First 1234 Last

Thread: INTJ weaknesses

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by oort cloud View Post
    This got me thinking, what would be the most appropriate (honest) INTJ reply? Obviously the answers need to be somewhat positive, but all I can think of are are clich ones (i.e. I'm too much of a perfectionist; I push myself too hard). Clich is not good.

Any ideas for a good answer?
    Casually tell your interviewer possibly whispering into her ear "yeah (pause) I try to keep this on the down-low (pause) but (pause) I'm actually an arrogant bastard"
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    "Well, my weakness? Sometimes I look at small children and I get these strange pictures in my head, but, like, I know this job needs me to deal a lot with customers, so I figure I can get to know the parents by interacting with their sweet, sweet young babies, and I'll be making sales all the time because they love me."
    Haha, that's still pretty creepy but I totally see what you're saying.

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh I know they're not exactly the people-pleasers, but sometimes you do what you gotta do. Although I did mention "honest" so I should've caught that hmmmm

As for "the answer," that is true. That makes sense. But then the only one that comes to mind is "I push myself too hard" and other similar stuff, but it's so fabricated.

I'm thinking management consulting btw, for the current example. I was thinking something along the lines of 'creating too many plan Bs and Cs, when plan A will work perfectly fine most of the time' but that doesn't even sound like a weakness.

MBTI
    INTJ

In all honesty-ish, if you've got a job in your sights, you'll have researched the position and the company, yeah? So it's probably better to start directing the content of the interview yourself, saying what you know, asking questions, interacting with the interviewer about the job itself, all this instead of letting them guide you toward such black holes as trying to describe your character in general.

If INTJs do have a weakness in interviews it'll be something like wondering why the hell anyone would want to dwell on weaknesses when what they're looking for is someone who'll accomplish stuff. Presuming of course that that is what they're looking for.

MBTI
    INTJ

Eh, I'm still a student, I gots time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    If INTJs do have a weakness in interviews it'll be something like wondering why the hell anyone would want to dwell on weaknesses when what they're looking for is someone who'll accomplish stuff. Presuming of course that that is what they're looking for.
    Good point.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Stab then in a heart, with a wooden stick.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Stab them in a heart, with a wooden stick.
    Holy water is also effective.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oort cloud View Post
    But if I'm applying to work for someone, I don't think they would appreciate me being too impersonal, no matter what the requirements for the actual job are.

I'd have to agree with poppy, I'd rather say that I am outgoing. It's not that I'm not outgoing, I do enjoy people (and if I must spend time with them, I try to find something about them to like, to make my life easier), I just need to get away from everyone after a while. It won't impair my professional functions, I think.
    I'm guessing you are a fairly young, correct?

A lot of younger INTJs haven't learned the mastery of faux-extraversion, and chances are you will fail to convey a convincing "outgoing, enjoy people" vibe, so you will be called on your bullshit. Unless of course, the interviewer is a complete idiot.

What job are you planning to apply for? If it's Starbucks, you'll probably get away with bullshitting to their manager, but if it's an office job and you have to go through professional HR people, I'd say keep your lies within "reasonable" range.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I'm guessing you are a fairly young, correct?

A lot of younger INTJs haven't learned the mastery of faux-extraversion, and chances are you will fail to convey a convincing "outgoing, enjoy people" vibe, so you will be called on your bullshit. Unless of course, the interviewer is a complete idiot.

What job are you planning to apply for? If it's Starbucks, you'll probably get away with bullshitting to their manager, but if it's an office job and you have to go through professional HR people, I'd say keep your lies within "reasonable" range.
    Correct.

Could be. I don't really try to fake it. I enjoy meeting new people, but once I've met them, I generally lose interest, except for a few here and there. I may come off as an ENTJ when I'm in the mood, but I'm not faking it, I'm just in the mood. I wouldn't try to pretend to be the extravert to get the job though, wouldn't it just be bad in the long run when people realize I'm not one? I guess that throughout high school I was working on the shyness thing, and the more you try to get rid of it, the better you get, so I'm getting there.

At the moment I'm not applying to any jobs I'd care about. I'm going off to college, for business, and I was just thinking about these questions and how I would answer. I wouldn't want to outright lie (maybe overexaggerate?), hence the contemplation of what I could, ideally, say. I'm practicing with management consulting now, but who knows what I'll end up doing, it's just something that I think I'd love to do and be good at, at the same time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

I'm an INTJ and here is what I would say...

"I have a tendency to be brutally honest. I have professional conflict resolution training and never allow the misconceptions about my intentions to build into interoffice discord but people are often put-off by my literal communication style. In time this is a great benefit as my intentions require no interpretation and subordinates know precisely what I have asked for them to do."