• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The Unhealthy INTP

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm not sure this is unhealthy or not, but during a bad time I fell into the habit of crawling into my mind and constructing a "parallel universe" with my imagination. In this world, there was no exam stress, impending coursework deadlines, an empty social life etc. In fact, the new idyllic life in my mind was so much better I detached myself from the real one. I bunked college and became a recluse, staying at home the whole time. I turned more paranoid and cynical, convinced that all the teachers and students despised me. The more I avoided reality, the more paranoid I became of it and everyone, and so I avoided it some more. I think the only way I broke out of the loop was when my mum had the day off and the school rang, saying I hadn't been attending lessons all week. And then I burst into tears, which bewildered the two of us.

I guess it's more of a young INP thing, then specifically INTP.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
-
- making other people feel worthless without even realizing it

If they can be MADE to feel worthless, then they probably really are worthless... just a thought.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
-threw caution to the wind and did whatever I wanted without any thought of consequences
-lost all respect for myself and allowed myself to get used and misused.
-drank a lot/ abused substances more than was even remotely healthy
-complete loss of feeling.. the going cold mentioned above was very correct for me in my darker times.
-refused to deal with any problems. I knew they were there, I just didn't have the ability to face up to them to move past it.
-sought out attention in any way, even if it was ill obtained.

I absolutely don't relate in any way.
Especially for the part "to get used". More unhealthy I am, more I don't let people push me off in any minimal way.
I wonder if I am really an intp. I relate more with user Ace (entj)...

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My dad who is an older INTP (late 40's) is prone to drinking a lot, and the general consensus of stressed out INTPs resorting to substance abuse fits. He even uses humour as a way to avoid the issue:

Me: ...but it's the middle of the week?
Dad: I'm drinking to forget, see.
Me: Forget what?
Dad: Can't remember.

I think it's his job.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't relate to substance abuse at all, nor the risk seeking behavior. I more relate to Grungemouse's personal story about complete avoidance and a detachment from reality, into an inner world that doesn't hurt so much. Also, over-indulgence in "escape" activities is something I do too [video games, books, etc.]

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
The only worthless people I know think they are worthy of everything.

You are only worthy of what you can achieve, and you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Existential crisis
Mysanthropy
Lethargy
Alcoholism
Extreme social withdrawl

Edit: worst cases usually happen during high school / college age

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
the drinking... oh god, the drinking.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm probably unhealthy, but I don't abuse any substances.

However, I am very depressed. And I have a tendency to think very hypothetically, and my mine gets cluttered with analysis of all the things I could possibly do right now, with my life, and about my life, and I collapse under the weight of my doubts and assumptions, and find myself doing nothing at all, withdrawing further into my room, into my mind, and become neurotic.

So how's that?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm probably unhealthy, but I don't abuse any substances.

However, I am very depressed. And I have a tendency to think very hypothetically, and my mine gets cluttered with analysis of all the things I could possibly do right now, with my life, and about my life, and I collapse under the weight of my doubts and assumptions, and find myself doing nothing at all, withdrawing further into my room, into my mind, and become neurotic.

So how's that?

Sounds like you should start abusing substances.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ok, I know that these copy threads are getting annoying. But I was in the SP section and saw the "Unhealthy ISTP" thread, and it sounded a lot like me.

So out of interest and curiosity, I'd like to hear about your experiences with unhealthy INTPs and see how similar and different they are to the other introverted thinker.:)
Can a true INTP be psychologically healthy and happy, though, really?

I can't imagine it, they are utterly neurotic, and pessimistic by nature.

The closest thing to a smile they can muster is a smirk.

EDIT: Admittedly, I was thinking about my (unwell, and dead :)) INTP father as I was writing that thought.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:dry:

EDIT: Admittedly, I was thinking about my (unwell, and dead :)) INTP father as I was writing that thought.

I don't imagine all INFPs being like my mom.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I can't identify with the substance abuse too much, but I become increasingly more nihilistic when I become unhealthy. Much like I am right now. :D

I get to the point where I'm shut off from the world and wondering if there's even a point to seeking pleasure anymore. I get driven by fear into just sitting in my room and not showing anyone how I'm feeling.

I have a problem with sharing anything with people, when I'm unhealthy it gets really difficult because of that problem and just exacerbates things.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I'm actually a happy and calm person by default. My friends always commented on my deafening laugh. I blame undeveloped Fe for not knowing how to laugh "appropriately"; I sound like a seagull fighting for a bag of chips.