User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

The concise answer is simple: Wealth begets wealth.

The reason that the richest top 1% of the world holds more than 50% of the total wealth is because the more money you acquire, the easier it is to acquire more. Despite the myths of meritocracy and endless opportunity, poorer people have little chance at climbing the class ladder because they have no resources and are infinitely bogged down due to difficulties that the wealthy never need to worry about.

Not to mention that wealth is passed on in family. Social class mobility upwardly is rare because of a common legacy in lower social classes of poverty. If a family never had one person to go to college, when one does indeed make it to college and earns more money, they will have plenty of relatives asking for help, not to mention that every step of the way will be extremely challenging, from taking out loans to simply not having social capital to figure out what to do next. In contrast, a higher social class individual is already imbued with plenty of social capital by their family, knows exactly what to do, will receive family loans interest-free, will not need to worry about much, and probably has a good idea of what he can do and what is at his disposal.

And besides, the capitalistic wealth system is imbalanced to begin with. The moment someone became incredibly wealthy was the moment a little bit of wealth was stripped from the rest of everyone else. The unrestricted amassing of wealth by few people results in little money to circulate and enable the enrichment of others.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    a lot of people want to become sports stars, but few have the physical gifts and the willingness to push themselves hard enough.

a lot of people want to be smart, but few have the drive or curiosity to compel themsevles to study.

a lot of people want to be rich, but few are disciplined enough to build wealth.

opportunities abound; most people are simply not trained, don't have the will to work for it or even don't truly want to become rich. some people are, whether they admit it or not, completely happy not being wealthy.

to sum up, it's a combination of motivation, natural ability and culture.
    Good post. Agreed.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    What is the graph from? I read a few years ago a study that showed that most wealth in the United States is inherited and only a fraction made it themselves.

You can also get rich by selling gimmicky books on how to get rich.

MBTI
    ENTP

1. Wealth requires discipline.
    2. Supply and demand. Most people (especially uneducated or otherwise undesirable) are not in demand.
    3. If everyone were "rich" there would be no concept of richness. The concept of riches demands inequality. Humans are a race that values distinction. If wealth were abolished people would distinguish themselves with something like brightly colored feathers and these feathers would become a "currency". Humans love to seek distinction from their fellows. It's mostly from the desire to fuck and leave offspring.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    ahem . . .

Also, I think we can extrapolate somewhat and argue that people do not become rich partly - but only partly - for similar reasons.

Agreed, and this has to do also with the relativity of the concept of rich - i.e. it constantly readjusts to suit the level of resources of a given place. If rich was once having X benchmarks, as soon as the majority of people have X, the benchmark for the rich readjusts to a higher value.
    Lol, sorry, I just read the quoted part without the introduction, ahaha
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Intelligence is not linked to wealth, according to a US study, but I bet being a selfish piece of shit with no integrity is!
    The study confirmed previous research which has shown that smarter people tend to earn more money, but pointed out there is a difference between high pay and overall wealth. --- I'm sure they'll get there, eventually.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Intelligence is not linked to wealth, according to a US study, but I bet being a selfish piece of shit with no integrity is!
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post

The reason that the richest top 1% of the world holds more than 50% of the total wealth is because the more money you acquire, the easier it is to acquire more. Despite the myths of meritocracy and endless opportunity, poorer people have little chance at climbing the class ladder because they have no resources and are infinitely bogged down due to difficulties that the wealthy never need to worry about.

Not to mention that wealth is passed on in family. Social class mobility upwardly is rare because of a common legacy in lower social classes of poverty. If a family never had one person to go to college, when one does indeed make it to college and earns more money, they will have plenty of relatives asking for help, not to mention that every step of the way will be extremely challenging, from taking out loans to simply not having social capital to figure out what to do next. In contrast, a higher social class individual is already imbued with plenty of social capital by their family, knows exactly what to do, will receive family loans interest-free, will not need to worry about much, and probably has a good idea of what he can do and what is at his disposal.

And besides, the capitalistic wealth system is imbalanced to begin with. The moment someone became incredibly wealthy was the moment a little bit of wealth was stripped from the rest of everyone else. The unrestricted amassing of wealth by few people results in little money to circulate and enable the enrichment of others.
    I agree. and by the way in terms of population size the glass would be upside down, way more poor folks than rich folks. The glass is right in terms of amount of wealth though.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    Because those in power don't wan't to give up their power. If all our needs are met, then we can't be enslaved and manipulated into doing their bidding.
    Do you agree?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Edit: Well looky here, guess which grad students are most likely to cheat?
    Do you mean which are most likely to admit to cheating?

And are you implying that the other majors arent going to use their degrees to make money? I get sick of the "businessmen are evil" tirade.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Do you mean which are most likely to admit to cheating?

And are you implying that the other majors arent going to use their degrees to make money? I get sick of the "businessmen are evil" tirade.
    Isn't the only way to make money in tertiary industry by using your information advantage to sell to a consumer at a higher price than you purchased the good for in the first place?

Seems to me that this is somewhat dishonest by its very nature.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, or by designing and copyrighting/patenting the idea for a product that a lot of people want to buy.

That's kinda what I'd prefer to go for, myself.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?