First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    No offense, but it seems to me that you're trying to cultivate an intellectual discourse from the wrong starting material. MBTI is a theory that tends to attract NFs slightly more than NTs, in my experience. Especially in a discussion format. It's my personal belief that Jung and Isabel Myers were NF types themselves.
    So what? I'm an NF and I really enjoy intellectual and theoretical discussion.

Essentially, the people you're interacting with do not actually wish to engage in an intellectually intense discussion. That is your goal, and it isn't shared by the others, who simply want to interact on a much simpler mental level. It's somewhat unfair for you to demand that they contribute to a goal that only you and a few others have.
    How do you know ANY of this? I've never seen you in ventrilo and I've been a regular in there for many many months. Separate rooms and separate chats would solve this issue, but we don't have that for vent.

There are free chat services that we could you, you get a temporary room and you just simply enter in and enter in your name. I've used them before for talking to people.

So, it seems to me that what you should do, is gather up SolitaryWalker, and a few other philosophical types (perhaps from philosophy or high-level mathematical forums) that want to create the kind of environment you desire, and create a new Vent channel oriented towards that purpose. The current forum population, and Vent channel, is more general purpose and quite simply not suited to fulfilling the intellectual demands you're making on it.
    There is already the super serious discussion room. Since I've never seen you in there, ever, I'm not sure how you would know otherwise. There isn't just one vent channel... where are you getting this information? Super serious discussion IS for this kind of talk, but as we've said before the chat just basically ruins it.

Basically, create something specifically geared towards your purposes, rather than attempting to appropriate something that wasn't designed for them in the first place.
    I've already answered this, but I'll say it again. We already have rooms designed for this kind of thing and I'm not sure how you're getting any of this information having not been in vent to witness any of this. Ventrilo is designed for communication, so saying ventrilo isn't designed for what Provoker wants to use it for is ridiculous.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    So what? I'm an NF and I really enjoy intellectual and theoretical discussion.
    Well, yes. Who doesn't, once in a while? But Provoker pointed out that he believed that there were more NFs and STs than NTs (which he was bothered by), and I was explaining that that this shouldn't be surprising to him for several reasons.

I don't hold a prejudice that NT thoughts and perspectives are more valuable than NF thoughts and perspectives on philosophical topics, if that's your concern. I just assume that he's more interested in NT perspectives than other perspectives from the way he presented the situation.
    How do you know ANY of this? I've never seen you in ventrilo and I've been a regular in there for many many months. Separate rooms and separate chats would solve this issue, but we don't have that for vent.

There are free chat services that we could you, you get a temporary room and you just simply enter in and enter in your name. I've used them before for talking to people.
    I was on there once. And I don't need to be a participant to understand the underlying situation. Besides, you illustrated the known problem with your own solution.
    There is already the super serious discussion room. Since I've never seen you in there, ever, I'm not sure how you would know otherwise. There isn't just one vent channel... where are you getting this information? Super serious discussion IS for this kind of talk, but as we've said before the chat just basically ruins it.

I've already answered this, but I'll say it again. We already have rooms designed for this kind of thing and I'm not sure how you're getting any of this information having not been in vent to witness any of this. Ventrilo is designed for communication, so saying ventrilo isn't designed for what Provoker wants to use it for is ridiculous.
    Ventrillo itself isn't "designed" for any particular purpose. I certainly agree that it, as a protocol, could be used for that. You misunderstood my point. I was saying that the goal of the PEOPLE who interact in that particular Ventrillo "room" or community (which I presume is the same group that posts on the forums) obviously doesn't align well with Provoker's goals given his description of the situation.

I'm aware of the other room. I'm also aware that the room is basically an appendage on the "normal" part of the Vent server only used by a few people, and that there's a only single text chat room that would be distracting if he were trying to use it for that purpose.

My entire point was that there are more appropriate places to look for intense intellectual discussion than the Typology Central Ventrillo Server (which is going to attract mostly, guess what, Typology Central members). And he is looking for something other than what most Typology Central members are seeking.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post756921

So, now we can have our banter and our rigorous discussions as well.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post756921

So, now we can have our banter and our rigorous discussions as well.

Well, that guarantees that forum rules will be enforced. That doesn't really seem related to the problems Provoker was having with Vent from the way he described it (seemed more related to the casual atmosphere), but maybe he was talking about something other than what he seemed to be talking about (like people breaking rules), and you knew about it? Seems like the only solution to actually create what you described would have been dividing the chat into channels so that it only showed text from the people on the channel you were on.

This doesn't make any sense. I have a feeling Vent itself doesn't tend to make much sense in general. Probably a good thing I don't go there, I'd probably get confused.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Well, that guarantees that forum rules will be enforced. That doesn't really seem related to the problems Provoker was having with Vent from the way he described it (seemed more related to the casual atmosphere), but maybe he was talking about something other than what he seemed to be talking about, and you knew about it? Who knows.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, but that link right there went to a post that said we're now using text chat filtering which effectively means each voice chat has its own associated text chat. Which means, if Provoker doesn't want to be a part of the banter, he can have his serious discussion in one of the sub rooms and not be assaulted by NFs and Ss blowing off steam.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, but that link right there went to a post that said we're now using text chat filtering which effectively means each voice chat has its own associated text chat. Which means, if Provoker doesn't want to be a part of the banter, he can have his serious discussion in one of the sub rooms and not be assaulted by NFs and Ss blowing off steam.
    Oh!

That would solve the problem.

The link took me to the first post in the thread. You must have said that on a different post. Yep, just looked at the last post in the thread... you did indeed say that.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Provoker, that's really too bad that you're leaving. Actually, I find it quite interesting to have you in there, as you are one of the few people who actually increases the level of conversation in there.

I admit that sometimes I can be a little crazy and silly on there, and I do apologize if I ever unintentionally derailed your conversations. But I thought you and I had a great deal of interesting conversations on there, didn't we? (Politics, economy, etc.) And surely there are other people you enjoy conversing with, even if I did not match your ideal representative of intellectual sparring.

Personally, I find it easier to have intelligent conversations on a one-to-one level. I'll admit that as an Ne-dominant, I often get distracted, and so discussing on an eye-to-eye basis often means that I can focus better and stay on track. Even that is difficult for me, but if I'm engaged, I can sometimes shut off everything else, close chat, etc.

Hopefully I'm not one of the ones who made you disgruntled, but I hope you remember that I always stood up for you in there, and I think you made great contributions. But that's just me.

However, in the end, you need to decide what is the most fruitful for you. If you have determined that sparring in the Ventrilo chat does not provide you with the intellectual stimulus you need, I completely think you have every right to find something more suitable. Nonetheless, if you change your mind, I would love to pick your brain and engage in some interesting topics, even if it is more me listening to you and asking you challenging questions.

What do you say?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

What intellectual property have you given that you haven't been credited for, in people's attempt to copy you?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, too. Damn! I would be pissed off about that as well.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

It seems to me that you're trying to cultivate an intellectual discourse from the wrong starting material.
    Agreed.

A big part of being intelligent is recognizing when to expect it in others.

That said, this is exactly the type of response I'd expect from you, Provoker.