User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Rant on INTPs

MBTI
    ENTJ

- Lazy and likes to work the least amount possible
    - Negativistic and sees the glass half empty
    - Unreliable. Holds word depending on self-interest/mood.
    - Passive-Aggressive. Tends to value covert aggression and manipulation of people's thoughts instead of direct confrontation.
    - Secretive and holds information to keep power and upper-hand
    - Autocratic and does not consult others in decisions
    - Pours cold water on people's enthusiasm and happiness, as any manifestation of positive emotion is seen as superfluous
    - Overvalues negative feelings such as sadness and even assimilates the ability to have these feelings with intellectual depth
    - Pedantic and fastidious about spelling, grammar and theoretical frameworks
    - Disagreeable and cold attitude towards people
    - Lack of realism and interest in subjects that hold no practical value and benefit
    - Overly critical in a non-objective way. Does not establish criteria before criticism, but adapts criteria in function of possibility of criticism
    - Disagreeable. Will say the opposite just to say the opposite. If this is pinpointed to them, will agree. If it is shown to them that they agree when it is pinpointed to them, will disagree.
    - Tendency to believe in intellectual superiority over other human beings, despite any measure of the real world gains of this so called intelligence.
    - Undervalues facts, measures and any real world element that might contradict an internal thought system
    - Hides behind philosophy to diffuse contradiction of own ideas (i.e. "there is no such thing as objective truth", "everything is relative anyway", ...)
    - Lack of awareness of social dynamics
    - Gets stuck in thought and is bad at making decisions
    - Poor at managing people
    - Bad at managing own finances
    - Does not act responsibly enough with family
    - Overly sensitive self while being overly insensitive to other people
    - In romantic relationships, the type willing to spend the least possible amount of time with partner
    - Bad eating habits

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    - Passive-Aggressive. Tends to value covert aggression and manipulation of people's thoughts instead of direct confrontation.

- Pours cold water on people's enthusiasm and happiness, as any manifestation of positive emotion is seen as superfluous
    - Overvalues negative feelings such as sadness and even assimilates the ability to have these feelings with intellectual depth
    - Lack of realism and interest in subjects that hold no practical value and benefit
    - Overly critical in a non-objective way. Does not establish criteria before criticism, but adapts criteria in function of possibility of criticism
    - Disagreeable. Will say the opposite just to say the opposite. If this is pinpointed to them, will agree. If it is shown to them that they agree when it is pinpointed to them, will disagree.
    - Tendency to believe in intellectual superiority over other human beings, despite any measure of the real world gains of this so called intelligence.
    - Undervalues facts, measures and any real world element that might contradict an internal thought system
    - Hides behind philosophy to diffuse contradiction of own ideas (i.e. "there is no such thing as objective truth", "everything is relative anyway", ...)

- In romantic relationships, the type willing to spend the least possible amount of time with partner
    - Bad eating habits
    Several of those don't sound like INTP traits at all, actually. Many of them are terrible with spelling and punctuation, for instance (I highlighted in bold all the traits I know that INTP's don't possess.) Did you just write a generalized list of potentially negative traits a person might possess, and then just apply it to INTP's without adjusting for their particular idiosyncrasies? Did you think no one would notice?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I have known an INTP to do this because the alternative was to concede an argument, which he was constitutionally incapable of doing at the time.

In fairness, I think it's more of a maturity thing than a type thing.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Several of those don't sound like INTP traits at all, actually. Many of them are terrible with spelling and punctuation, for instance (I highlighted in bold all the traits I know that INTP's don't possess.) Did you just write a generalized list of potentially negative traits a person might possess, and then just apply it to INTP's without adjusting for their particular idiosyncrasies? Did you think no one would notice?
    LOL, sounds like someone had a very bad experience with a maladjusted INTP, morelike. I know I am pedantic about spelling, but I often find my grammar slipping here and there...

A well adjusted INTP exhibits much fewer of the traits Maverick has listed. I have always been rather good at managing my finances, for instance. "Unreliable" isn't a trait anybody's used against me. "Gets stuck in thought and bad at making decisions" is a good sign of an inexperienced INTP, but one who's been put in a position of serious responsibility learns how to "shoot first, ask questions later" after a while... and do so with the best guess possible in the scenario. (that's where an INTP's logic can shine, actually, and the ability to effectively roll with the situation as it unfolds, while simultaneously identifying potential problems before they happen, is one of my strong points... especially with technical stuff)

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

- Bad eating habits
    -
    This statement is false. INTPs, as dominant Thinkers tend to value fairness and tough-minded decision-making. More so than the ETJs because the Thinking preferrence of ITPs is stronger.

- -
    - Passive-Aggressive. Tends to value covert aggression and manipulation of people's thoughts instead of direct confrontation..
    That's called projection. Passive aggressive is more along the lines of ETJs, and ETPs with their machiavellian manuevers. INTPs usually either avoid conflict altogether, or if they deem the problem important enough to take care of will be very direct. More direct in their approach than the ETJs because of a stronger focus (dominant Introverted Judgment) and stronger Thinking preferrence.

- - -
    - Tendency to believe in intellectual superiority over other human beings, despite any measure of the real world gains of this so called intelligence...
    Arrogance tends to be rare among healthy INTPs who have found a sense of higher purpose (this is the ultimate end of introverted judgment). Only INTPs who have not found anything bigger than themselves become arrogant. As Paul James pointed out, INTPs appear arrogant to others because of their aloofness and intense focus on private intellectual pursuits, yet real arrogance tends to be rare because they are absorbed in some esoteric pursuit of an internal purpose. Dominant Thinkers tend to be highly self-confident because they dont need approval, yet ITPs tend not to be arrogant because they are less likely to compare themselves to others. Whilst ETJs do tend to be arrogant because they are more likely to compare themselves to others and hold themselves and others to a standard observable by all. If they prevail by that standard, they will confidently declare themselves superior to the other person.

Again, projection on your part.

- - - -
    -Hides behind philosophy to diffuse contradiction of own ideas (i.e. "there is no such thing as objective truth", "everything is relative anyway", ...)...
    Relativism is very rare among INTPs, as the highest possible Ti purpose that one's imagine could possibly conjure is the pursuit of truth. In most cases when it appears the INTP hides behind philosophy it is highly likely that he is misunderstood as communication tends not to be his strong side. Moreover, INTPs tend not to be image conscious, hence they are unlikely to save face. That is more along the lines of ENTs. Projection, once more.

- - - -
    -Overly sensitive self while being overly insensitive to other people..
    Emotional sensitivity tends to be rare even among neurotic INTPs. They tend ot be highly self-critical, much like all strong Thinking types (especially NTs), the ENTJ is a kindred spirit in this regard. Though this does not make them emotionally sensitive in a way that Feelers tend to be. INTPs, just like all dominant Ts tend to be highly critical of themselves and others. Usually, introverts--being more intrapunitive than extrapunitive tend to be more critical of self than others. However, ETJs, on the other hand, being more extrapunitive than intrapunitive tend to be more critical of others than of themselves. So, another projection...

- Bad eating habits

-
    -Pedantic and fastidious about spelling, grammar and theoretical frameworks
    No, that is a J quality. INTPs tend to be fastidious about ideas rather than about grammar. EJs are the most likely to be fastidious about grammar because of their strong J preferrence. As J is about conventional regulations which grammar is one of.

- -
    -Gets stuck in thought and is bad at making decisions
    ITPs, as dominant T types tend to excell at impersonal decisions. INTPs tend not to do well with the common-place extroverted judgment decisions, though tend to make impersonal decisions well, the more complex--the better.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    easily distracted
    INTPs focus more intensely than any other type--dominant Ti preferrence (intense inner focus) backed up by Intuition. That of course is provided that they are interested in what they are doing, as their T applies focus internally and therefore requires that the activity be of importance to the INTP. Yet for the ETJs, this doesnt have to be as activities are externally defined and not internally.
    Last edited by MacGuffin; 09-26-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: merged posts
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    This statement is false.
    Pfft, your statement is false -- I do what Maverick's talking about.

But hooray for stupid generalizations in general!

Carry on.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Come on, you can take revenge in the ENTJ rant thread

MBTI
    INTP

Come on, you can take revenge in the ENTJ rant thread
    I have an ENTJ mother -- if I feel like ranting about ENTJs, I can always pick up the phone and bitch.

I just usually find these "Vent All Things That Sux0rz About Type _____ Here!" threads to be unproductive, and frankly, boring.

But I'm sure someone will get around to making a thread for every single frickin' type -- all in the name of fair play, of course.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have seen a fair number of the behaviors Maverick has described on the two INTP forums I have participated in. Not all INTPs have all of them, of course, but they certainly aren't counter-indicated by the INTP label.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    -
    Arrogance tends to be rare among healthy INTPs who have found a sense of higher purpose
    Somehow the irony just oozes out from this statement.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com