User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Why does so many people fail to get rich?

I don't know about you all, but the two-sided sword of personal ethics and lack of motivation keep me from snatching my own mountain of gold.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Although it is not unheard of for someone to lose a job as a skilled worker and be unable to find other work, I imagine the kind of skills it takes to assemble the front end of a car would be applicable in many other jobs.
    Well, if your particular sort of skilled labor has been replaced by mechanization at your previous job, it's likely that this can happen elsewhere. Oh, and the replacement job is across the country, you have no resources to get there, and your wife just got put in the hospital for breast cancer.

Bad luck happens. Capitalism takes the unfortunate man, looks at him, and scoffs with disdain.

The automotive part is just something you learned. You can apply your skills to other industries. If you ENJOY doing the type of work you do, you could do the same sort of thing with medical equipment, Oil/gas/green power/Energy equipment, aerospace etc.
    It's not so easy to learn the particulars of a manufacturing job at 50 as it is at 20, and you demand more pay - you have to feed a family, you know. Why is a company going to hire you when the labor pool is that much bigger, given all these permanent job losses?

It depends on what you mean by "rich". If you mean having 10s of millions of dollars in wealth plus owning mansions and a Ferrari ... well that's almost like buying a lottery. You'll never get that kind of money unless you're born into it, are extremely lucky, or extremely gifted and still pretty lucky as well. Don't lose sleep over it.

But if by rich, you mean "affluent"? I think money management is a big part of that. A lot of folks overbuy cars and houses, and spend money on stuff they don't need. And they don't know much about investments. So many middle class people are stuck paying off credit card bills for stuff they bought years ago and could have waited for. People who become wealthy buy stocks, bonds, real estate, and get their capital working for them to generate interest. SJs tend to be the best at this. I've found NFPs to be the worst.

The concepts aren't difficult. Even a SFP like myself can learn money mangement. Just another skill, eh.
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 07-26-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typos

Alexander the Terrible Array yenom's Avatar

^rich meaning you don't have to work for your own food. I think I aleady defined this earlier.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.