• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Rant on INTPs

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well perhaps I am calling it manipulation because that's what it feels like to me,
and perhaps you would call it something else,
and surely you would because INTPs are precise with their words that way.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Besides, the name of this thread is rant on INTPs,
is it not?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well perhaps I am calling it manipulation because that's what it feels like to me,
and perhaps you would call it something else,
and surely you would because INTPs are precise with their words that way.

INFPs tend to be obsessed with integrity. They dont make good phonies.

Usually when they are perceived as dishonest, they are misunderstood.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
INFPs tend to be obsessed with integrity. They dont make good phonies.

Usually when they are perceived as dishonest, they are misunderstood.
Well, maybe your data is wrong.

ygolo

My termites win
I'm terribly sorry to have hurt your feelings.
Obviously, my comment was not aimed at you personally.
Surely you have seen all the bad things people say about INTJs, as well.

I know. My feelings are hurt easily, I have a high Neurosis factor. Don't worry about it.

It is the confusion I was aiming to to clear up. This thread, and I thought the other "Rant on..." threads were supposed to be for constructive criticism (a concept apparently lost on most people in this forum).

What made me say that is because someone was trying to say that INTPs are the best humans available on the planet,
and I disagree based on my own personal experience.

I disagree too.

The INTPs I know are manipulative sociopaths.
The ones I have met here since yesterday are rude.
I hardly think that a type so easily given to those behaviors could be rated across the board as the best type of human being there is -
I know that's not an exact quote.
He said: "INPs are more likely to know what is really good".
Well, okay, they may know it, but you can't prove to me that they act it out.

Ah, forum people....that'll explain it. They can be quite rude. Any INTPs in real life? Most that I know in real life may have moments where the negative stereotypes hold, but are generally doing rather well in life despite a few episodes.

My visceral dislike of INTPs is that I hate being manipulated.

Again, what caused you to feel manipulated? Forum again? or real life?

INFPs are fine people, but not when they lie and are dishonest with themselves and everyone around them because they don't want to be honest.
I don't understand why people would rather live a lie.

Again, what causes you to say this? Most INFPs I know are very honest people.

Since everyone here is sharing their points of view and opinions,
I figured I was entitled to mine as well.
I guess I'm running a little low on estrogen today.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. You could believe that all INTPs are actually demon-spawn and INFPs are aliens, and you'd still be entitled to that opinion. But I would ask for clarification for why you believe that as well.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Look. I am not going to argue with you.
You think I am wrong.
I think you are wrong - in this particular instance.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Look. I am not going to argue with you.
You think I am wrong.
I think you are wrong - in this particular instance.

What's the point of making a claim if you're not going to attempt to support it?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I know. My feelings are hurt easily, I have a high Neurosis factor. Don't worry about it.
Ok. Thanks.

It is the confusion I was aiming to to clear up. This thread, and I thought the other "Rant on..." threads were supposed to be for constructive criticism (a concept apparently lost on most people in this forum).
Ooooooh! :blush: Sorry, I didn't know that.

Ah, forum people....that'll explain it. They can be quite rude. Any INTPs in real life? Most that I know in real life may have moments where the negative stereotypes hold, but are generally doing rather well in life despite a few episodes.
Yes, the INTPs I refered to are 3 in particular that I know their type for sure.
But my "small sample" automatically makes me wrong.

Again, what caused you to feel manipulated? Forum again? or real life?
Real life.

Again, what causes you to say this? Most INFPs I know are very honest people.
I would never have bet a Hershey bar on it.
I can't remember other INFPs off the top,
but the one I know the best is my sister.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes. That's right.

I recommend that you do further inquiry into typology. Your behavior on this site did not resemble what one typically can expect from an INTJ. Don't know what type you actually are, as I am not able to extrapolate what your unconscious tendencies may be like.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recommend that you do further inquiry into typology. Your behavior on this site did not resemble what one typically can expect from an INTJ. Don't know what type you actually are, as I am not able to extrapolate what your unconscious tendencies may be like.

Strangely, I agree with BlueWing. Maybe the "mom" skews it.

ygolo

My termites win
Yes, the INTPs I refered to are 3 in particular that I know their type for sure.
But my "small sample" automatically makes me wrong.

I suppose, I am really asking what made you feel manipulated (small sample size or not). Feel free to use fake names to protect identity etc.

That way I (and others) can gain some insight into whether I (or others) do similar things or not, and can perhaps devise strategies to avoid it (if I consider it worthwhile).

I would never have bet a Hershey bar on it.
I can't remember other INFPs off the top,
but the one I know the best is my sister.

Again, what made you decide they were the ones labeled INFP were being dishonest w/ themselves and others. I think we can learn from that as well.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
The ones I have met here since yesterday are rude.

I noticed that at least a couple of the INTPs who you interpreted as rude were being facetious, but you took their jokes quite literally, which surprised me, since INTJs don't typically respond in that fashion.

I hope you realize that my earlier post in this thread is a joke. I used an emoticon that should help in that regard. (I really don't believe that the world would be a better place if everyone were an INTP.)

I'll admit that the INTP sense of humor tends toward the morbid and obscure (some may say, "lame") but many INTJs seem to relish that sort of humor. INTPs who try to joke with you are expecting the typical INTJ appreciative response--and perhaps some of the same warped humor in return.

I don't believe that people were trying to offend you.

Oh, and welcome to the board. :)

R

RDF

and the INFPs deny truth and live in a world of lies and denial.

Eh. I see these things as situational personality type adaptations. IOW, given a difficult social situation, then:

INTPs will obfuscate their way around it,
INTJs will charge it head on and bowl it over,
and INFPs will use a little feel-good sleight-of-hand to tiptoe past it.

Each personality type is quite sure that their method of handling the situation causes the least fuss and harm, and each type is a little shocked at how the other types handle the situation. Watching each other deal with the situation, the INFPs accuse INTJs of being bullies, and the INTJs accuse the INFPs of being liars. In turn, INTPs may well come off as manipulators to both the INTJ and INFP.

Or, alternatively, all three personality types can adjust their filters and accept that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

All personality types have their typical shortcuts or nickel-and-dime rip-offs in response to difficult situations, especially when viewed through the filter of another personality type. But assuming that we're talking about average representatives of each type, then these shortcuts or petty rip-offs typically don't rise to the level of criminality or sociopathic deceit.

IOW, if you have an employee of another personality type, then you understand that they have their own way of dealing with certain situations. You adjust your filter in a way that allows you to see their basic honesty and not get too riled that they do things differently from you, and you go ahead and entrust them with the till (until such time as their shortcuts or rip-offs rise to the level of universally-acknowledged untrustworthiness or criminality).

This philosophy may sound too feel-good or wishy-washy for everyone. But I was a sergeant in the Marines for a lot of years. As a sergeant in charge of troops, I couldn't just fire or transfer the troops when they pulled a petty rip-off or didn't do things my way. And their rip-offs usually didn't rise to the level of chargeable crimes. Nor could I run around beating up on them for being bullies and manipulators and liars when I didn't like their methods--after all, I needed them to get the work done around the place. You work with what you've got.

So I learned to adjust my filter to account for the troops and I accepted that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I kept order and maintained discipline by identifying and curbing the worst excesses, and otherwise I gave the troops some leeway and let them use their own initiative as much as possible. After all, I couldn't do all the work all by myself. Ultimately, we all got along just fine and got the job done. Again, you work with what you've got.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Based on the posts that I've read from her so far she is INTJ. She is a mature one at that, rather than one who tries to stereotypically conform to her type like many people do on online forums. In other words she has behaved like a three-dimensional person so far and that is what is throwing you off. :)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Based on the posts that I've read from her so far she is INTJ. She is a mature one at that, rather than one who tries to stereotypically conform to her type like many people do on online forums. In other words she has behaved like a three-dimensional person so far and that is what is throwing you off. :)

On what grounds do you maintain that she is an INTJ?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
On what grounds do you maintain that she is an INTJ?

It mostly comes from the posts that she's made in her intro thread. I've talked to her about her family and she gave responses that I would expect from an INTJ. Also she hits enter after every sentence. Unconventional behavior like that is what you would expect from a dominant intuitor. (Unless she was trained to do that in some context that I am not aware of.)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It mostly comes from the posts that she's made in her intro thread. I've talked to her about her family and she gave responses that I would expect from an INTJ. Also she hits enter after every sentence. Unconventional behavior like that is what you would expect from a dominant intuitor. (Unless she was trained to do that in some context that I am not aware of.)

That's a bit vague. We'd need to see more of her. That is why I said I cant type her because I dont have enough information to clearly recognize the patterns of her unconscious tendencies.