User Tag List

First 34567 Last

"Since you want to know my opinion about astrology I can tell you that I've been interested in this particular activity of the human mind since more than 30 years.
    As I am a psychologist, I am chiefly interested in the particular light the horoscope sheds on certain complications in the character.
    In cases of difficult psychological diagnosis I usually get a horoscope in order to have a further point of view from an entirely different angle.
    I must say that I very often found that the astrological data elucidated certain points which I otherwise would have been unable to understand.

From such experiences I formed the opinion that astrology is of particular interest to the psychologist,
    since it contains a sort of psychological experience which we call 'projected' - this means that we find the psychological facts as it were in the constellations.

This originally gave rise to the idea that these factors derive from the stars, whereas they are merely in a relation of synchronicity with them.
    I admit that this is a very curious fact which throws a peculiar light on the structure of the human mind."

--Carl Jung.

Comments anyone?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

A scientifically minded INFJ.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    bleh
    Socionics
    bleh

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    YouTube - Carl Jung speaks about Death

YouTube - Quote: Carl Jung.. I know God exists

Here are some interesting clips of interviews with Carl Jung.

I wonder what he meant by, the psyche not adhering to the laws of time and space. and also how did he "know" that god exists?
    I was sure he specifically mentioned that he did adhere to any particular faith and was undecided on the matter of god in his last published book "Man and his symbols".

I really did not see anything that screams F and J while reading his works. He approached emotions in a very clinical manner and was constantly trying to connect them with some larger theory of human behavior. He was always trying to consolidate his own private musings, observations during therapy and the work of Frued and his other peers into something coherent and he never seemed to outright dismiss an idea or conversely treat them as canon. The furthest he would get was something like "well I find freuds model of dream interpretation to be lacking because it did not attribute any meaning to the individual content of the patient's dream and we can't all be thinking of penises 24/7". That sounds INTPish to me >_>.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Sounds like something he'd believe in if he believed in collective consciousness.
    Really the collective unconscious theory was not that radical or trippy. People seem to be under the impression that he was describing a giant pool of ancestral memories floating in the sky but in fact he just proposed that the fact that humans exhibit similar base myths/symbols across all geographies, ethnicities, and cultures suggest that there may be a universal compenent to them. It is a modest theory when you look at it that way.
    Last edited by mhina; 07-24-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added more content

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by mhina View Post
    I was sure he specifically mentioned that he did adhere to any particular faith and was undecided on the matter of god in his last published book "Man and his symbols".

I really did not see anything that screams F and J while reading his works. He approached emotions in a very clinical manner and was constantly trying to connect them with some larger theory of human behavior. He was constantly trying to consolidate his own private musings, observations during therapy and the work of Frued and his other peers into something coherent and he never seemed to outright dismiss an idea or conversely treat them as canon. The furthest he would get was something like "well I find freuds model of dream interpretation to be lacking because it did not attribute any meaning to the individual content of the patient's dream and we can't all be thinking of penises 24/7".

That seems pretty INTPish to me >_>

LOL? Well you know that's what I think about Freud too, he was just a coked up sex freak, having weird issues with his penis obviously, for some reason he was rubbing ointment on his penis regularly(STD's?)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    How does Ni "know" anything?
    Thank you. Jung was a clear INTJ. He even typed himself that way.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    bleh
    Socionics
    bleh

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Thank you. Jung was a clear INTJ. He even typed himself that way.
    It is not very clear to me. Care to elaborate?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

The whole concept of typology is pure Ni. It's about questioning the assumptions you unconsciously make regarding your own value system and those of others, but it only changes the way you interpret actions. It's up to some judging function to decide how to respond externally, but studying typology teaches people to emulate Ni skills.

Personally, and I know this is clearly not true for all Ne users, but I have typology to thank largely for any Ni (real or synthetic) I may have at all today.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    bleh
    Socionics
    bleh

The whole concept of typology is pure Ni. It's about questioning the assumptions you unconsciously make regarding your own value system and those of others, but it only changes the way you interpret actions. It's up to some judging function to decide how to respond externally, but studying typology teaches people to emulate Ni skills.

Personally, and I know this is clearly not true for all Ne users, but I have typology to thank largely for any Ni (real or synthetic) I may have at all today.
    See I could argue that the theory arose from his observations of human behavior*Se), or connected all his theories into an abstract web that was "pruned" by a logical sorting method *Ne+Ti*. Or say he was just a good people person *Fe*.

I however do not see the merits of an argument suggesting that Ni is the only possible way to come to the conclusions he did :/.

Also some of your comments directly contradict type theory. You were not "missing" Ni...it was undeveloped. And synthetic functions? Do tell
    Last edited by mhina; 07-24-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added material

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by mhina View Post
    See I could argue that the theory arose from his observations of human behavior*Se), or connected all his theories into an abstract web that was "pruned" by a logical sorting method *Ne+Ti*. Or say he was just a good people person *Fe*.

I however do not see the merits of an argument suggesting that Ni is the only possible way to come to the conclusions he did :/.

Also some of your comments directly contradict type theory. You were not "missing" Ni...it was undeveloped. And synthetic functions? Do tell
    Not necessarily. There's not exactly consensus on that. Some argue that any of the four functions other than dom/aux/tert/inf are never actually directly utilized, but just simulated through combinations of the other functions.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    bleh
    Socionics
    bleh

Not necessarily. There's not exactly consensus on that. Some argue that any of the four functions other than dom/aux/tert/inf are never actually directly utilized, but just simulated through combinations of the other functions.
    Can you give any examples of how this conjoining would work and lead to a simulated function. More importantly how is this mechanism more plausible then the age old base number of nuerons+training/competition+plasticity=differentiated neural growth mechanism that seems to be used in everything from reading to differeniating tones?