Thread: Rant on ENTJs

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I had an ENTJ roommate who had lots of annoying traits.

1. If he went into a business and if anyone treated him less than ideal, he would badger that poor empolyee until he got something for free. I watched him reduce a McDonald's drive-threw girl to tears. After he made a rude comment to her, she gave him a look and he kept asking to see her manager while making rather mean comments about minimum wage fast food workers. And of course he got his meal comped.

2. He had no moral scruples at all. I watched him cheat on and lie to the women he dated without blinking an eye and then tear into them for not trusting him. He would then go on and on about how stupid and pathetic women were. I watched him threaten and intimidate people for "opening their mouths" to the point that they would pay him off. I watched him rip into guys for smoking weed while he would actually sell the stuff.

3. He absolutely loved me even though I despised him. I still can't figure that one out.

Finally I got sick of it and moved out. I wish he had never taken the MBTI and told me his results because that personality type is ruined for me forever.
    Oh, I don't think the 2) part is type relate though, don't you think?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Dunno, sounds like a very unhealthy Enneagram 8 to me.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I was only describing some annoying traits in an ENTJ that I knew. I notice you aren't questioning the first part.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I was only describing some annoying traits in an ENTJ that I knew. I notice you aren't questioning the first part.
    I don't personally do that, but I could see it more easily as being a "part" of an unhealthy ENTJ personality, that's why I'm not openly questioning it.

Dunno, sounds like a very unhealthy Enneagram 8 to me.
    Or 3?

Got this excerpt describing the "NPA" personality type which sums up the biggest problem I have with ENTJs.

"If someone does not uphold his standards of perfection, then he will become indignant. He will spread his arms at the sides, with the palms up, in that characteristic stance of perfectionist incredulity. "How could you let that happen? Didn't you realize that... ? What is going on here?" If criticized, he will respond immediately and arrogantly in defense, with no prior reflection on the merits of the criticism, like a porcupine bristling its quills. If angered, he becomes sarcastic and ill-mannered; he becomes rude and he shouts. He may become involved in shouting matches, or even fisticuffs, in public with strangers. And if his pride or vanity is trampled upon, he may be incited to the narcissistic-perfectionistic-aggressive blind super-rage, which has been described earlier. The intensity of this red-faced rage may shock others seeing it for the first time."

The redeeming quality about them is as soon as their burst of anger is over, it's over. It's like they go through temporary insanity but it subsides almost as quickly as it happens. They don't hold a grudge against me, even if I escalate with extremely harsh retaliation for their initial unwarranted behavior. It's the only type that can cause me to explode with anger (usually everything rolls off my back).

As the other poster said though, it often does propel me to perform better because of the increased sense of competition as well as keeping some of the more sloth like members of a team, to stay motivated (myself included). Also, I think the above comments only apply to some of the more un-developed or insecure ENTJs.

I also know one, who doesn't have any of these issues, because he informed me he used to get the snot beat out of him at a young age when he acted up (he grew up in a tough neighborhood). I have a theory the ones that have more rage issues tend to be the ones who actually came from more nurturing environments where they have more of a sense of entitlement, which might help fuel their particular brand of aggressive-narcissism.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Got this excerpt describing the "NPA" personality type which sums up the biggest problem I have with ENTJs.

"If someone does not uphold his standards of perfection, then he will become indignant. He will spread his arms at the sides, with the palms up, in that characteristic stance of perfectionist incredulity. "How could you let that happen? Didn't you realize that... ? What is going on here?" If criticized, he will respond immediately and arrogantly in defense, with no prior reflection on the merits of the criticism, like a porcupine bristling its quills. If angered, he becomes sarcastic and ill-mannered; he becomes rude and he shouts. He may become involved in shouting matches, or even fisticuffs, in public with strangers. And if his pride or vanity is trampled upon, he may be incited to the narcissistic-perfectionistic-aggressive blind super-rage, which has been described earlier. The intensity of this red-faced rage may shock others seeing it for the first time."

The redeeming quality about them is as soon as their burst of anger is over, it's over. It's like they go through temporary insanity but it subsides almost as quickly as it happens. They generally don't hold a grudge against me, even if I escalate with extremely harsh retaliation for their initial unwarranted behavior. It's the only type that can cause me to explode with anger (usually everything rolls off my back).

As the other poster said though, it often does propel me to perform better because of the increased sense of competition as well keeping some of the more sloth like members of a team, to stay motivated (myself included).
    But you are talking about another category than personality, that is personality disorders. How can terms from a system used to describe unhealthy people be applied to a personality system supposed to describe "normal" people?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    But you are talking about another category than personality, that is personality disorders. How can terms from a system used to describe unhealthy people be applied to a personality system supposed to describe "normal" people?
    It seems that a lot of ENTJs develop this specific personalty disorder, when they are emotionally unhealthy and even the ones that are healthy, I suspect have these tendencies. I could be wrong, however.

There is this reality show called "Flipping" (on Bravo) which reminds of many ENTJs I've met. I'm not sure if he has a disorder or he's merely an unhealthy ENTJs in particular; but it's eerily reminiscent of people I know. There is a unique quality to the condescension, that I've only ever seen in ENTJs (not all mind you)

YouTube - Preview of Episode 5 of Flipping Out on Bravo

YouTube - Episode 6 Preview of Flipping Out on Bravo

YouTube - Preview of Flipping Out Episode 4

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    It seems that a lot of ENTJs develop this specific personalty disorder, when they are emotionally unhealthy and even the ones that are healthy, I suspect have these tendencies. I could be wrong, however.
    But the MBTI is supposed to describe the normal spectrum of human personality.

As such, how can we know that the people who have these disorders are ENTJ's gone bad, and not, for example, ISTJ's, INFP's, ENFJ's (or whatever) gone bad and seemingly looking like ENTJ's?

There is a theory stating that, when people are under stress, they tend to adopt the opposite preferences than those they have and become like "negative" versions of that type. It could very well be then that these extreme reactions you mention are not from unhealthy ENTJ's, but unhealthy personality types that adopt similar traits when under stress.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, though, but it remains to be known if we can type people with personality disorders using the MBTI or if these people fall into an entirely different category for which the MBTI is not meant to be applied. Maybe the disorders are the extremes of normal personality traits, maybe there are not (i.e. the opposite type and shadow theory). In any case, though, they cannot be used to explain behavior shown by "healthy" types in a satisfactory way (more like a caricature in case the first theory is true, and not at all in case the second is).

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    But the MBTI is supposed to describe the normal spectrum of human personality.

As such, how can we know that the people who have these disorders are ENTJ's gone bad, and not, for example, ISTJ's, INFP's, ENFJ's (or whatever) gone bad and seemingly looking like ENTJ's?
    I can't speak about people in general with the disorder, and I'm not even sure the ENTJs I actually know even have that disorder, but a few phrases in that disorder describe their regular actions pretty well (not just under stress).

So I'm not saying that all people with that disorder are necessarily ENTJs, it's merely conjecture on my part (though I suspect most are).

I've seen and met lots of people stressed out and I can't imagine an INFP or ISTJ acting like what I described in a consistent fashion, but again - I'm just theorizing.

GirlAmerica

She can curse worse than any truckdriver.
    Uses the most shocking and dramatic language I have ever encountered.
    Is unrealistic about the perfection level of cleanliness of her home.
    Struggles with how to dress 'girly'.
    Is highly demanding of those around her.

Has an awesome sense of humor.
    Strives to do what is right no matter what.
    Speaks my language.
    Has an incredible gift of writing.

My best friend since we were 5 in kindergarten.
    I couldnt live without her if I tried.
    Last edited by GirlAmerica; 10-05-2007 at 07:24 PM.