire show is a pun of itself.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I love lost, the thing about it is, if oyu dont watch EVERY episode, you wont get anything.

wolfy

awsm
I got sick of it in the middle of the second series. I hate the way they pull you in on TV now, I end up feeling like I have to watch, then say screw that and flag the whole series.

I prefer movies.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

;)

I hope you know that monster isn't a T-rex

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Lost.......is a pretty girl at a bar you want to bring home. You buy her drinks, make her laugh, and just when you think you have her, she gets up and blows you off and starts talking to her friend. So you buy more drinks, more compliments.....and the cycle goes on and on.

That bitch Lost......I could kill her. No I love her.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, i love lost for the simple fact that the title predicts the general feeling you will likely feel when your watching. Its like the entire show is a pun of itself.
You think Lost is confusing and ridiculous... I tried to watch Twin Peaks, on DVD, a while ago, and holy crap. You know how all the weird stuff in Lost is there for a purpose (or, at least, it feels like it)? Well, in Twin Peaks, it's there just because the creators of the show went "Wouldn't it be effed up if..."

Plus, if your TV show's bad guy is going to be an immortal being who feeds off the pain of the living, why on EARTH would you name that bad guy "Bob"???

But I will admit... when I've tried to explain Lost to friends of mine who don't watch it, it has sounded incredibly stupid. But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem dumb at all when I watch it.