User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Explain

If capitalism favor self interest and equal opportunity for all, why does so many people fail to get rich?
    Because world has finite resources and not everyone can be a winner.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Because world has finite resources and not everyone can be a winner.
    that's what i just said.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    that's what i just said.
    I didn't bother reading the thread before I answered, but I am happy to know you share my sentiments
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I didn't bother reading the thread before I answered, but I am happy to know you share my sentiments
    Be the mother of my hell spawnschildren.

Most questions have simple answers. Theories start with basic ideas, more complexity is good for the sake of accuracy, but I doubt many economists/sociologists/antropologists participated to this thread.
    So half page posts about how unfair life is tell more about one's life and personal issues than actually answering the question.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I can tell you one thing that I have seen so far that is a barrier to becoming rich. In the industry that I am involved in in order to own the company there is a vast amount of knowledge one must absorb to create a company legally. Beside all of the tax laws, employer rules and regs., environmental laws etc... One must be osha compliant, have a keen understanding of the science of the industry, be on top of mountains of paperwork and documentation to attempt to keep your company safe from lawsuits, be able to sell your services to the clients, find ways to compete with the "big boys" who almost have an unlimited budget. The list really goes on and on. I could work 24 hrs/day just on the legal/compliance side of things and still never take a day off. Of course it would be nice to delegate alot of the work but when your just starting out it is not really feasible.
    Reasons like above are a big reason why many fail to get rich. It is not because they lack the intelligence or could not figure out how to do it. Most people just prefer, in the end, to work for someone else, let them live, eat and breathe the company and at the end of the day go home at a reasonable hour with enough pay to live comfortably.
    Likewise, society would prefer that those people utilize their economic potential in those locations as well. If you're not willing to go through the regulations it takes to run your own business, what's to say that you're willing to do the rigorous work it takes to make sure your clients are protected from negligence and malfeasance? Wanting to keep their business isn't the only answer, either - information imbalances generally favor the seller.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

It's not rocket science: being human is not in itself a character flaw. One of the fallacies of rationalism is in assuming that people should be expected to behave in all ways rationally. Reason is a circumstancial process, not a replacement for emotional and biological needs. Different circumstances have different priorities, and the priorities of the poor aren't the same as the priorities of the wealthy.

When you don't have many resources -- you're not getting the food or rest you need, you're constantly stressed, and you see few opportunities to relieve yourself of these problems -- all your time is consumed either getting by on a basic level, exhausted from the work it takes just to keep a roof over your head, or worring how you're going to make ends meet. Immediate practical concerns, including emotional needs, trump long-term planning even when there are resources to conserve.

Someone with a steely constitution, nothing going on in his life, and boundless self confidence can perhaps plow through the inertia of circumstance -- but as the saying goes, most people work to live, not live to work. Those few moments of respite, you cherish them. Because you don't know when you're going to get another. If things get better, great. One more monkey off the back.

Though I get that the original post is playing devil's advocate, the question is naive to the point of absurdity. It's the application of an abstract standard to a concrete situation. You might as well ask "Why aren't people always nice to each other?" Well, nice thought. There are plenty of reasons. Here, come live with me and I'll show you a few.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    It's not rocket science: being human is not in itself a character flaw. One of the fallacies of rationalism is in assuming that people should be expected to behave in all ways rationally.
    You'd be surprised how many NTs have a problem accepting that concept.

(Good example: Economy in general)

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

You'd be surprised how many NTs have a problem accepting that concept.

(Good example: Economy in general)
    Is it so much a lack of acceptance, or a complete frustration with it? It could just be a lack of understanding the rationale of interior logic.

MBTI
    ENTP

in my case, it's unarguably because I don't want to enough. I can make money alright, but I usually give it away as fast as I make it, cos other things are much, much more important to me than being rich. I'm happy really, whatever lifestyle I have, I'm happiest of all the less I have, which has been proven over and over since I've lived all kinds of ways from the lap of luxury to homelessness.

I'm just not willing to make the sacrifices and do the work that's necessary to get rich, hence why I never will be, and it doesn't bother me one bit
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Is it so much a lack of acceptance, or a complete frustration with it?
    Kind of the same thing isn't it?

If you accept something, you wouldn't be so frustrated with it.