User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    When I used to do consulting work I learned that the real money was made by people who prolonged the problem as long as they could. You can see it in many types of work. Take a car salesman, which makes more--the one who honestly wants to get you a good deal or the right vehicle for your particular needs? Or the one willing to manipulate you in order to sell you the car with the highest profit margin? You could probably think of endless examples.

Edit: Well looky here, guess which grad students are most likely to cheat?
    And guess which undergrad students have a difference of -24.4 from the mean of their own graduate entrance exam?

I wonder if there's a correlation?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    Maybe not everybody wants to get rich at all?
    Very good point.

Money =/= happiness by any means. There is also a great deal of mental stress involved in maintaining wealth. If you couple that with the human tendency to move from one desire to the next as soon as one is fulfilled, it'd be a little too easy to get lost in your own wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    This, and to further explain it. Supply and demand. Demand most definatly being the most important factor in getting rich. Or rather said, the breaking point and how you work it in terms of competition.
    ummm, no, supply and demand does not work in real life.

otherwise the market would be 100% efficient
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    ummm, no, supply and demand does not work in real life.

otherwise the market would be 100% efficient
    Reaching the breaking point of supply and demand and hover just above it while staying healthy amidst the competition is.

Hence, supply and demand are important factors that are used in business'.

I was not in any way insinuating a 100% effecient supply and demand is neccesary.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    Everyone has their own talents. MBTI and enneagram are both systems to shine light on what they are and leap you ahead decades ahead those who do not know. Instead of knowing your type and cheering, ask, how do I leverage this knowledge? Deep down, I really do applaud everyone here who have taken the time to discover who they are. By knowing this, you are aware of your strengths and weaknesses. Knowing this is spirituality.
    I like this; well said.

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    a lot of people want to become sports stars, but few have the physical gifts and the willingness to push themselves hard enough.

a lot of people want to be smart, but few have the drive or curiosity to compel themsevles to study.

a lot of people want to be rich, but few are disciplined enough to build wealth.

opportunities abound; most people are simply not trained, don't have the will to work for it or even don't truly want to become rich. some people are, whether they admit it or not, completely happy not being wealthy.

to sum up, it's a combination of motivation, natural ability and culture.
    And generally there's an element of luck and timing mixed into that.

Most people who are wealthy are persistent and have many failures before they meet with success.

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    This.

I also find that many people don't realize that you don't usually achieve wealth through one venue. Most wealthy individuals have spread their assets into several markets with promising outlooks.

However, no matter how intelligent or good at investing you may be, there will always be some element of chance involved. The trick is, don't be afraid of taking those chances I suppose.
    Yes, this.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Explain

If capitalism favor self interest and equal opportunity for all, why does so many people fail to get rich?
    Because some people don't know how, and those who do aren't ready to make the sacrifices to get there. Getting rich requires a certain level of obsession. After you are rich...you want to remain rich. It's a vicious cycle.

Anyone read "Think and Grow Rich" ? I think the guy had a point. If all you think about is your goal, and you work everyday with that in mind (by working I don't mean busting your ass at work...just working for that goal, whichever avenues you choose) as a priority, you're bound to succeed. It's when "you're don't want to get rich THAT much" that things get trickier.

MBTI
    intp

Here's another theory, though this has more to do with remaining poor than with not becoming rich.
    Excerpt from The sting of poverty - The Boston Globe
    In the community of people dedicated to analyzing poverty, one of the sharpest debates is over why some poor people act in ways that ensure their continued indigence. Compared with the middle class or the wealthy, the poor are disproportionately likely to drop out of school, to have children while in their teens, to abuse drugs, to commit crimes, to not save when extra money comes their way, to not work.

To an economist, this is irrational behavior. It might make sense for a wealthy person to quit his job, or to eschew education or develop a costly drug habit. But a poor person, having little money, would seem to have the strongest incentive to subscribe to the Puritan work ethic, since each dollar earned would be worth more to him than to someone higher on the income scale. Social conservatives have tended to argue that poor people lack the smarts or willpower to make the right choices. Social liberals have countered by blaming racial prejudice and the crippling conditions of the ghetto for denying the poor any choice in their fate. Neoconservatives have argued that antipoverty programs themselves are to blame for essentially bribing people to stay poor.

Karelis, a professor at George Washington University, has a simpler but far more radical argument to make: traditional economics just doesn't apply to the poor. When we're poor, Karelis argues, our economic worldview is shaped by deprivation, and we see the world around us not in terms of goods to be consumed but as problems to be alleviated. This is where the bee stings come in: A person with one bee sting is highly motivated to get it treated. But a person with multiple bee stings does not have much incentive to get one sting treated, because the others will still throb. The more of a painful or undesirable thing one has (i.e. the poorer one is) the less likely one is to do anything about any one problem. Poverty is less a matter of having few goods than having lots of problems.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I like that explanation, Ina. However, let's remember that being poor and not being rich is far from equivalent. I still think that it will not be impossible for everybody to reach a decent standard of living, but I cannot envision a future with limitless resources, so that everybody would be able to get rich. Even if ability was, in some way, equalized - then chance would come into play (ex. you're born in a country with lots of resources, or not).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I like that explanation, Ina. However, let's remember that being poor and not being rich is far from equivalent. .
    ahem . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Here's another theory, though this has more to do with remaining poor than with not becoming rich.
    Also, I think we can extrapolate somewhat and argue that people do not become rich partly - but only partly - for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I still think that it will not be impossible for everybody to reach a decent standard of living, but I cannot envision a future with limitless resources, so that everybody would be able to get rich.
    Agreed, and this has to do also with the relativity of the concept of rich - i.e. it constantly readjusts to suit the level of resources of a given place. If rich was once having X benchmarks, as soon as most people have X, the benchmark for the rich readjusts to a higher value.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I think it's because many people (initially) rely on the system, and the conveniences it offers out of it's job opportunities and public demand that they eventually become dependent on it - that's to say they end up living mundane lives, barely. They forget the attitude of competition, and without that they won't get rich...