• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] When does perseverance turn to futility

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i need some NT to speak in my language and explain this to me cuz i don't know where to stop

i cant remember giving up on anything i thought was worthwhile pursuing...but things change, right?

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, perseverance becomes futile when I have more important things to do with the time I am spending on it. For example, the result is not worth the time spent, and I have something else to do which I believe to be more important.

This is not just based on personal preference but also based on societal standards. (Especially when it comes to work related issues.) There are many times I persevere because I believe I need to, not because I want too. Thus, importance of the project is more important that personal preference.

When that happens it is basicly a conscious choice.

If I have nothing better to do anyway, I may persevere out of sheer boredom. But this does not happen much at all. There's almost always other stuff in my head I can focus on.

I'd love to go way deeper in the subject, but I think this is about all there is to it to me. :p

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
^^this.

And if something starting to be harmful to you. If something is damaging, causing you to feel too many emotions.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
If you get stuck then you postpone it, even years later you can come back to it.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I'm glad I have friends that keep me in line when I go into preserverence is everything mode. I can over-do my love of challenges sometimes, perhaps.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
^^this.

And if something starting to be harmful to you. If something is damaging, causing you to feel too many emotions.

so feeling emotions is a bad thing? then how the hell is this world ever gonna find the motivation to solve the hunger problem...but thats calls for another thread

i currently choose to believe that 'if its not happy, its not the end'...

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I meant to say negative emotions, which can be damaging if you are constantly swimming in them and don't recognize it.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
For me, perseverance becomes futile when I have more important things to do with the time I am spending on it. For example, the result is not worth the time spent, and I have something else to do which I believe to be more important.

This is not just based on personal preference but also based on societal standards. (Especially when it comes to work related issues.) There are many times I persevere because I believe I need to, not because I want too. Thus, importance of the project is more important that personal preference.

When that happens it is basicly a conscious choice.

If I have nothing better to do anyway, I may persevere out of sheer boredom. But this does not happen much at all. There's almost always other stuff in my head I can focus on.

I'd love to go way deeper in the subject, but I think this is about all there is to it to me. :p

spoken like a true rational...i think that way about daily life too

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
the difference between perseverance and futility is the strength of the plan before hand.

If the plan is weak, then it's usually futility
If the plan is well thought out, then it's perseverance.

In the case that a plan isn't there, I look for some kind of metric. Something to tell me that I'm going in the right direction. But this is more or less a desperate measure.

For instance, If you're starting a business, The statistics of business that fail are staggering. first year, 90% fail. Of those that are still standing, 90% fail after 3 years. The common thread that are the winning bunch is the strength of their plans and how much persevereance was used to push the plan forward. Sometimes, for a whole year, you don't know if you're doing well or sinking under. This is why you have a risk assessment or exit plan in the overall business plan.

For me, perseverance becomes futile when I have more important things to do with the time I an spending on it/

This is cool, however the exit plan is based on interest and time available. It's definitely cool for interests, hobbies and things like that. However when it becomes more serious matters (like how am I going to make ends meet this month), having a good plan and sticking to it, is perseverance. That same act without a plan is futility: if you succeed, that's luck.

The one thing you want to avoid is stagnation, ambivalence, or anything that is not giving you a clear sign which way you're going. Sometimes you can't help it and this is where being creative comes in handy mixed with perseverance to get back on track.

hope this helps.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Perseverance turn to futility when you no longer have a path to your goal.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
food for thought...i need a drink

i cant remember giving up on anything i thought was worthwhile pursuing...but things change, right?

After thinking about it some more, is this symptomatic of pserseverance/futility or really about fear and doubt?

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
After thinking about it some more, is this symptomatic of pserseverance/futility or really about fear and doubt?

doubt being the reason for perseverance to turn to futility.

but then it comes back to perseverance...doesnt it

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Preserverence becomes futility when you no longer beilieve you can reach your goal, or when you realized the effort and time you spent is out of proportion with the result you seek. Often learning when to give up is harder than persisting.

As they aways say, there is the button: retry, abort ,fail.