User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 68

  1. #31
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    The thing is, I did talk with him seriously, but his theories where from a different planet than I live on and tho I tried to follow him, I just couldnt. So he is prolly right about the "being in a different mindset" thing.

    I dont understand the reaction tho; from what I saw he often talked to people in private and what more can one do to satisfy his needs ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  2. #32
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    The thing is, I did talk with him seriously, but his theories where from a different planet than I live on and tho I tried to follow him, I just couldnt. So he is prolly right about the "being in a different mindset" thing.

    I dont understand the reaction tho; from what I saw he often talked to people in private and what more can one do to satisfy his needs ?
    Apparently, you (with your mechanical engineering degree) are just not intelligent enough to keep up with his musings on extraverted intuition? I don't know, and I wouldn't give it a second thought, to be honest. I will talk to anyone about anything, as long as they leave the pretension at the door.

  3. #33
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    To whom it may concern,

    I've decided to leave vent for a while primarily because I've been finding the experience increasingly unrewarding. Perhaps my expectations for intellectual discussion and clarity, consistency, and elegance in diction are too high, but I find myself often disappointed with marginal exceptions. The F-dominants tend to derail controversial dicussions for sake of social harmony. The Ne-dominants tend to derail good discussions due to undisciplined extroverted intuition. Given that the majority of participants constitute ENTPs and F-types, the upshot is that these constant derailings feed a bastardization of potentially high quality discussions. Adding to the problem is the difference in mental frameworks people are operating in. I myself tune into ventrillo because I see it as a potential domain for intellectual discussions. Yet others merely use it as a social service to chit chat and satiate their bordom and nothing more. Furthermore, it has become evident that certain users are trying to become some sort of carbon copy of me, stealing my intellectual property and trying to pawn it off as their own without giving me due recognition. They fail to understand that only when they've all denied me do I return to them. Merely reiterating my ideas is tantamount to herd-behavior. It's nonsense! Fiddlesticks! And thus not what I stand for.

    The other reason for taking a vacation from vent is actually linked to my respect for certain users who have given back to me. It is for these people that I shall starve the beast for a while. Indeed, implicit in my logic is the assumption that if I starve myself socially, and go into metaphysical solitude in my cave, I will come back refreshed, filled with new ideas, models, and experiences to expound on and share. One must ask one's self how many people have we seen come on vent, given the users their best and brightest ideas only to be completely drained and intellectually bankrupt and depressed shortly after? At its lowest vitality there may be about 10 users on all bored to death and scavenging like animals searching for food in anything--any new person to come on with any new idea. I myself have strived to be a catelogue for theories, an infinite abyss for insights, and a surgeon with logic. But I want to leave while my stock is still high and I want to come back when it's higher.

    As mentioned, some members have given back to me and thus I will mention only briefly a few things that have stood out in the vent experience and pay them due respect. First of all, despite all test results, I don't think there are as many NTs on vent as people who claim to be. There are many Ns with high intuition that's not accompanied by strict logic and clear thinking. These intuitionists often have hearts well placed but are subject to momentary impressions and as a result find themselves in logical contradictions. On the other hand, there are also some users with sound logic but whose imagination is clearly in poverty. There aren't many with both a wealthy imagination and solid logic, intuition combined with grand thinking. In my books, SolitaryWalker has earned this category and is one of the few users that has given back to me intellectually.

    Second, I respect Jeffster as one of the few vent users who seems to be by and large true to himself. While many users strive to cherry pick a personality that they like at that particular moment, Jeffster has a base-personality that is consistent and particular only to himself. Jeffster is also able to laugh at himself, which makes him likeable and easy company.

    Third, I respect Thatgirl for her natural aptitude and interest in philosophical affairs. I'd say the hidden link between Thatgirl and I is in metaphysical solitude.

    In conclusion, I will be going on a vacation from ventrillo for a while. I will be injecting myself with Russian literature (Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Gogol, and so on). I will be writing lots of interesting things down and engaging in passionate creative contemplation in my solitude from time to time. I will be preparing a mental framework for my Master's program beginning in September. Once I get a new laptop and have systematized and militarized every dimension of my life to a strict regiment, I will consider descending from my side of the mountain and returning to vent.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!!!

    Srsly?!?!?

    Thanks for the memo, I feel more complete now.

    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  4. #34
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!!!

    Srsly?!?!?

    Thanks for the memo, I feel more complete now.

    +1

    *files under good to know*
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  5. #35
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I agree, but you can't make everyone interested at the same time, and that's the point. It annoys me, too but you can't change human nature.
    It's all good. Perhaps now it will be more fun that we can choose to be crazy in some areas and really seriously discuss in others. We'll see.

    By the way, I haven't seen you on there before, I don't think. It would be interesting!

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I am leaving ventrillo too, noone wants to talk with me about cars
    Hahaha awwww But what about our discussion about your ingenious plan???



    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    well, you will certainly be missed!
    Definitely, but he'd better not leave, or I'll kick his....

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    As a side note tho: guess who he meant when he talked about the less logical types who derail every serious convo
    Hmm, if so, you're not alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I don't care to guess. He already called out ENTPs and "F" types. So basically, anyone who isn't him or Jeffster - who is an F type. Maybe he should just get Jeffster's phone number directly...
    Ah well, I think he was right to vent his frustration, but he *could* have done it in a less offensive manner....

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    The thing is, I did talk with him seriously, but his theories where from a different planet than I live on and tho I tried to follow him, I just couldnt. So he is prolly right about the "being in a different mindset" thing.

    I dont understand the reaction tho; from what I saw he often talked to people in private and what more can one do to satisfy his needs ?
    If people don't feel comfy, then yes, they should leave and find a better place. However, it is in the best interests of this forum to cater to as many different interests as possible to keep it interesting. It's a delicate play between keeping it interesting, light-hearted, and fun and allowing enough room for intellectual discussion, debate, new ideas, and development. I think they are on the right road though. I'm happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Apparently, you (with your mechanical engineering degree) are just not intelligent enough to keep up with his musings on extraverted intuition? I don't know, and I wouldn't give it a second thought, to be honest. I will talk to anyone about anything, as long as they leave the pretension at the door.
    True.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!!!

    Srsly?!?!?

    Thanks for the memo, I feel more complete now.

    CC: YOU'RE BACK OMG!!!!!!

    Oops, I derailed the thread. Dang it.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  6. #36
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    By the way, I haven't seen you on there before, I don't think. It would be interesting!
    I was on there every day for a while, but I got annoyed by a little troll who shall remain nameless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Ah well, I think he was right to vent his frustration, but he *could* have done it in a less offensive manner....
    Very true and I would never deny his right to do so. But I reserve my right to ridicule and derail.


    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    CC: YOU'RE BACK OMG!!!!!!
    This was a welcome surprise! You left before I got a chance to really get to know you.

  7. #37
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    If people don't feel comfy, then yes, they should leave and find a better place. However, it is in the best interests of this forum to cater to as many different interests as possible to keep it interesting. It's a delicate play between keeping it interesting, light-hearted, and fun and allowing enough room for intellectual discussion, debate, new ideas, and development. I think they are on the right road though. I'm happy.
    Fair enough, I'll have a bit more regard to people who want to have a serious discussion.

    But I am still gonna concentrate on the lighthearted part only, cause I am too dumb for serious discussions (as in I dont want to have em with just every foreigner)
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    To whom it may concern,

    I've decided to leave vent for a while primarily because I've been finding the experience increasingly unrewarding. Perhaps my expectations for intellectual discussion and clarity, consistency, and elegance in diction are too high, but I find myself often disappointed with marginal exceptions. The F-dominants tend to derail controversial dicussions for sake of social harmony. The Ne-dominants tend to derail good discussions due to undisciplined extroverted intuition. Given that the majority of participants constitute ENTPs and F-types, the upshot is that these constant derailings feed a bastardization of potentially high quality discussions. Adding to the problem is the difference in mental frameworks people are operating in. I myself tune into ventrillo because I see it as a potential domain for intellectual discussions. Yet others merely use it as a social service to chit chat and satiate their bordom and nothing more. Furthermore, it has become evident that certain users are trying to become some sort of carbon copy of me, stealing my intellectual property and trying to pawn it off as their own without giving me due recognition. They fail to understand that only when they've all denied me do I return to them. Merely reiterating my ideas is tantamount to herd-behavior. It's nonsense! Fiddlesticks! And thus not what I stand for.

    The other reason for taking a vacation from vent is actually linked to my respect for certain users who have given back to me. It is for these people that I shall starve the beast for a while. Indeed, implicit in my logic is the assumption that if I starve myself socially, and go into metaphysical solitude in my cave, I will come back refreshed, filled with new ideas, models, and experiences to expound on and share. One must ask one's self how many people have we seen come on vent, given the users their best and brightest ideas only to be completely drained and intellectually bankrupt and depressed shortly after? At its lowest vitality there may be about 10 users on all bored to death and scavenging like animals searching for food in anything--any new person to come on with any new idea. I myself have strived to be a catelogue for theories, an infinite abyss for insights, and a surgeon with logic. But I want to leave while my stock is still high and I want to come back when it's higher.

    As mentioned, some members have given back to me and thus I will mention only briefly a few things that have stood out in the vent experience and pay them due respect. First of all, despite all test results, I don't think there are as many NTs on vent as people who claim to be. There are many Ns with high intuition that's not accompanied by strict logic and clear thinking. These intuitionists often have hearts well placed but are subject to momentary impressions and as a result find themselves in logical contradictions. On the other hand, there are also some users with sound logic but whose imagination is clearly in poverty. There aren't many with both a wealthy imagination and solid logic, intuition combined with grand thinking. In my books, SolitaryWalker has earned this category and is one of the few users that has given back to me intellectually.

    Second, I respect Jeffster as one of the few vent users who seems to be by and large true to himself. While many users strive to cherry pick a personality that they like at that particular moment, Jeffster has a base-personality that is consistent and particular only to himself. Jeffster is also able to laugh at himself, which makes him likeable and easy company.

    Third, I respect Thatgirl for her natural aptitude and interest in philosophical affairs. I'd say the hidden link between Thatgirl and I is in metaphysical solitude.

    In conclusion, I will be going on a vacation from ventrillo for a while. I will be injecting myself with Russian literature (Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Gogol, and so on). I will be writing lots of interesting things down and engaging in passionate creative contemplation in my solitude from time to time. I will be preparing a mental framework for my Master's program beginning in September. Once I get a new laptop and have systematized and militarized every dimension of my life to a strict regiment, I will consider descending from my side of the mountain and returning to vent.
    My read from this was that you think that conversation isn't interesting if it isn't about topics that YOU find personally interesting. We have good conversations in there all the time about topics that do indeed follow an intellectual pursuit and topics that don't. There is no set ideal of what sort of atmosphere the room should have. I'm sorry you feel as if you have to go to lengths to post a letter of sorts stating your respect for a few but your lack of disrespect for all of the rest of us.. It's a little insulting, to me, that you think many of us lack "logic and clear thinking". I suppose it's your opinion, but it's still kind of negative, IMO.

  9. #39
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuffledINTP View Post
    My read from this was that you think that conversation isn't interesting if it isn't about topics that YOU find personally interesting.
    Basically... +1

    I'm not insulted at all, though. I always consider the source.

  10. #40
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Fair enough, I'll have a bit more regard to people who want to have a serious discussion.

    But I am still gonna concentrate on the lighthearted part only, cause I am too dumb for serious discussions (as in I dont want to have em with just every foreigner)
    I think you know that I'm light-hearted for the most part. Seriousness is something for 'real life'; of course, I'm open for having intellectual discussions to exchange ideas and thoughts on the Internet as well, and I think we do that to a great extent. Nonetheless I respect people's right to want to avoid all our craziness/silliness, as I realize it's not for everyone. That was the only point I was bringing out - that a divided chatroom might make everyone happier, insofar as people can then choose what they prefer, and no one feels uncomfortable.

    But I don't have to tell you that I'm the biggest 'silliness' offender in the place. Still, I can have serious discussions if I feel engaged.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Similar Threads

  1. Would you take money from someone who looked poorer than you?
    By BadOctopus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 01:52 AM
  2. ThatGirl Still Hasn't Taken a Vacation From Ventrillo
    By ThatGirl in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 02:32 PM
  3. [SP] My take on functions from an SP perception
    By Poki in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM
  4. Taking Communism away from the Communists: The Origins of Modern American Liberalism
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
  5. [NT] Would Taking A Leave From College Help?
    By Mondo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO