half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Do you mean they don't see the real you? Or, what do you mean? Why would they see you as a strange novelty?
    Of course they don't see the real me. I hate to talk about the S/N divide because it sounds so cheesy, but I think there's some truth to it. Also, maybe because I am female and most women don't speak as openly as I do.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Of course they don't see the real me. I hate to talk about the S/N divide because it sounds so cheesy, but I think there's some truth to it. Also, maybe because I am female and most women don't speak as openly as I do.
    So, it is safe to say you often feel alienated?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

So, it is safe to say you often feel alienated?
    Well, I don't feel like they are alienating me, more like I am alienating myself. I don't get enough out of most social situations, so I tend to withdraw after a bit.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, I don't feel like they are alienating me, more like I am alienating myself. I don't get enough out of most social situations, so I tend to withdraw after a bit.
    What are you trying to get out of social situations?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

What are you trying to get out of social situations?
    I don't know. At first it seems like it will be fun, so I go with a super excited attitude, ready to do or talk about anything. Then it feels like I'm just doing a stand-up routine, so I stop talking to see who else will chip in. Then I realize that no one will, so I stop trying and just withdraw. This never happens with you??

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know. At first it seems like it will be fun, so I go with a super excited attitude, ready to do or talk about anything. Then it feels like I'm just doing a stand-up routine, so I stop talking to see who else will chip in. Then I realize that no one will, so I stop trying and just withdraw. This never happens with you??
    For me it's just how I respond to social discomfort. Also, it seems easier to perform sometimes than to connect. Know what I mean? Now I try harder to connect, which is why you find me talking more about my weaker areas and my complicated and often painful personal experiences. Everyone can relate to that shit AND it happens to be actually true, unlike the fabulous tales I used to impress people with if I felt uncomfortable or felt like I needed their approval.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

For me it's just how I respond to social discomfort. Also, it seems easier to perform sometimes than to connect. Know what I mean? Now I try harder to connect, which is why you find me talking more about my weaker areas and my complicated and often painful personal experiences. Everyone can relate to that shit AND it happens to be actually true, unlike the fabulous tales I used to impress people with if I felt uncomfortable or felt like I needed their approval.

I always feel like I'm being self-involved when I talk about those things. I know other people can get that feeling of connection from the shared pain or whatever, but that doesn't change the weird feeling I get from it. It's like bathing in dirty water everyone is washing in.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Hmmm, our motivations are completely different. I actually connect by banter. I like to see that quick mental connection - someone who operates at the same speed that I do. This is what feels natural to me. To start in with darker topics... I don't know, I think it's a mood killer if people are just trying to have a good time. And those things just work their way out organically, there's a time and place for everything.

I never think about impressing people. My problem stems from wanting others to impress me.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I always feel like I'm being self-involved when I talk about those things. I know other people can get that feeling of connection from the shared pain or whatever, but that doesn't change the weird feeling I get from it. It's like bathing in dirty water everyone is washing in.
    Well, I approach it more from the point of view of what have I learned rather than as an excuse to bitch and moan and wallow in shit. I care very much about learning from negative experiences. To learn from them it often helps to acknowledge and discuss them. But, I definitely get your meaning. I don't want to rehash things to feel bad or to indulge in self-pity.

MBTI
    ENTP

Hmmm, our motivations are completely different. I actually connect by banter. I like to see that quick mental connection - someone who operates at the same speed that I do. This is what feels natural to me. To start in with darker topics... I don't know, I think it's a mood killer if people are just trying to have a good time. And those things just work their way out organically, there's a time and place for everything.

I never think about impressing people. My problem stems from wanting others to impress me.
    Welllllll, is it possible you just think people want to impress you? Maybe people just want to relate and be liked and share. Maybe you're projecting. *shrug*