User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 105

  1. #21
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    this post goes so well with your sig.


    Readers, this exchange shall continue in our visitor messages!

  2. #22
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post


    Readers, this exchange shall continue in our visitor messages!
    That's too bad. This is the first thread about ENTP's that was derailed by an INTJ. It was actually getting interesting.


    To the OP: I was thinking along the same lines as Economica. He might have a crush on you. You moved away and he got married, so there might be some baggage there that he doesn't know how to deal with. That's my $.02 anyway about a situation involving a bunch of strangers I really know nothing about.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    crush on you and/or other things in life is he trying to figure out that somehow involve you
    -any incident that brought you to an uncomfortable place
    -an understanding(s) that he had with you and not with anyone else

    like it or not, ENTP/INFJ *is* supposed to be the ideal match

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Irrespective of type I'd consider the possibility that he might have a crush on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    ...
    To the OP: I was thinking along the same lines as Economica. He might have a crush on you. You moved away and he got married, so there might be some baggage there that he doesn't know how to deal with...
    ^^Oh this most definitely occurred to me. And I have certainly seen my brother (an ENTP) "act out" when he had unresolved feelings that didn't jibe with reality. He'd have these bizarre stints of risky behavior and angry outbursts, but he'd naturally feel compelled to subdue them so he'd alternate with cool civility and small talk. It's a pattern I've learned to recognize.

    It helps to remember that anger is not an independent emotion, it stems from hurt. With ENTPs (or most people) you typically see the reac., not the causal emotion, which in this case may be sadness, confusion --even hopelessness.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  5. #25
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    i had the whole crush idea, because its simple and neat and everything, but I lacked data for a better analysis so its more of a default answer, which i didn't give until now for the aformentioned reasons, but then everybody did say that so here I am. I insist on the point that if everybody said that too its because that's what we can extrapolate from the data, which are sparse, so don't get all excited.

    Entps are not dogmatic about their romantic relationships, I mean, in the case of real life infj i observed in their natural habitat, it seems like they're way more into that whole 'i found him now lets make a little bird house' and totally close the door to other options, which is something I and I think entps don't do or even understand in my case. But 'we' are also socially conscious, so we're not going to 'throw everything away for her'. Which leads to conflicts, frustration. And we already have difficulties waiting in a fast food restaurant.
    So its possible, that at some level its related to the frustration of not getting things his way, and not actually really knowing what way he wanted it, and being stuck in an impossible situation.

    Well, I just don't know, as i said, i lack data. and the good old neo freudian intepretation is generally the easiest one, with us being into reproduction and everything.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  6. #26
    Senior Member Tiny Army's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    679

    Default

    What did you do? Your OP seems to indicate that you did nothing wrong and this ENTP just flipped out at you for now reason but I'm going to say it now, you INFJs are not the most naturally tactful people on earth. I know an INFJ who keeps getting banned from party houses for being rude and she for the most part has no idea what she's done wrong at all. Ask his wife and your fiance if he has said anything to them about the situation.

    Add to that the fact that Ne dominants are quick to be offended because everything you say and do fits into our greater understanding of you as a person and we can often carry out a thought to (what we think is) it's logical conclusion and get twice as offended as is necessary before the other party has even finished their thought. You probably made a tactless remark and he probably blew it completely out of proportion.
    Anger is also a feeling.

  7. #27
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Oh, there's also the fact that some of us, I think, might have this 'i want to be loved' thing.
    I'll speak for myself here, but contrarely to what people may think, friendship is NOT something i give easily, most people who think of me as a friend are just acquaintances to me. I'd never go out of my way to help them, except if i was in a good mood that day or could gain something out of it in some way (which includes being liked, or having people do my homeworks for me)

    So if he considered you as a friend, and you just left. The entp, who's whole universe is about how special and unique he is, will not like it, obviously. Because it states that he's something of an option in your life. We know this is childish, especially when we see how we treat most people.
    He was probably happy with the mix he had between you and his girlfriend, different tastes, different kind of relationships, but a nice overall mix keeping him happy.
    Then you left, and he had to accept that he wasn't an absolute must-have in your life, when he considered you as a friend, which again, is something very special to me/us, even if I never seem to make a big deal out of it, it's the only thing in the universe i hold as sacred.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  8. #28
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    OP - my take on the whole thing? He was not angry with you before, but he's angry with you now.

    You assumed he had some sort of separation anxiety, when he had none that you know of. When you visited, he was just joking around (in his mind) which was enhanced by his usage of whatever substance he was on. Now, in the context of good friends, I would expect my friend to give me a pass if I act out of turn once or twice and wasn't aware of it. But you think it's part of some larger problem with you.

    So you turn around and complain about him. If I were him, I would feel pissed off and insulted. Like we were friends and I thought everything was cool, because you never said anything to me, but then you turn around and are having this whole big conflict in your head with me that I had no idea about. And you don't even have the decency to tell me directly.

    So to smooth things over, I would apologize to your fiance, too - since he was the one that approached me. But I would be waiting for your phone call to tell me that you are sorry for overreacting.

    Since you never called him, he thought you were the one holding the grudge. Then you still had the nerve to dance at his wedding? Chutzpah.

    I, for one, don't hold grudges. It's senseless and time wasting. I'm sure he is annoyed with you because he's assuming that you are holding some huge grudge. Just call him and congratulate him. Talk to him directly and just make things back to normal. Don't even bring up the incident when you visited. It's not worth it. Just move forward (unless, of course, you think this man has a substance problem...)

    My 2 cents.


    EDIT: knowing ESTPs and the way they speak, he probably ripped your ENTP a new one, compounding the problem even more. Seriously, he probably made it seem like it was 10x worse than what it was - I'm sure that has had an affect on the ENTPs psyche, too.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Was your move sprung on him, did you give him foreshadowing (enough heads-up) that you both were indeed contemplating moving? Or, did you let him know once everything was already decided? How much heads-up was he given? Was the move something that you, more than your ESTP hubby, initiated? He might hold resentment towards you for taking away his best friend so abruptly (ESTP), without giving him sufficient time to prepare.

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i'm well aware that ENTPs have faults. i pointed out what i did because whenever anyone announces that they know 'quite a few' Ns in real life, then i'm naturally doubtful of their typing skills.
    This would assume that there's a dispersed distribution given any setting for Ns. General population trends cannot predict small sample trend (it's the other way around, once amalgamated). It may very well be that clusters exist due to correlation with settings. E.g., diff areas w/in academia, or by interests, etc.

  10. #30
    Senior Member mwv6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Thanks for your responses. I'll answer some of them one by one -->

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i think the fact that you believe you know 'quite a few ENTPs' says something.
    I do know a lot of ENTPs because my ESTP fiance seems to attract them. I can think of four off the top of my head in his inner circle, and three of those I know for sure are ENTP because they let me type them. (I'm sure there are more ENTPs if I extend out to his old college buddies, former coworkers, etc. He just seems to attract ENTP friends and enjoys their company because he says they're 'like him but uncensored.' He also works in insurance sales and judging from the coworkers I've met there seem to be more ESTP's and ENTP's there than you might find in a random sample.) I think that intuitives, especially extroverted intuitives, are not all that unusual in certain circles, although sensors certainly do outnumber intuitives in general.


    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Shall we tell her at that point that she may be not infj cause we are totally pissed by the post btw ? or shall we wait and watch ?
    I'm sorry if I've offended you somehow. I've always gotten along easily with ENTPs and enjoyed their sense of humor and witty repartee. That's why I've been so surprised by the conflict I'm having with this ENTP. And, for the record, I'm 100% positive that I'm INFJ.


    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Irrespective of type I'd consider the possibility that he might have a crush on you.
    Looking back over my post I can see how it might be tempting to read that in between the lines, and I do sense a certain chemistry between myself and several of the ENTPs I've known, but I'm confident that it's not a factor in this situation. The ENTP and I were good friends certainly but he is very devoted to his ESFJ partner. (It's somewhat of a volatile relationship at times, as you might imagine with an ENTP+ESFJ pairing, but he is definitely devoted.)


    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    ...I have certainly seen my brother (an ENTP) "act out" when he had unresolved feelings that didn't jibe with reality. He'd have these bizarre stints of risky behavior and angry outbursts, but he'd naturally feel compelled to subdue them so he'd alternate with cool civility and small talk. It's a pattern I've learned to recognize.
    Yes, that completely describes the situation! When he's sober, he plays nice with me and can be very polite. And then it was like seething anger toward me after he had some alcohol/other drugs in him (I suppose because his subconscious was unleashed?).

    Several posters suggested that he may have a drug/alcohol problem and looking back I think that's very possible. I would guess maybe an alcohol problem and possibly a prescription drug problem as well. The thing is, though, that if he has substance abuse issues I'm pretty certain that he's had them since before we met, and he didn't used to have this anger toward me. So the substance abuse could be causing him to express his anger more freely, but beyond that something has changed in our friendship because he never used to act like that toward me.


    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Oh, there's also the fact that some of us, I think, might have this 'i want to be loved' thing....
    So if he considered you as a friend, and you just left. The entp, who's whole universe is about how special and unique he is, will not like it, obviously. Because it states that he's something of an option in your life. We know this is childish, especially when we see how we treat most people.
    He was probably happy with the mix he had between you and his girlfriend, different tastes, different kind of relationships, but a nice overall mix keeping him happy.
    Then you left, and he had to accept that he wasn't an absolute must-have in your life, when he considered you as a friend, which again, is something very special to me/us, even if I never seem to make a big deal out of it, it's the only thing in the universe i hold as sacred.
    That actually really, really resonates. Thank you for the insight. I do think he harbors some resentment that we moved and I guess in a sense abandoned them as best friends, although of course it was never our intention to hurt him. His wife was also sad when we left but did not seem to take it so personally. I would say that I was good friends with both the ESFJ wife and the ENTP himself, and my ESTP fiance is friends with the ESFJ too, but definitely the strongest bond was between my ESTP fiance and the ENTP. They were very, very tight.

    As I mentioned in the original post, he was quite angry with my fiance and avoided him for a couple weeks after he found out we were moving. Now he is fine with my fiance, but seems to have transferred the anger to me. Maybe he subconsciously blames me for the move and for "taking away" his best friend?? That's actually not logical, because moving back to our home town was a mutual decision that worked best for both our careers and for getting closer to our families. But maybe when my fiance first told the ENTP, maybe he pushed it off as my decision because the ENTP was so hurt that it made my fiance feel guilty and uncomfortable? And so maybe that's why the ENTP's now angry with me? Hmm. That's the theory that's forming in my head at least. Also, ever since the first incident six months ago, we hadn't really talked to the ENTP but had been keeping in touch pretty much solely with the ESFJ, not intentionally of course, but just because she was always the one who reached out. Maybe he's hurt that my ESTP didn't contact him directly? I don't know... Although that seems like something he'd be more angry with my fiance for than with me

    But I do feel like now overall I have a better understanding of why he's angry with me, even if I think it's misplaced and a little irrational. How do you think I should move forward? My partner and I do want to try to remain friends with them. I am very non-confrontational and my typical way of dealing with something like this would be to act like nothing ever happened and hope that time will heal all wounds. But based on the experience this weekend, I'm thinking that may not work on him, and I'm not sure how many more volatile encounters with him I can handle... Should I confront him? If so, what might be the best way to do so without further angering him?

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Hi, need help w/ an ENTP
    By Rainne in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 04:00 AM
  2. [ENTP] ANGRY entp?
    By Acidic Liquid in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 05:17 PM
  3. [ENTP] help w a troublesome entp
    By sculpting in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 03:17 PM
  4. [ENTP] An angry ENTP
    By Habba in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 03:46 AM
  5. [ENTP] help with an ENTP!
    By handsopen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO