User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Undoubtedly. INTJs hold high standards for themselves.

Interestingly enough, my INTJ friend had an eating problem as well, and the issue of a self-perceived, damning failure.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8-5
    Socionics
    INTj

I would say so. I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder about a year or two ago. I hadn't necessarily been stressed, but I have had multiple very bad panic attacks. What did it for me was my inability to stop thinking. Big, unanswerable questions (for example: from a logical perspective, I believe the universe as a whole to be impossible and wonder if even a god could convince me that he knew how it worked) plagued me and I was not able to let go of them. In fact, I'm still not, but I am trying hard to be "in the now." I am on a small dose of lexapro, and I believe it to have helped without changing my personality (although I was afraid of that). In the end, I believe the best cure to INTJ anxiety is a group of ENFP friends. Also, watch David Fincher's Fight Club.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ted9-3 View Post
    ...In the end, I believe the best cure to INTJ anxiety is a group of ENFP friends. ...
    Yep. Good, understanding friends always seem to help when I'm depressed or anxious. Mine are ESFJ and ENFJ, but ENFPs would do, too, if I could find some!

The other INTJs that I know have problems with anxiety and depression, so maybe it is common.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

A few months ago from my blog:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post577723

I do have problems with anxiety and depression. Less so now than before, though under stress my anxiety is amplified. I don't believe that my personality has changed, beyond the fact that I don't actively avoid people (by people I mean anyone human) anymore. Also, I drink a lot less than before and share more stuff with others. The detachment that I described in the blog entry above gradually went away too, and I started becoming more emotionally involved with the people around me. If this constitutes a personality change, I'm glad that I underwent that change.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by thescientist View Post
    I was diagnosed with chronic depression about a year ago. The medication has reduced my anxiety to the point where I'm very nonchalant about things (very unlike my usual INTJ self). I find myself not caring so much about perfection or deadlines or quality (shock!). But this reduction in anxiety helps me deal with my depression.

I feel that underneath it all I'm still an INTJ, but I wonder if the medication is making more INTP? Can medication temporarily change personality type?

The medication is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I love being able to not care! But then I feel disappointed in myself for not caring enough! ugh...

Has anyone else experienced this?
    I've never been on medication. I feel like I might become addicted after I try them. Why? Because I am always depressed. I hate myself and I can never attain the standards I want to achieve (which are essentially impossible, trust me). I think that most INTJs are doomed to be unhappy with their lives. Although, I can say that the happiest I've ever felt in my life was after speaking with an ENFP girl. I don't know what it was about her, but talking with her for a few hours really made me happy (for a few days).

Later, when my feelings overcame me and I put my heart out to her, she rejected me. This has caused me to be even more depressed than usual. Sometimes (really all the time), I wish I was ....

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Oh, uh, in answer to the OP:

And in answer to her subsequent question "Are we [INTJs] prone to have high levels of anxiety?": I am prone to a bit of anxiety now and again, but I can keep it in line pretty easily as long as I take care of myself and manage my time well. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Time View Post
    I've never been on medication. I feel like I might become addicted after I try them. Why? Because I am always depressed. I hate myself and I can never attain the standards I want to achieve (which are essentially impossible, trust me). I think that most INTJs are doomed to be unhappy with their lives. Although, I can say that the happiest I've ever felt in my life was after speaking with an ENFP girl. I don't know what it was about her, but talking with her for a few hours really made me happy (for a few days).

Later, when my feelings overcame me and I put my heart out to her, she rejected me. This has caused me to be even more depressed than usual. Sometimes (really all the time), I wish I was ....
    I don't know what to say, I'm sorry for your sadness, and persistent suffering.

Life is not easy, nor is love.

But there is still so much to be learned/discovered, so much room for growth, so much ineffable beauty to be seen, felt and absorbed.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    I don't know what to say, I'm sorry for your sadness, and persistent suffering.

Life is not easy, nor is love.

But there is still so much to be learned/discovered, so much room for growth, so much ineffable beauty to be seen, felt and absorbed.

That's an ENFP's perspective and I find it hard to absorb...I am much too rational to believe that life is full of beauty and wonder...it sucks too much in too many places and in too many ways. However, if you were telling me this in person, I don't know, I might actually like hearing you speak.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Time View Post
    That's an ENFP's perspective and I find it hard to absorb...I am much too rational to believe that life is full of beauty and wonder...it sucks too much in too many places and in too many ways.
    Life is all about perspective, and, ultimately, life is what you make of it!

Although one cannot deny the ugliness, filth, injustice, and sheer perversity inherent to life and the human condition, one can also not deny, or refuse to see the beauty of the universe, its vast complexities and intricacies, nature, in all its infinite forms is, well, fascinating, and, yes, beautiful!

Life is beautiful in its "simplexity"!

However, if you were telling me this in person, I don't know, I might actually like hearing you speak.
    :blushing:
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, are INTJ's more likely to be anxious? Or just the ones that consider themselves unsuccessful? I wake up feeling anxious most mornings myself however anxiety is a pattern in my family anyway and I'm only reading this thread because your talking about INTJ's and depression.

I've never taken meds. I went to a psychologist once who said I am mildly depressed but meds would not benefit me. So I am still wondering what normal feels like lol. Or wether he misdiagnosed me cos I'm an INTJ and maybe he didn't realise. We probably do have a lot to be anxious about. Its not easy being an INTJ. And to make it worse for me I am not successful in any of the areas you would expect an INTJ to be. An INTJ without the benefits but all of the cons. Great.

If it helps I'm not on meds but I am still disappointed in myself - for being so apathetic. Maybe if I had of been medicated for my depression years ago my life wouldn't be so off track. Without meds, and not understanding I was suffering depression and anxiety, I self medicated which I think is what led me to a clinical depression, which I then had to recover from. I wonder what my life would of been like without that interuption or a quicker recovery through the use of 'proper' medication.

To get to the point I'm sure this mild depression has prevented me being a successful INTJ and lessened my INTJ-ness. I've had some therapy and feel a lot better about myself. I know what you mean about a long time. I remember being about 5 years old and so overwhelmed by the world that I just wanted to go to sleep.

All the best. At least for me I believe I've got better at dealing with this depression as I've got older and had more experience with it. I am OK with my life.