• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT, sane = unmemorable?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
To be quite honest, I find most people that are too even-keeled and "reasonable," to be extremely boring. Day after day, you know they will always be the same, say the same things, do the same things...:zzz:

Yes, and most often this seems to correlate with Te dom/aux and/or Si.

My ISTJ is extremely dependable and predictable, but he's certainly not boring. He has very deep knowledge on some extremely obscure subjects, which he pulls on to make very witty and incisive comments and jokes all the time. Couple this with his being somewhat oblivious to others' emotional needs and moods in rooms/crowds, and often misjudging things on that level, and you get someone who's rarely forgotten once met!

I've been nicknamed Marmite Man in the past, after a British sandwich filler that's advertised as "you either love it or hate it!" - meaning there's no such thing as an indifferent reaction to me :laugh: yet I'm also known for being Mr Level Head, Mr Calm in a Crisis.

In short, no I don't think you have to be a super outrageous stereotypical ESxP in order to be memorable or noticed, and I don't think that qualities of level headedness or whatever necessarily bar you from being.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'm exploring whether logical mindset, reasonability, calmness, productivity and the like is associated with being unmemorable.

No,

einstein12.jpg

Stephen_Hawking.StarChild.jpg

Benjamin_Franklin.jpg

Bill_Gates_World_Economic_Forum_2007.jpg

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ISTJ is extremely dependable and predictable, but he's certainly not boring. He has very deep knowledge on some extremely obscure subjects, which he pulls on to make very witty and incisive comments and jokes all the time. Couple this with his being somewhat oblivious to others' emotional needs and moods in rooms/crowds, and often misjudging things on that level, and you get someone who's rarely forgotten once met!

Being witty and incisive is certainly not boring, I agree.

Btw, cool blue flame.

LOL, if you think Albert Einstein and Benjamin Franklin were "calm, reasonable, and productive." It's not so much being "logical" that's less memorable, but focusing on the mundane and consciously trying to prevent anything that may cause waves, whether they be physical or psychological, from occurring.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
My life story.

Being memorable would help me out in many situations, mostly in work.

I think my shortcomings to being memorable are
-my independence
-being logical
-being reasonable
-being factual, responsible, etc
-managing and solving troubles, rather than making troubles
-generally being too cerebral, most of the people miss most of my stuff
-I don't find the most people memorable at all, even if they are enjoyable.
-I strive for being correct and helpful, as opposed to being weird shit
-When I do act like a weird shit for some performance, I'm taken very well, and congratulated upon - but I'm bit embarassed, and feel a slight problem for the deviation of my inner life and my outer appearance.
-I think the ultimate goal of the man is to fight their material conditions, i.e. providing food, comfort, people not dieing etc. I'm at odds with the world coming a big youtube, idols competition etc. (Boring!! ?)

NTs, or others identify with this? J? Others? Who?

I'm thinking my shortcomings lie in the my lack of marketable insanities. For example, I'm not the fan of one sports team.

Sanity is dull.

I don't get what's supposed to be wrong with this list. Why are these shortcomings?? :huh:

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Being witty and incisive is certainly not boring, I agree.

Btw, cool blue flame.

LOL, if you think Albert Einstein and Benjamin Franklin were "calm, reasonable, and productive." It's not so much being "logical" that's less memorable, but focusing on the mundane and consciously trying to prevent anything that may cause waves, whether they be physical or psychological, from occurring.

Well yeah, obviously if you never try you'll never succeed. If you don't cause a frikkin' tsunami you won't get noticed in the maelstrom of history. But on the other hand I'm saying that you don't need to have a specific outgoing, weird, outrageous personality or type to become memorable. It's all up to you.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
That kind of normality isn't memorable, which is a hinderance in many kinds of networks.

Or, at least in attention economy.

Well. Mostly in that.

Well, those are the things that I remember about a person.
I think your problem is that you are seeking out the attention of an audience that doesn't suit you. Or maybe you are suffering from low self esteem.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think your problem is that you are seeking out the attention of an audience that doesn't suit you. Or maybe you are suffering from low self esteem.
I wrote some silly introspective stuff that I then deleted.

No, I really need a vacation. I don't think of my own life as interesting enough without a holiday.

So, I must have one :D

Apart from that, I'm interested of this as a larger social phenomenon, perhaps something that only pertains to certain kinds of social groups.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I wrote some silly introspective stuff that I then deleted.

No, I really need a vacation. I don't think of my own life as interesting enough without a holiday.

So, I must have one :D

Apart from that, I'm interested of this as a larger social phenomenon, perhaps something that only pertains to certain kinds of social groups.

I know. I was saying something equally as silly in order for you to realize how you sound. I don't really understand self doubt, and I don't think you do, either - which is good. I get all emo sounding when burnt out, too, but I just sound it. Take your vacation and refresh. Then get back to normal.

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
I'd replace the word "insane" with "idiosyncratic". And I think NTs are a fairly idiosyncratic bunch, except for ENTJs (the SJs of the NTs).

Ti, Te, Ni, and Ne can take one to all sorts of weird places.
Hey!:steam:

We're just idiosyncratic in a different way. Which I suppose is the point.

There's also something to be said for moving the system to fit your needs instead of either swinging from the bars or imagining it differently. It's practical, but it's in no way ignoring the greater structure.

Calmness and the ability to continue functioning in extreme and random situations is sometimes a sign of insanity, and that's what I specialize in.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Well, those are the things that I remember about a person.

This.

And are you sure you're not just bored and projecting this? Bored people have a knack for being boring. ;)

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
You can't be in everybody's Monkeysphere.

What is the Monkeysphere? | Cracked.com

(This is actually pretty legit, not an off topic answer. Check it out, it makes sense)

You need to determine which 'sphere's' you want to be in and cultivate those spheres. It may take some prioritizing, especially if you have a large family or want to have lots of strong social networking/career networking ties.

It sounds like you are trying to not make waves at your job to meet your future needs, and by doing so, you feel like no one will actually remember who you are, which could be detrimental to your overall goal. So on one hand you're building, and with the other you may be self-destructing all that work. Am I getting the jist or am I way off?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If being logical is so rare, why would being logical cause you to be unmemorable? I don't get it.

-I don't find the most people memorable at all, even if they are enjoyable.

Honestly this is the one characteristic which really jumped out at me as affecting your memorable-ness. Social relationships are all about reciprocation. People like being appreciated, remembered, thought of as someone- if you go out of your way to show that to someone, they will start paying attention to you.

Lots and lots of people have interesting characteristics- but it all remains in theory, detached- you might as well read about them in a book. What is unique is the interactions you have with them. :yes:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It sounds like you are trying to not make waves at your job to meet your future needs, and by doing so, you feel like no one will actually remember who you are, which could be detrimental to your overall goal. So on one hand you're building, and with the other you may be self-destructing all that work. Am I getting the jist or am I way off?
No, it is just like that. I was trying to hint something like that, but I hadn't figured it out yet. My workplace attitude is spilling over to my private life as well. I can't help to have it influence me.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Social relationships are all about reciprocation. People like being appreciated, remembered, thought of as someone- if you go out of your way to show that to someone, they will start paying attention to you.
True. This is what I thought of my social life. Yeah, plenty of good friends, but still too much distance with people I could potentially like.

I've tried to approach many people carefree, not afraid of rejection or any kind of insecurities. I've usually asked them to join some of my folks a few times for good fun, and if they haven't been interested, I've then forgotten them for the rest of our lives. I've taken as if it's very easy to accept invitations, and I've straightforward, direct and fast to accept non-interest.

I haven't been practical. In reality, people have their lives filled with work, studies, hobbies and friends, and their time is valuable - not something to be tossed away at every chance. I should have taken their time as valuable, and learned to know them better in those situations we had, before inviting them elsewhere.

For example, people might usually go to a new workplace for several months before it's usual to get invited for a beer with the workmates.

Being too open, quick to invite, quick to accept "disinterest" (when there was none) spells trouble. I think that's my key problem. I've acted disinterested towards them after I have read disinterest from them.

I have been too open, quick to act for my own good. People need to get to know another person slowly.

I've trusted in my tendency (ability, if you will) to make snap decisions about a person to be able act with them faster, but it hasn't been useful, if I've seemed over-eager (which I am not) or something similar.

Hmm. Thanks.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Someone whom you would talk about.
Someone you'd invite for a trip, beer night, hockey match or something like that.
Someone who's personality you would think about.
Someone who you'd thought of as a person, not just nobody.
Someone who's absense you would note without having to check it out from a spreadsheet.
Someone who's wishes you might want to consider.
Someone you would plot against :devil:

The monkeysphere article was interesting. It opened up the idea that the world is an adventure, things are not under control. Exhilarating!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Someone whom you would talk about.
Someone you'd invite for a trip, beer night, hockey match or something like that.
Someone who's personality you would think about.
Someone who you'd thought of as a person, not just nobody.
Someone who's absense you would note without having to check it out from a spreadsheet.
Someone who's wishes you might want to consider.
Someone you would plot against :devil:

The monkeysphere article was interesting. It opened up the idea that the world is an adventure, things are not under control. Exhilarating!

That's just being someone's friend. It's not hard at all. Just put the other person's interests ahead of your own, and you're halfway there. Or better yet, find out that their interests and your own coincide. Then you get a potential great friend.