• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Provoker Takes Vacation from Ventrillo

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's funny: on the one hand, I understand his point, and on the other hand I understand Night/Athenian's point.

This is probably a sign of lack of personal development on my part, but I generally reflect the environment around me. Meaning, if everyone's hog-wild crazy, I'm likely to be 5 times hog-wild and crazy as everyone else. If everyone's intellectual and discussing ideas, I'm likely to be 5 times more interested in these things. And if everything's all mixed up, I'm Serious-Crazy-Serious-Crazy-Serious-Crazy, and I'm like whoooooaaaaaa.

Point being I like the new idea of having separate rooms/chats. Then when people feel like venting craziness you can, and if people feel like discussing serious things you can. Everyone's happy. No one is disgruntled. And all's well....Theoretically, at least.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Agreed.

A big part of being intelligent is recognizing when to expect it in others.

Agreed. it may be more satisfying for you to hang out on the AMA board, if they have one. Oh wait, MBTI isn't recognized by the AMA... oh well.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's funny: on the one hand, I understand his point, and on the other hand I understand Night/Athenian's point.

This is probably a sign of lack of personal development on my part, but I generally reflect the environment around me. Meaning, if everyone's hog-wild crazy, I'm likely to be 5 times hog-wild and crazy as everyone else. If everyone's intellectual and discussing ideas, I'm likely to be 5 times more interested in these things. And if everything's all mixed up, I'm Serious-Crazy-Serious-Crazy-Serious-Crazy, and I'm like whoooooaaaaaa.

Point being I like the new idea of having separate rooms/chats. Then when people feel like venting craziness (like me) you can, and if people feel like discussing serious things (like me) you can. Everyone's happy. No one is disgruntled. And all's well....Theoretically, at least.

LL, the point is that you can't control conversations. I get annoyed on vent as well, but then I simply log off. You can't get blood from a stone. And then accuse said stone of sucking your blood.

Vent wasn't created for philosophizing any more than it was created for fluff. It seems to be that it is a carbon copy of the board, just with voice. And this board isn't all that intellectual all the time.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, but I don't think it's too much to ask to expect people who are interested in psychology and delving into the human mind/heart/being/whatever to be occasionally interested in serious discussion as opposed to friendly banter.

Everything has its time and place.

And having a place for both is a good start.

Just my idea. Maybe I'm way off base, but, yeah....:blush: :cool: :D

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Agreed. it may be more satisfying for you to hang out on the AMA board, if they have one. Oh wait, MBTI isn't recognized by the AMA... oh well.

Nah.

He's 'injecting' himself with Russian literature (readily identifiable 'undergrad' authors, at that . . .). Should make for enough of an uncomfortable interim, without the realization that a cornerstone personality evaluation isn't embraced by the intellectual bourgeois.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, but I don't think it's too much to ask to expect people who are interested in psychology and delving into the human mind/heart/being/whatever to be occasionally interested in serious discussion as opposed to friendly banter.

Everything has its time and place.

And having a place for both is a good start.

Just my idea. Maybe I'm way off base, but, yeah....:blush: :cool: :D

I agree, but you can't make everyone interested at the same time, and that's the point. It annoys me, too but you can't change human nature.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am leaving ventrillo too, noone wants to talk with me about cars

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
As a side note tho: guess who he meant when he talked about the less logical types who derail every serious convo :D

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
As a side note tho: guess who he meant when he talked about the less logical types who derail every serious convo :D

I don't care to guess. He already called out ENTPs and "F" types. So basically, anyone who isn't him or Jeffster - who is an F type. Maybe he should just get Jeffster's phone number directly...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The thing is, I did talk with him seriously, but his theories where from a different planet than I live on and tho I tried to follow him, I just couldnt. So he is prolly right about the "being in a different mindset" thing.

I dont understand the reaction tho; from what I saw he often talked to people in private and what more can one do to satisfy his needs ?

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The thing is, I did talk with him seriously, but his theories where from a different planet than I live on and tho I tried to follow him, I just couldnt. So he is prolly right about the "being in a different mindset" thing.

I dont understand the reaction tho; from what I saw he often talked to people in private and what more can one do to satisfy his needs ?

Apparently, you (with your mechanical engineering degree) are just not intelligent enough to keep up with his musings on extraverted intuition? I don't know, and I wouldn't give it a second thought, to be honest. I will talk to anyone about anything, as long as they leave the pretension at the door.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
To whom it may concern,

I've decided to leave vent for a while primarily because I've been finding the experience increasingly unrewarding. Perhaps my expectations for intellectual discussion and clarity, consistency, and elegance in diction are too high, but I find myself often disappointed with marginal exceptions. The F-dominants tend to derail controversial dicussions for sake of social harmony. The Ne-dominants tend to derail good discussions due to undisciplined extroverted intuition. Given that the majority of participants constitute ENTPs and F-types, the upshot is that these constant derailings feed a bastardization of potentially high quality discussions. Adding to the problem is the difference in mental frameworks people are operating in. I myself tune into ventrillo because I see it as a potential domain for intellectual discussions. Yet others merely use it as a social service to chit chat and satiate their bordom and nothing more. Furthermore, it has become evident that certain users are trying to become some sort of carbon copy of me, stealing my intellectual property and trying to pawn it off as their own without giving me due recognition. They fail to understand that only when they've all denied me do I return to them. Merely reiterating my ideas is tantamount to herd-behavior. It's nonsense! Fiddlesticks! And thus not what I stand for.

The other reason for taking a vacation from vent is actually linked to my respect for certain users who have given back to me. It is for these people that I shall starve the beast for a while. Indeed, implicit in my logic is the assumption that if I starve myself socially, and go into metaphysical solitude in my cave, I will come back refreshed, filled with new ideas, models, and experiences to expound on and share. One must ask one's self how many people have we seen come on vent, given the users their best and brightest ideas only to be completely drained and intellectually bankrupt and depressed shortly after? At its lowest vitality there may be about 10 users on all bored to death and scavenging like animals searching for food in anything--any new person to come on with any new idea. I myself have strived to be a catelogue for theories, an infinite abyss for insights, and a surgeon with logic. But I want to leave while my stock is still high and I want to come back when it's higher.

As mentioned, some members have given back to me and thus I will mention only briefly a few things that have stood out in the vent experience and pay them due respect. First of all, despite all test results, I don't think there are as many NTs on vent as people who claim to be. There are many Ns with high intuition that's not accompanied by strict logic and clear thinking. These intuitionists often have hearts well placed but are subject to momentary impressions and as a result find themselves in logical contradictions. On the other hand, there are also some users with sound logic but whose imagination is clearly in poverty. There aren't many with both a wealthy imagination and solid logic, intuition combined with grand thinking. In my books, SolitaryWalker has earned this category and is one of the few users that has given back to me intellectually.

Second, I respect Jeffster as one of the few vent users who seems to be by and large true to himself. While many users strive to cherry pick a personality that they like at that particular moment, Jeffster has a base-personality that is consistent and particular only to himself. Jeffster is also able to laugh at himself, which makes him likeable and easy company.

Third, I respect Thatgirl for her natural aptitude and interest in philosophical affairs. I'd say the hidden link between Thatgirl and I is in metaphysical solitude.

In conclusion, I will be going on a vacation from ventrillo for a while. I will be injecting myself with Russian literature (Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Gogol, and so on). I will be writing lots of interesting things down and engaging in passionate creative contemplation in my solitude from time to time. I will be preparing a mental framework for my Master's program beginning in September. Once I get a new laptop and have systematized and militarized every dimension of my life to a strict regiment, I will consider descending from my side of the mountain and returning to vent.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!!!

Srsly?!?!?

Thanks for the memo, I feel more complete now.

:hug:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree, but you can't make everyone interested at the same time, and that's the point. It annoys me, too but you can't change human nature.

It's all good. Perhaps now it will be more fun that we can choose to be crazy in some areas and really seriously discuss in others. We'll see.

By the way, I haven't seen you on there before, I don't think. It would be interesting! :)

I am leaving ventrillo too, noone wants to talk with me about cars

Hahaha awwww :D But what about our discussion about your ingenious plan??? :D

:devil:

well, you will certainly be missed! :hug:

Definitely, but he'd better not leave, or I'll kick his....

Hmm, if so, you're not alone. :hug:

I don't care to guess. He already called out ENTPs and "F" types. So basically, anyone who isn't him or Jeffster - who is an F type. Maybe he should just get Jeffster's phone number directly...

Ah well, I think he was right to vent his frustration, but he *could* have done it in a less offensive manner....

If people don't feel comfy, then yes, they should leave and find a better place. However, it is in the best interests of this forum to cater to as many different interests as possible to keep it interesting. It's a delicate play between keeping it interesting, light-hearted, and fun and allowing enough room for intellectual discussion, debate, new ideas, and development. I think they are on the right road though. I'm happy. :)

Apparently, you (with your mechanical engineering degree) are just not intelligent enough to keep up with his musings on extraverted intuition? I don't know, and I wouldn't give it a second thought, to be honest. I will talk to anyone about anything, as long as they leave the pretension at the door.

True.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!!!

Srsly?!?!?

Thanks for the memo, I feel more complete now.

:hug:

CC: YOU'RE BACK OMG!!!!!! :D

Oops, I derailed the thread. Dang it. :doh:

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
By the way, I haven't seen you on there before, I don't think. It would be interesting! :)

I was on there every day for a while, but I got annoyed by a little troll who shall remain nameless.

Ah well, I think he was right to vent his frustration, but he *could* have done it in a less offensive manner....

Very true and I would never deny his right to do so. But I reserve my right to ridicule and derail.

CC: YOU'RE BACK OMG!!!!!! :D

This was a welcome surprise! You left before I got a chance to really get to know you. :(

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If people don't feel comfy, then yes, they should leave and find a better place. However, it is in the best interests of this forum to cater to as many different interests as possible to keep it interesting. It's a delicate play between keeping it interesting, light-hearted, and fun and allowing enough room for intellectual discussion, debate, new ideas, and development. I think they are on the right road though. I'm happy. :)

Fair enough, I'll have a bit more regard to people who want to have a serious discussion.

But I am still gonna concentrate on the lighthearted part only, cause I am too dumb for serious discussions :D (as in I dont want to have em with just every foreigner)

ring the bell

To whom it may concern,

I've decided to leave vent for a while primarily because I've been finding the experience increasingly unrewarding. Perhaps my expectations for intellectual discussion and clarity, consistency, and elegance in diction are too high, but I find myself often disappointed with marginal exceptions. The F-dominants tend to derail controversial dicussions for sake of social harmony. The Ne-dominants tend to derail good discussions due to undisciplined extroverted intuition. Given that the majority of participants constitute ENTPs and F-types, the upshot is that these constant derailings feed a bastardization of potentially high quality discussions. Adding to the problem is the difference in mental frameworks people are operating in. I myself tune into ventrillo because I see it as a potential domain for intellectual discussions. Yet others merely use it as a social service to chit chat and satiate their bordom and nothing more. Furthermore, it has become evident that certain users are trying to become some sort of carbon copy of me, stealing my intellectual property and trying to pawn it off as their own without giving me due recognition. They fail to understand that only when they've all denied me do I return to them. Merely reiterating my ideas is tantamount to herd-behavior. It's nonsense! Fiddlesticks! And thus not what I stand for.

The other reason for taking a vacation from vent is actually linked to my respect for certain users who have given back to me. It is for these people that I shall starve the beast for a while. Indeed, implicit in my logic is the assumption that if I starve myself socially, and go into metaphysical solitude in my cave, I will come back refreshed, filled with new ideas, models, and experiences to expound on and share. One must ask one's self how many people have we seen come on vent, given the users their best and brightest ideas only to be completely drained and intellectually bankrupt and depressed shortly after? At its lowest vitality there may be about 10 users on all bored to death and scavenging like animals searching for food in anything--any new person to come on with any new idea. I myself have strived to be a catelogue for theories, an infinite abyss for insights, and a surgeon with logic. But I want to leave while my stock is still high and I want to come back when it's higher.

As mentioned, some members have given back to me and thus I will mention only briefly a few things that have stood out in the vent experience and pay them due respect. First of all, despite all test results, I don't think there are as many NTs on vent as people who claim to be. There are many Ns with high intuition that's not accompanied by strict logic and clear thinking. These intuitionists often have hearts well placed but are subject to momentary impressions and as a result find themselves in logical contradictions. On the other hand, there are also some users with sound logic but whose imagination is clearly in poverty. There aren't many with both a wealthy imagination and solid logic, intuition combined with grand thinking. In my books, SolitaryWalker has earned this category and is one of the few users that has given back to me intellectually.

Second, I respect Jeffster as one of the few vent users who seems to be by and large true to himself. While many users strive to cherry pick a personality that they like at that particular moment, Jeffster has a base-personality that is consistent and particular only to himself. Jeffster is also able to laugh at himself, which makes him likeable and easy company.

Third, I respect Thatgirl for her natural aptitude and interest in philosophical affairs. I'd say the hidden link between Thatgirl and I is in metaphysical solitude.

In conclusion, I will be going on a vacation from ventrillo for a while. I will be injecting myself with Russian literature (Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Gogol, and so on). I will be writing lots of interesting things down and engaging in passionate creative contemplation in my solitude from time to time. I will be preparing a mental framework for my Master's program beginning in September. Once I get a new laptop and have systematized and militarized every dimension of my life to a strict regiment, I will consider descending from my side of the mountain and returning to vent.

My read from this was that you think that conversation isn't interesting if it isn't about topics that YOU find personally interesting. We have good conversations in there all the time about topics that do indeed follow an intellectual pursuit and topics that don't. There is no set ideal of what sort of atmosphere the room should have. I'm sorry you feel as if you have to go to lengths to post a letter of sorts stating your respect for a few but your lack of disrespect for all of the rest of us.. It's a little insulting, to me, that you think many of us lack "logic and clear thinking". I suppose it's your opinion, but it's still kind of negative, IMO.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
My read from this was that you think that conversation isn't interesting if it isn't about topics that YOU find personally interesting.

Basically... +1

I'm not insulted at all, though. I always consider the source.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fair enough, I'll have a bit more regard to people who want to have a serious discussion.

But I am still gonna concentrate on the lighthearted part only, cause I am too dumb for serious discussions :D (as in I dont want to have em with just every foreigner)

I think you know that I'm light-hearted for the most part. Seriousness is something for 'real life'; of course, I'm open for having intellectual discussions to exchange ideas and thoughts on the Internet as well, and I think we do that to a great extent. Nonetheless I respect people's right to want to avoid all our craziness/silliness, as I realize it's not for everyone. That was the only point I was bringing out - that a divided chatroom might make everyone happier, insofar as people can then choose what they prefer, and no one feels uncomfortable.

But I don't have to tell you that I'm the biggest 'silliness' offender in the place. :devil: Still, I can have serious discussions if I feel engaged.