half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Are you saying ENTPs are just like you? If so, what exactly do you mean by that?

I don't understand how people here are so comfortable justifying so much, in terms of relationships, using type theory. It boggles my mind. Maybe I'm the wrong, but it reeks of self-confirmation. It's a case of MBTI doing more harm than good I think...it skews people's perceptions.

[/rant]
    Whatever... so what is MBTI supposed to do in your opinion?

And yes, there are tons of ENTPs that are similar. I'm sure you relate to a lot of what ENFPs say, don't you? I find an eerie similarity to me in the xNTPs on this board that I don't feel with other types...

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Whatever... so what is MBTI supposed to do in your opinion?

And yes, there are tons of ENTPs that are similar. I'm sure you relate to a lot of what ENFPs say, don't you? I find an eerie similarity to me in the xNTPs on this board that I don't feel with other types...
    Yes I do relate. On some levels. But MBTI doesn't quite define my personality, on it's own at all. I can relate more with ENTPs than with ENFPs sometimes as an example. I get along very well with ISTJs. etc etc... Just what people try to say in terms of relations between types...seems utterly subjective. I mean, you know there are people with different experiences, despite experiencing the exact same type dichotomy right?

MBTI is supposed (well...it's not...you take from it what you want, but I think it's dangerous to read more into it than you should) to teach one the value of self-assessment in my opinion. It might help explain why my memory for details sucks (bad Si), but it sure doesn't explain why I can relate more with an INTJ friend than with and ENTP one.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yes I do relate. On some levels. But MBTI doesn't quite define my personality, on it's own at all. I can relate more with ENTPs than with ENFPs sometimes as an example. I get along very well with ISTJs. etc etc... Just what people try to say in terms of relations between types...seems utterly subjective. I mean, you know there are people with different experiences, despite experiencing the exact same type dichotomy right?

MBTI is supposed (well...it's not...you take from it what you want, but I think it's dangerous to read more into it than you should) to teach one the value of self-assessment in my opinion. It might help explain why my memory for details sucks (bad Si), but it sure doesn't explain why I can relate more with an INTJ friend than with and ENTP one.
    I agree with what you are getting at. I'm not defined by type either. But that Si fail is something that I have, as well as other ExNPs. Then the Ne overload, then the Ti... You understand where I'm going with this. I've never met anyone that I have had so many similarities with before and that's what creates the relation. The fact that you share so many similarities. And that in itself has made this MBTI experience worthwhile for me. The fact that we are all different, and come from all over the world, but yet are common enough that we can comfort each other.

I always thought I was a weird little monster, and maybe I am, but at least I know that there are others... And reading other posters like Synarch, I can see how I actually appear to the outside - an insight I have never been given before. Or I can see how he has dealt with the same types of issues that I currently deal with. Ok, it's not for everyone - especially those that are somewhere in the middle and don't identify strongly with a certain type. But for me, it has been somewhat validating and challenging at the same time. Especially meeting other NT women.

Maybe I am using MBTI the wrong way, but the end result is that I am kinder and more patient, more understanding. In this case, perhaps the end justifies the means?

MBTI
    ISFJ

I agree with what you are getting at. I'm not defined by type either. But that Si fail is something that I have, as well as other ExNPs. Then the Ne overload, then the Ti... You understand where I'm going with this. I've never met anyone that I have had so many similarities with before and that's what creates the relation. The fact that you share so many similarities. And that in itself has made this MBTI experience worthwhile for me. The fact that we are all different, and come from all over the world, but yet are common enough that we can comfort each other.
    Yes, I can see that. I just think 8 functions and 16 types is just a very arbitrary way to catalog things. For example, for all my bad Si, I can describe with great detail certain experiences in my life. Does my bad Si say anything about my relation with someone with Inferior or Dominant Si? I have yet to see that.

I always thought I was a weird little monster, and maybe I am, but at least I know that there are others... And reading other posters like Synarch, I can see how I actually appear to the outside - an insight I have never been given before. Or I can see how he has dealt with the same types of issues that I currently deal with. Ok, it's not for everyone - especially those that are somewhere in the middle and don't identify strongly with a certain type. But for me, it has been somewhat validating and challenging at the same time. Especially meeting other NT women.

Maybe I am using MBTI the wrong way, but the end result is that I am kinder and more patient, more understanding. In this case, perhaps the end justifies the means?
    I totally get that. I do think even if it's all BS, you can still learn from a faulty system sometimes. Think Christianity, how it teaches you to be kind, and the certainty, or lack thereof, of Jesus Christ being the son of a God entity. Even if He doesn't exist, if you go by his words the world will be a better place for sure.

That does not mean however you have to believe to do good. And what I'm saying is that justifying interpersonal relations based on type seems like risky business. I get this feel that a lot of people have preconceived ideas of how they would relate with certain types and they limit themselves in advance, drawing conclusions from subjective experiences. I think that, is not healthy, no matter how kinder and more patient you are...because you are being selective in a predefined way...that really says nothing about the future.

Besides. Why should we consider two Ti dominants any more similar between themselves than two Star Trek fans from opposite types? Similarity is in itself subjective. Depends on what you consider to be key.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I totally get that. I do think even if it's all BS, you can still learn from a faulty system sometimes. Think Christianity, how it teaches you to be kind, and the certainty, or lack thereof, of Jesus Christ being the son of a God entity. Even if He doesn't exist, if you go by his words the world will be a better place for sure.

That does not mean however you have to believe to do good. And what I'm saying is that justifying interpersonal relations based on type seems like risky business. I get this feel that a lot of people have preconceived ideas of how they would relate with certain types and they limit themselves in advance, drawing conclusions from subjective experiences. I think that, is not healthy, no matter how kinder and more patient you are...because you are being selective in a predefined way...that really says nothing about the future.

Besides. Why should we consider two Ti dominants any more similar between themselves than two Star Trek fans from opposite types? Similarity is in itself subjective. Depends on what you consider to be key.
    You are absolutely correct.

But the similarities that I am talking about create the shared experiences. For example, I have met other women with Ne dom, Ti Aux, Fe, Si. Ok, we have the similar ways of processing information. And similar ways of expressing it, as well. But the true experience is relating about how people who are not used to this type of woman respond to us. The way that we are spoken to and treated, across the globe, due to unfortunate cultural mores. The point is that you will never find 2 people who are exactly the same, even twins, but that doesn't mean that they are not similar. And ENTP women, at least, have been treated in very similar ways and this is what shapes our collective experience and gives some sort of unity. Now, did Qre:us's mom behave like mine? Of course not. But other than that, we do have a lot in common about the way we relate to people.

I don't justify solely on type, and I doubt others do either. But I think this system can be comforting and validating for some. It can be extremely damaging for others. Like Christianity and Star Trek.

Funny that the happiest one is with an ISFP. I think that relationship would drive me crazy. Which one is the female?

As far as ESTPs cheating, it comes with the territory...
    The female is ISFP. He is a neat entp. When he talks about his wife and kids I think he may tap into Fi as he gets the biggest shit eating, dumb ass grin on his face. He gets all glowy with love. All the ladies at work make fun of him.

Once I went to lunch by myself with him. His wife calls and instead of being evasive he was like "oh I'm at lunch with tina" and then proceeded to look like a total goober and drool all happy on the phone with her and tell her how much he loved her. It was hysterical. They first met over a fetal pig in his fridge he had brought home to dissect. They have been married for about 15 yeras or more.

Also I have to support certain combos being a very bad idea-enfp-entp can be catastrophic given the right combo as we play off of one another's weaknesses and needs. My best buddies though!!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    If you watched Pitchmen you saw two ENTP business partners. They seemed to get along most of the time but they were often at each others throats too. Fe was apparent. They often tried to help people out with by promoting their products just because they wanted to help those people--even if the product looked terrible. Billy Mays also volunteered to promoted some Healthcare plan because it was an issue near and dear to his heart.

This, so far, is the most encouraging example of ENTP coupledom. Now we just have to add sex, and we're golden.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I can attest to ENTP/ENTP sex... hot to death!

Are you saying ENTPs are just like you? If so, what exactly do you mean by that?

I don't understand how people here are so comfortable justifying so much, in terms of relationships, using type theory. It boggles my mind. Maybe I'm the wrong, but it reeks of self-confirmation. It's a case of MBTI doing more harm than good I think...it skews people's perceptions.

[/rant]
    Not exactly 100%. But the similarity is at least 40% or above.
    There are people that share the same type as me that I cannot relate with however.

LOL.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Yeah, I'm with you there!