User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 34

  1. #21
    Senior Member thescientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted9-3 View Post
    I am on a small dose of lexapro, and I believe it to have helped without changing my personality (although I was afraid of that). In the end, I believe the best cure to INTJ anxiety is a group of ENFP friends. Also, watch David Fincher's Fight Club.
    Lexapro is what I'm currently on. It's the only thing I've really tried.

    Interesting suggestion about ENFP friends. I know exactly what you mean about ENFP's. I do love ENFP's. They are so inspiring, uplifting and positive...BUT...see below

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Time View Post
    I've never been on medication. I feel like I might become addicted after I try them. Why? Because I am always depressed. I hate myself and I can never attain the standards I want to achieve (which are essentially impossible, trust me). I think that most INTJs are doomed to be unhappy with their lives. Although, I can say that the happiest I've ever felt in my life was after speaking with an ENFP girl. I don't know what it was about her, but talking with her for a few hours really made me happy (for a few days).

    Later, when my feelings overcame me and I put my heart out to her, she rejected me. This has caused me to be even more depressed than usual. Sometimes (really all the time), I wish I was ....
    I'm so sorry to hear your ENFP experience. I went through something similar recently so I can TOTALLY relate. An ENFP at work was interested in me initially. We dated a few times. When he realized he was no longer interested, he led me on at work for a long time and then gave me the cold shoulder. It was so hurtful because I had really fallen hard for him. After I confronted him about it, he was just vindictive and acted like a petulant child.

    I unfortunately have to continue seeing him at work. He's back from his month long trip tomorrow. I'm just bracing myself and telling myself I deserve better. Lots of positive self-talk. But this has definitely messed with my anxiety/depression.

    However, I do realize their potential to uplift us in ways others cant. They are so inspiring when they are being genuine with us. I guess I could stick with female ENFP's, but it's hard as it is for INTJ to make friends, so I dont have any close ENFP friends at the moment.

    I have a history of depression/suicide on my dads side of the fam (Dad is also INTJ, but interestingly enough, I've never seen him depressed). I think I def need psychotherapy soon. I don't like my SOLE dependence on the medication right now. I think therapy will help me rely less on the meds although not completely eliminate their need.

  2. #22
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thescientist View Post
    I was diagnosed with chronic depression about a year ago. The medication has reduced my anxiety to the point where I'm very nonchalant about things (very unlike my usual INTJ self). I find myself not caring so much about perfection or deadlines or quality (shock!). But this reduction in anxiety helps me deal with my depression.

    I feel that underneath it all I'm still an INTJ, but I wonder if the medication is making more INTP? Can medication temporarily change personality type?

    The medication is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I love being able to not care! But then I feel disappointed in myself for not caring enough! ugh...

    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Please be careful that you don't forget about those in your love who love you, spouse, family, friends, etc.

    My wife was on Zoloft for a yerar and a half in the late nineties and I was but an apparition in her life during that time, which was really hard foer me to deal with.

    Also, what ultimately won my wife's battle with anxiety/depression was lots of counseling and CBT workbooks at home. The meds only got her through the acute and debilitationg onset of it all, but did not show signs of allowing her to move forward in peace beyond the initial benefit.

    Good luck!

  3. #23
    Senior Member Uytuun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    nnnn
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thescientist View Post
    I was diagnosed with chronic depression about a year ago. The medication has reduced my anxiety to the point where I'm very nonchalant about things (very unlike my usual INTJ self). I find myself not caring so much about perfection or deadlines or quality (shock!). But this reduction in anxiety helps me deal with my depression.

    I feel that underneath it all I'm still an INTJ, but I wonder if the medication is making more INTP? Can medication temporarily change personality type?

    The medication is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I love being able to not care! But then I feel disappointed in myself for not caring enough! ugh...

    Has anyone else experienced this?
    INTPs very much care, just about different things.

    You know you're an INTJ when you're being hard on yourself about being hard on yourself. All you can really do is laugh about it.

  4. #24
    Senior Member avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    YaYa
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Makes sense that:


    INTJ- Anxiety disorder
    INTP- Depression


    Of the two I think INTJ have it worse.

  5. #25
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Makes sense that:


    INTJ- Anxiety disorder
    INTP- Depression


    Of the two I think INTJ have it worse.
    According to many professional in the mental health industry, anxiety and depression are thought of as two sides of the same coin. Prolonged anxiety can cause depression out of the hopelessness in trying to mitigate the anxiety. Being depressed for a prolonged period of time can cause anxiety, fear that it will never go away. I'm sure there are lots of ways to offer generalities as to how the two relate as such, but that's the gist of it.

    Also, I don't see how "J" or "P" or any other function can be tagged as potentially depressive/anxiolytic, especially considering the vast diversity in human experiences that can cause underlying emotional stress to anyone of any type. Not flaming or trolling, just thinking out loud...

  6. #26
    Senior Member avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    YaYa
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    According to many professional in the mental health industry, anxiety and depression are thought of as two sides of the same coin. Prolonged anxiety can cause depression out of the hopelessness in trying to mitigate the anxiety. Being depressed for a prolonged period of time can cause anxiety, fear that it will never go away. I'm sure there are lots of ways to offer generalities as to how the two relate as such, but that's the gist of it.

    Also, I don't see how "J" or "P" or any other function can be tagged as potentially depressive/anxiolytic, especially considering the vast diversity in human experiences that can cause underlying emotional stress to anyone of any type. Not flaming or trolling, just thinking out loud...
    Do you work in mental health Halla? This sounds like something a professional would say.

    Yes the two are intertwined but one is usually dominant over the other.

    J need for perfection would seem to cause anxiety over inconsistencies known as life.

    P lack of motivation and lethargy would seem less prone to anxiety and more to feelings of negative self reflection and immobility.


    I have no data to support this. Just anecdotal evidence I've observed.

  7. #27
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Moved some off topic posts to Graveyard.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  8. #28
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Do you work in mental health Halla? This sounds like something a professional would say.
    No, I am not a mental health professional. I'm just sharing wisdom that I've gained over many years working with my wife and various counselors in her quest to manage symptoms of anxiety and depression.

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Yes the two are intertwined but one is usually dominant over the other.
    Really? For everyone, at all times, in all cases? I see what you are saying, for many people one of the two (anxiety/depression) is consistently most likely dominant over the other. This makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    J need for perfection would seem to cause anxiety over inconsistencies known as life.

    P lack of motivation and lethargy would seem less prone to anxiety and more to feelings of negative self reflection and immobility.
    Those statements sound reasonable enough on their own. However, from what I've learned over the course of my life, from the people I know that have anxiety/depression, there are events in their early lives that contribute in great part to the manifestation of these neuroses as adults, regardless of their type.

    Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm merely stating that I know some depressed "J's" and a few anxious "P's."

    Anxiety and depression are most likely the two most prevalent neuroses that human beings struggle with. Either can be debilitating on their own. I give credit to those who consistently try to manage their symptoms. It is not easy. I have seen the battle fought time and again, many times. Those of us who do not have chronic anxiety/depression have alot to be thankful for.

    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I have no data to support this. Just anecdotal evidence I've observed.
    Nor do I!

  9. #29
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    INTJ + Anti-Depressants = Virginia Tech Shooting

    It's not a good mix!

  10. #30
    Senior Member Valuable_Money's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Aspergers + Anti-Depressants = Virginia Tech Shooting

    It's not a good mix!
    thats better
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Similar Threads

  1. article on anti-depressants
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-25-2017, 11:36 AM
  2. [INTJ] The INTJ nature on forums (and in life?)
    By gandalf in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 12:14 AM
  3. [MBTItm] INTJ hitting on an ISFJ
    By fragrance in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 03:54 AM
  4. [MBTItm] INTJ: gooey on the inside
    By Kalach in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
  5. [INTJ] INTJ Turn Ons
    By Thessaly in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO