MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    Are intps afraid of the unknown?
    Dude, give me a break; my entire life has been about pushing through fear and abandoning everything I ever knew, which has been a pretty sucky and terrifying experience, and coming out whole and healthy on the other side. So I'm anything but that; please don't even go here. Your ideas just didn't make any sense, and you seemed incapable of critically examining them.

If you don't understand my point, you could actually make an effort to discuss it rather than resorting to cheap shots about my character.

Thank you for including some links later in the thread, with information to your experiments. That's more helpful that your general philosophical approach in the early parts of this thread, which I did not find very rational or intellectual reasonable and explained my reasoning very thoroughly about, without my issues being addressed by you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Are intps afraid of the unknown?
    No, because we don't make up nonsense to try and explain the unknown, like some. We're comfortable with it.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    No, because we don't make up nonsense to try and explain the unknown, like some. We're comfortable with it.
    Then just admit that evolution is not a fact. What is so wrong with having ideas, other than evolution? Because it seems so improbable?

We thought it was impossible for us to bend light and become invisible(highly improbable and educated guess, seemed to make sense), now we have meta-materials, it's possible. I'm well aware of how improbable things may seem, but I also know that if we don't KNOW, then everything is possible. You can't discount any other theory because it seems stupid on the surface.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Couldn't someone write down any set of vague and arbitrary statements, and have people find reasoning and 'truths' in them?

Frankly, I think people have beaten the Bible to death in trying to extract meaning from it. There is some wisdom in the Bible, just like there is wisdom in Hammurabi's code, and countless other literary works.

This all reminds me of the people behind the polonium "halo" theory that proves the existence of God and creationism:

[YOUTUBE="rTICjwUhSys"]Fingerprints Of Creation[/YOUTUBE]

It's like you havn't understood a single word I said, you are being ridiculous. I actually agree with you about the bible, there is wisdom in it as well as practically every other religion, and it's obvious it's been beaten to death, christianity is the most popular religion in the WORLD. I don't belong to any religion I told you! You seem to think your statement would offend me but it doesn't!

All of you also seem to misunderstand where I stand on the matter. I think many theories are quite plausible, including evolution.... however...just as you feel that the bible has been beaten to death, I feel that evolution has been beaten to death as well.... Do you get it?

MBTI
    INtP

Okay, my last post in this thread...

Then just admit that evolution is not a fact. What is so wrong with having ideas, other than evolution? Because it seems so improbable?
    Without sliding into a philosophical consideration of what a "fact" is and isn't, by any reasonable conclusion based on the evidence we have available to us now, it *is* a fact. As close as we can be certain with our evidence, of course - which is as close as we can *ever* get on this or any other question. Obviously this is pretty good for practical purposes. To use only the most simplistic example, take the increase in the frequency of infections with antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Bacterial populations were challenged with a change in environment, and ones that possessed genes (of varying types and configurations) that made them more competitive in light of this new threat increased their frequency (and the frequency of the resistance genes they carry) in the population. A change in allele frequency over time. That's the definition of evolution. There are more complex examples, to be sure - but that's one.

There's nothing wrong with having ideas, even offbeat ones, but hyping ideas that conflict with observable evidence, and then trying to make a point of denying the conclusions that many people have made, without any evidence for your idea, is just annoying and counterproductive. It's like if I were to hypothesize that a big pink cosmic unicorn might kick the earth around so that the sun rises in the west... and then go around telling people that they "can't be sure" that the sun's coming up in the east tomorrow. Sort of an amusing idea, but putting it on the same level as the "sun's gonna come up in the east" idea is well, sort of ridiculous - unless, of course, you've got evidence of said pink cosmic unicorn. But detractors of evolution - even those who do the "something else is *possible* thing - don't provide any such evidence. *That* is what's annoying.

All of you also seem to misunderstand where I stand on the matter. I think many theories are quite plausible, including evolution.... however...just as you feel that the bible has been beaten to death, I feel that evolution has been beaten to death as well.... Do you get it?
    You may be sick of hearing about it (and I'd have to agree - the constant arguments and flamewars over the topic get old), but that doesn't mean that it's any less valid. Do you also feel that Einstein's theory of relativity has been beaten to death?

Anyway, all done .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Wait, you mean the OP wasn't a joke?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

YouTube - Dr. Michio Kaku: SCI FI or SCI FACT, Part 1

YouTube - The Divine Matrix: Gregg Braden Pt.1

Stephen Hawking called it "mind of God" lol.

And I love what he says about the big bang.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's fine to have other ideas.

What is not fine is to say that all ideas have the same merit, backing, and support. There is differing quality among theories, and you don't seem to be making much of a distinction.

We thought it was impossible for us to bend light and become invisible(highly improbable and educated guess, seemed to make sense), now we have meta-materials, it's possible. I'm well aware of how improbable things may seem, but I also know that if we don't KNOW, then everything is possible. You can't discount any other theory because it seems stupid on the surface.
    Again, every theory should be tested on its own merits. The issue is that you seem to give the same weight to all theories (well, at least yours) regardless of evidence. It seems more like you're defending yourself rather than trying to present a case for your theory at this point, so I won't trouble you any longer on the matter.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

For crying out loud - evolution through genetic variation and natural selection fits the evidence and we are able to make predictive observations based on it. Not only that, it's falsifiable - if overwhelming evidence comes across that it's an incorrect view of the nature of life, we'll change it.

Creationism has none of these going for it. No evidence save what some feel is "self-evident" (meaning non-empirical) indicates the existence of a creator, much less that this figure created life as we know it, nor can we predict a damn thing based on that. Finally, even given the overwhelming evidence of evolution through genetic variation and natural selection, will the hard-core creationists even budge on their position?

I swear, to argue that falsifiability is one of science's weaknesses is perhaps the most disingenuous position one could take.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's a miracle!

I believe now. And all it took was a couple mason jars!

Oh and don't worry, it's not just an NT nerve being struck; my NF friend lol'd heartily at this thread.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4