Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Kind of like in Hancock with Will Smith when he learns to say 'Good Job.'

huh...*grunt*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

LMAO

I knew it was a joke but I never pass up an opportunity to point out the inadequacies of UNT. It's very amusing to see how it plays out in this town. The schools aren't technically rivals but there is a thing that happens "You go to UNT? Ohhhh I'm at TWU." The TWU stereotype is lesbian feminazi's of course while UNT is two steps from Liberty University. (See the pun? Texas. Two steps?)

The few guys at our school are considered gay but most of them aren't. Their odds of getting laid aren't any higher than UNT (because we don't have as many women who sleep with everyone) but they do have better odds of finding a LTR. I think they're brilliant for being willing to accept the stigma in exchange for being surrounded by hot women all day.

There was only 1 guy in my Women's Roles class and I felt sorry for him. He rarely spoke up. Then something ticked him off and he went on a rant about how his father was Muslim and his mother Christian and they've been married for 35 years without either religion telling them to kill the other. It was passionate and quite beautiful. After that, the women wouldn't leave him alone. He's a fairly attractive guy but it took him saying something intelligent to get any attention and that made me quite proud.

This has been so drifted and tangented away from the thread but I started it so I guess I'm not going to get into too much trouble. *smirk*

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberrylover View Post
    The INTP I know LOVES LOVES LOVES Lolita.

Intense emotions wrapped in an intellectual package.
    One of my favorite books!! But more for the fact that Humbert, Humbert is such a despicable character and yet Nabokov writes so well that you can't help but sympathize with him. Nabokov really does put you through a roller coaster.

Edit: I was just reading over a lot of suggestions. I'm surprised that a lot of the books are so....well, NTish. lol. (I'm an avid reader but I've only read a couple of the suggested readings - most of the others I've been like "Oh, yeah. I saw that one. Didn't interest me". I can only speak for myself but I read things that affect or appeal to my Fe. Because I can safely feel those emotions while reading - it makes reading exciting! Without a book that has a lot of emotional intensity I get bored - fast. For instance, I couldn't get through Catch-22. It was tedious. (Which was sort of Heller's point, I get that - but ugh!). I think reading is my escape from my NTness.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Ok, so how many have read The Phantom Tollbooth?
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    The only other one that's coming to mind is "Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    I love the Tao Te Ching because it's so simplistic yet powerful and you can go as far down the rabbit hole as you want.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Freakonomics - Dubner/Levitt
    This is the only one you've mentioned that I've read. It seemed short to me and not comprehensive but it did a great job of illustrating how you can view things from a certain angle and produce surprising revelations.

My additions:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig

Great book which does a good job of stretching the average NT past their comfort zone in an accessible manner. If you enjoy it read the sequel, Lila.

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer

A book which I think appeals to the romantic idea of escaping technology or industrial society and returning to the basics (Zen is also a bit about that) - and it's non-fiction about a guy who actually did it. Really fascinating and if I remember correctly, full of comparisons to others who tried the same thing throughout history.

Party of One - Anneli Rufus

This is a great book which I especially have to recommend to everyone on this forum. It's about people who the author refers to as "loners." This translates roughly into introverts and the book is really a defense of the commonly misunderstood introspective (which as I'm sure most of us know are less common in the general population than extroverts). A fun read.

Also try anything by Kurt Vonnegut, who I assume is not even close to unheard of here. He's usually identified as a cynic but he's highly entertaining and has a way of viewing things from an alien perspective. Ni perhaps?

If I feel like it I'll recommend some other stuff. But that's enough from me for now.
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

Enneagram: 5

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

I had to read this book for a class and it can get a little flowery and tedious (for me) but I loved how she made oil futures and American/Iranian politics so emotional.

Oil on the Brain by Lisa Margonelli
    Last edited by chasingAJ; 07-24-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    One of my favorite books!! But more for the fact that Humbert, Humbert is such a despicable character and yet Nabokov writes so well that you can't help but sympathize with him. Nabokov really does put you through a roller coaster.
    I can only speak for myself but I read things that affect or appeal to my Fe. Because I can safely feel those emotions while reading - it makes reading exciting! Without a book that has a lot of emotional intensity I get bored - fast.
    It's interesting how the Fe works in INTPs. I'm actually fine with very dry books like Catch-22 that don't have intense emotions but don't do very well with the Lolita type of books.

My kind of "emotional" fiction is Bronte sisters stuff, where emotions are presented as the ultimate truth, for lack of a better phrase, like emotions are true and they don't need to be judged. I've never read Lolita because a part of me always felt that Nabokov was being manipulative and I hated the idea of being lulled into feeling of beauty or love. I read the first page of Lolita once. Nabokov's words were so beautiful that I just couldn't read any more. I couldn't bear the thought of that beauty and those feelings being used to present such monstrous acts.

In general, I don't read much fiction anymore. Maybe it's the Fi? I can't help but take on the feelings and attitudes of the characters. They follow me around for days. I'm getting ready to pick up Lolita again tho!! I really want to get through it this time and hope that my reaction will be more and less :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Did they make a movie from this book?
    Yup, Choke

My fave book of all time, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson aka Lewis Caroll.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Oh, oh, I know! The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

*puke*