User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Thread: Rant on INTPs

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I get so pissy when I'm discussing something with someone and they don't interpret my words in terms of context, or they paraphrase me in a way that might sound similar but changes the nuance of my comment.
    I second that one.

I remember that a while back I was having the cats vs dogs discussion with a friend and I told him that I didn't like dogs (he's a dog person). A few months later, it came up in conversation with a coworker and he claimed that I "hated dogs." I tried to explain that its that I didn't like dogs, not that I hated dogs.

He said its the same thing, of course its not, but he wouldn't budge. It pisses me off when someone doest get the subtle meanings and differences in words/phrases. Hate implies a passionate dislike for something whereas not liking something simply means there is an absence of "like" (forgive me, Its early in the AM). I think he took not liking to mean the same as disliking. Its not the same, it cant be that hard to figure that one out can it? Could me saying "I don't dislike dogs" mean the same as I love dogs?

A little rant but since were on the topic of meaning/misinterpretation of words.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    I thought we didnt dig things having to be "just so" or there being only one way to do something (like only one spelling for a word).

Some of us were trained to appreciate it... mind you that doesn't mean I can actually assemble the energy to do it or keep it going...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I remember that a while back I was having the cats vs dogs discussion with a friend and I told him that I didn't like dogs (he's a dog person). A few months later, it came up in conversation with a coworker and he claimed that I "hated dogs." I tried to explain that its that I didn't like dogs, not that I hated dogs.

He said its the same thing, of course its not, but he wouldn't budge. It pisses me off when someone doest get the subtle meanings and differences in words/phrases. Hate implies a passionate dislike for something whereas not liking something simply means there is an absence of "like" (forgive me, Its early in the AM). I think he took not liking to mean the same as disliking. Its not the same, it cant be that hard to figure that one out can it? Could me saying "I don't dislike dogs" mean the same as I love dogs?

A little rant but since were on the topic of meaning/misinterpretation of words.
    A question to challenge your standpoint old chap.

Who's interpretation of the term 'dislike' is correct and why?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Could me saying "I don't dislike dogs" mean the same as I love dogs?
    Well, it could be interpreted as a classic Litotes, a form of understatement.

Don't always blame the others...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    A question to challenge your standpoint old chap.

Who's interpretation of the term 'dislike' is correct and why?
    I dont think our interpretations of "dislike" were different. He took not liking to mean dislike/hate (I think he might have been exaggerating for effect) and I agree that dislike is close to hate, but "not liking" means that you do not like it; that there is no appeal in it for you, but also that there is not necessarily an aversion to it. If I were to say "I dont hate it" would that mean I love it or prefer it? No, it would mean an absence of hate/dislike. The same is true for "I dont like it" it doesnt mean that I hate it or dislike it, there is simply an absence of preference/like for it.

I have nothing against dogs (in fact I do like them now), simply put, if someone asked me at that time in the past "do you like dogs?" I would have replied "no." Meaning I wouldn't qualify my feelings for dogs as warm and fuzzy. Similarly, if someone followed the question with, "then do you dislike/hate them?" I would also reply "no." When I say "I dont like" I mean, it does nothing for me, it is the truest form of neutrality...I mean meh.

In short, a visual conception of all of this follows:

hate-----dislike-----neutral-----like-----love

hate and love are opposite at either end, like and dislike (antonyms) are opposite as well, only less extreme, and between them is neutrality...the absence of hate/love and dislike/like. When someone doesnt like something, they may very well also not dislike it (as is my case) and their feeling for it falls in the middle, neutral, an absence of positive or negative feelings for something.

Make sense?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I have nothing against dogs (in fact I do like them now), simply put, if someone asked me at that time in the past "do you like dogs?" I would have replied "no." Meaning I wouldn't qualify my feelings for dogs as warm and fuzzy. Similarly, if someone followed the question with, "then do you dislike/hate them?" I would also reply "no." When I say "I dont like" I mean, it does nothing for me, it is the truest form of neutrality...I mean meh.

(...)

Make sense?
    No, it doesn't.

Over-all, your answers lack context.

If your feelings towards dogs are neutral, then you shouldn't just answer "No", because as I said, in classic conversation, it is perceived as a dislike. Alone, it's a bluntly negative statement.

A truly neutral answer could have been, for instance:

"Not especially", "fairly", "moderatly", and so on...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    No, it doesn't.

Over-all, your answers lack context.

If your feelings towards dogs are neutral, then you shouldn't just answer "No", because as I said, in classic conversation, it is perceived as a dislike. Alone, it's a bluntly negative statement.

A truly neutral answer could have been, for instance:

"Not especially", "fairly", "moderatly", and so on...
    "I dont like" / answering "no" is a bluntly neutral statement.

The question involves simply asking if I like. If, taking into consideration the meaning of the verb "like," I simply respond to whether my feelings for dogs fit the definition for the verb "to like", the answer is no.

Maybe this will help:

From dictionary.com (first one that came up on google)

like: Audio Help /laɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lahyk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, liked, lik·ing, noun
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to take pleasure in; find agreeable or congenial: We all liked the concert.
    2. to regard with favor; have a kindly or friendly feeling for (a person, group, etc.); find attractive: His parents like me and I like them.
    3. to wish or prefer: You can do exactly as you like while you are a guest here.

and

dis·like Audio Help /dɪsˈlaɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dis-lahyk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -liked, -lik·ing, noun
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to regard with displeasure, antipathy, or aversion: I dislike working. I dislike oysters.
    –noun
    2. a feeling of aversion; antipathy: a strong dislike for Bach.

If we go with just the definitions of the words like and dislike, an absence of "like" for something does not equal dislike.

And, as far as lacking context, if you had read the entirety of my post you would know the context, a discussion of which animal one prefers , cats or dogs. In that context, on the subject of preference, to state that "I do not like dogs" speaks to the context. The topic of conversation is preference, I stated that I don't like dogs, which in this context means I don't prefer them.

Combine the cold, hard meanings of the words like and dislike with the context of the conversation on preference and you should get my meaning.

And by the way, people misuse words/definitions in classic conversation frequently, doesn't mean their right to do so. A fundamental misunderstanding for the meanings contained in words does not mean that the majority of people/classic conversation is correct.
    Last edited by GreyDeath; 04-08-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: last post didnt post right

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Today's rants on INTPs:

-Lack of verbal nuances, especially when they involve a social context
    -Tendency to blame others for their own mistakes
    -So concerned about their own self, they could forget to see the obvious

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Today's rants on INTPs:

-Lack of verbal nuances, especially when they involve a social context
    -Tendency to blame others for their own mistakes
    -So concerned about their own self, they could forget to see the obvious
    Ah passive aggression. Nice. A much better direction to go than actual discussion.

Since you wont directly respond to my last post (well you did, passively), Ill address "todays rants" in relation to it.

Verbal nuances don't apply, this is text, in a forum, not verbal (unless you mean verbal as involving verbs), you can not hear the vocal subtleties of a passionate "no" versus a unemotional "no"; nor can you see the expression on my face when I make a statement. Either way, in what specific way am I "demonstrating a lack of verbal nuances in a social context?" How is it that I am and my friend is not "demonstrating a lack of verbal nuances in a social context" when he didn't understand the nuances or the meaning?

What mistakes am I blaming others for? You claimed I lacked context, I gave you the context.

How am I concerned with myself, this is about the meaning of a word, not about me. Whats so obvious that I'm not seeing?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

7w8 SCUxI