User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Wuthering Heights. NTs need to learn that not everything needs to make sense to work. Especially love.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Wuthering Heights. NTs need to learn that not everything needs to make sense to work. Especially love.
    Awww

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberrylover View Post
    It's interesting how the Fe works in INTPs. I'm actually fine with very dry books like Catch-22 that don't have intense emotions but don't do very well with the Lolita type of books.

My kind of "emotional" fiction is Bronte sisters stuff, where emotions are presented as the ultimate truth, for lack of a better phrase, like emotions are true and they don't need to be judged. I've never read Lolita because a part of me always felt that Nabokov was being manipulative and I hated the idea of being lulled into feeling of beauty or love. I read the first page of Lolita once. Nabokov's words were so beautiful that I just couldn't read any more. I couldn't bear the thought of that beauty and those feelings being used to present such monstrous acts.

In general, I don't read much fiction anymore. Maybe it's the Fi? I can't help but take on the feelings and attitudes of the characters. They follow me around for days. I'm getting ready to pick up Lolita again tho!! I really want to get through it this time and hope that my reaction will be more and less :eek:
    I love the Bronte sisters! Wuthering Heights is a brilliantly written book. If you think about it...the story is told through the eyes of others. It's told in past tense and the narrative is explored mainly from Mr. Lockwood and Nelly's point of view. Not an easy feat to write a story that way! Strange that Lolita is hard for you to get through but you can stomach Bronte. I find that Bronte has written some of the most misunderstood characters in literature. Heathcliff and Kathy are pretty despicable people but so many people think it's a "romantic" story. It's not. They are petty, selfish people who, in the end, lose everything because of their need for revenge and selfishness and destroy the lives of the ones who tried to love each of them. But that's what makes them such compelling characters. They aren't good. Good characters are rarely interesting.

I read a lot of short stories more than novels nowadays. I'm a big fan of Flannery O'Connor. Southern Gothic writer. So fabulous! "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" "Everything That Rises Must Converge" All her work is great. Someone mentioned Vonnegut...brilliant! Also, Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is good. John Irving, Hemingway. Albert Camus is amazing! I absolutely loved Dave Eggers, "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius"...made me cry and laugh out loud.

Good luck picking up Lolita again! It's sick and twisted but that's what is so great about it.

Okay, I'm drunk and I've typed way too much.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ESFJ

*head is in the clouds whilst swooning*

Suggestions -
    Why men don't listen and women can't read maps - A & B Pease
    Women who love to much - Robin Norwood
    Women who think to much - Dr S Nolen-Hoeksema
    P.S. I love you - Cecelia Ahern

:yim_rolling_on_the_

In all seriousness, would Michael Crichton's books be of interest to NT's?
    I was told by an NT to read Next, then i just went on to read state of fear and sphere. These are not usually my cup of tea, but bloody interesting nonetheless and i couldn't put them down.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    P.S. I love you - Cecelia Ahern
    I hate this book. The movie too (probably Hillary Swank. I don't like her at all as an actress). I loved the idea of the story and how it all played though.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Yesterday, when I discovered my INTP brother hadn't read 1984 I immediately rummaged through my wall o' books and fished out my copy and encouraged him to read it. I suggested Anthem, but couldn't locate it.

I was insistent.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post

In all seriousness, would Michael Crichton's books be of interest to NT's?
    I was told by an NT to read Next, then i just went on to read state of fear and sphere. These are not usually my cup of tea, but bloody interesting nonetheless and i couldn't put them down.
    I love Crichton books. Awesome mix of story and well researched science with a fantasy twist. All the things he writes about aren't necessarily possible, but within the scope of the science.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I hate this book. The movie too (probably Hillary Swank. I don't like her at all as an actress). I loved the idea of the story and how it all played though.
    I recently brought the book after watching the film. I just want to see how well the book captures the emotions compared to the big screen. Might get round to reading it. Watched Sphere, read the book. Watched Green mile, read the book, couldn't finish it due to that mouse. Read the Di Vinci Code, refused to watch the movie.
    Sorry, rambling.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    1984--brilliant
    I hated 1984 - the concept was fresh and original, but, the writing, although very crisp, was bland and boring. Same with Huxley's, A Brave New World, too didactic for my taste.

Although, for some reason, I enjoyed Orwell's Animal Farm. Prolly cuz of its satirical bend. Oink!

Nice! A fave. of mine. Psychological darkness is truly fascinating. I also know a guy named Heathcliff, unusual name.

MBTI
    NICE

Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland