User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 231

Thread: Rant on INTPs

  1. #151

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    - Negativistic and sees the glass half empty

    - Pedantic and fastidious about spelling, grammar and theoretical frameworks
    Id say that personally as an INTP, I see the glass as half empty if someone has just drank half of a full glass, and half full if someone just filled an empty glass half way. Am I the only INTP that is obsessed with context?

    And on grammar and spelling, spelling is minorly important when compared to grammar. Someone can still get your point if you misspell a word, but the grammar of a sentence can change the subtle meanings contained within and can cause a huge amount of confusion/misunderstanding. Bad grammar can cause someone to miss the point entirely; bad spelling cant (it is annoying at times though).

    I wonder why I hear so much about INTPs and precision in spelling, grammar, and math. Im definitely an INTP and only correct minor spelling errors because I hate seeing those red lines under words in spellcheck. Also, I hate math for that very reason: its precision and exactness, I thought that was the reason INTPs don't hang out at IKEA getting all excited about the prospects of better organizing their rooms, I thought we didnt dig things having to be "just so" or there being only one way to do something (like only one spelling for a word).

  2. #152
    Senior Member NoahFence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    Id say that personally as an INTP, I see the glass as half empty if someone has just drank half of a full glass, and half full if someone just filled an empty glass half way. Am I the only INTP that is obsessed with context?


    A man holding a bloody knife...without context, our poor hibachi chef has become a murder suspect.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    And on grammar and spelling, spelling is minorly important when compared to grammar. Someone can still get your point if you misspell a word, but the grammar of a sentence can change the subtle meanings contained within and can cause a huge amount of confusion/misunderstanding. Bad grammar can cause someone to miss the point entirely; bad spelling cant (it is annoying at times though).
    A poorly spelled word can become another word, sometimes quite inappropriately. This is what makes tongue-twisters so much fun, right? "I sit upon a slitted sheet..."

    I agree poor grammar is bad, but I hate Lazy Grammar so much more, when pronouns start replacing everything, and the resulting statement could be applied to any set of nouns you could choose, if you could actually choose a noun other than "thing".

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    I wonder why I hear so much about INTPs and precision in spelling, grammar, and math. Im definitely an INTP and only correct minor spelling errors because I hate seeing those red lines under words in spellcheck. Also, I hate math for that very reason: its precision and exactness, I thought that was the reason INTPs don't hang out at IKEA getting all excited about the prospects of better organizing their rooms, I thought we didnt dig things having to be "just so" or there being only one way to do something (like only one spelling for a word).
    Rigid frameworks are not the same as limited frameworks...to me, the difference is shown in legos...they only fit together in certain ways, but you can use those simple connections to create an infinite variety (assuming infinite legos, of course, which is impossible due to their own tendencies of vanishing in violation of conservation of mass, but that's another topic). The spelling of words may not be fluid, but the meaning can be, and the underlying language is. If I said "I moused through the folder", I've just used "mouse" as a verb, which is not supposed to be legal, but I bet you understood the implied context of browsing files on a computer.

    I revel in stretching into rigid yet open-ended frameworks. I like to see how the space gets filled.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

  3. #153
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    I agree poor grammar is bad, but I hate Lazy Grammar so much more, when pronouns start replacing everything, and the resulting statement could be applied to any set of nouns you could choose, if you could actually choose a noun other than "thing".
    I'm sorry.

    (also- it's "thingie")
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  4. #154
    Procrastinating
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    Id say that personally as an INTP, I see the glass as half empty if someone has just drank half of a full glass, and half full if someone just filled an empty glass half way. Am I the only INTP that is obsessed with context?
    Yes, but perspective is still involved. I see them always full... air does fill space.

  5. #155
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    Id say that personally as an INTP, I see the glass as half empty if someone has just drank half of a full glass, and half full if someone just filled an empty glass half way. Am I the only INTP that is obsessed with context?
    Ha! Awesome! I love distinctions like this. I do that, too. Trips you up on stuff like standardized tests, though. Too many options!

  6. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Yes, but perspective is still involved. I see them always full... air does fill space.
    Good point, I never thought about it that way.

    What about in spaaaaace? :confused:

    But really...I'm going to have to think about that one...damn that does make it hard to be pessimistic.

  7. #157
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Glass is a liquid

    Therefore, a glass is always

    full of its own self
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  8. #158
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    ... Am I the only INTP that is obsessed with context?
    No, context is completely crucial to proper understanding. It's a matter of how the pieces are positioned in relation to each other, not what the actual piece itself looks like on its own.

    And on grammar and spelling, spelling is minorly important when compared to grammar. Someone can still get your point if you misspell a word, but the grammar of a sentence can change the subtle meanings contained within and can cause a huge amount of confusion/misunderstanding. Bad grammar can cause someone to miss the point entirely; bad spelling cant (it is annoying at times though).
    I find bad spelling annoying and do correct it when I see it (just like I'd want to wipe off a dollop of ketchup on the end of someone's nose, rather than stare at it for the next 20 minutes of conversation), but yes, grammar is so much more important because it radically changes context and thus meaning.

    I get so pissy when I'm discussing something with someone and they don't interpret my words in terms of context, or they paraphrase me in a way that might sound similar but changes the nuance of my comment.

    Also, I hate math for that very reason: its precision and exactness
    Math theory is interesting. Doing arithmetic can be very very boring unless you're in the mood to just do brainless but concretely defined work.

    I thought we didnt dig things having to be "just so" or there being only one way to do something (like only one spelling for a word).
    I only care about spelling if it changes the meaning. If you're just talking about british vs american spelling (for example, which doesn't change meaning), well, who cares?


    ....btw... cute haiku, Ivy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #159

    Default

    The "fullness" of the glass is most definitely defined by its context.

    If it is being used as weight. It would make sense for it to be "filled" with something more dense than water.

    If there is a stopper sitting on the watter to trigger other mechanisms, then it is precision that counts.

    Also, why is it even necessarily a "good" thing to have the glass "full?"

    Maybe it is better to have it "empty." A glass empty of water, and full of air is lighter, and much less likely to create a spill that needs to be cleaned up.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #160
    Senior Member NoahFence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    288

    Default

    What if it's half full of some of that vile chalky crap you have to choke down before getting in The Probe down at Ultimate Humiliation Radiology? Then it is a good thing that it's half empty, and a terrible thing that it's half full. In fact it's kind of bad that it was ever full at all, and must now be emptied, as this implies there's something going wrong in your belly bad enough that you have to go put on the assless apron and parade through icy halls of arctic tile.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Rant on ENTPs
    By Blackwater in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
  2. [ENTJ] Rant on ENTJs
    By Maverick in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
  3. [MBTItm] short rant on NFs
    By sakuraba in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 227
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
  4. A short rant on chivalry
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 09:37 PM
  5. [INTJ] Rant on INTJs
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO