12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Default Video Game Plot Devices: ENTJs and INTJs

I don't know about you, but I play lots of video games and computer games. And through my time, I noticed an obvious pattern of an ENTJ villain who's up there and in your face. But after you push him out of the way, you realize that he was actually being controlled by a shady, mysterious INTJ.

That's all well and good for plot devicing, but don't you think there's a better way than to simply sit on the NTJs all the time? Just because people think they are evil doesn't mean that they are evil, no matter what they tell you.

So don't you think it is weird how ENTJs and INTJs are always portrayed as evil?
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I don't play many videogames, but it seems like some of the villain archetypes could easily be ESTJ (I'm thinking heads of evil corporations or whatever). And any characters motivated by passion could easily be corrupted xNFJ. But I suppose the caricature of an xNTJ who isn't tempered by Fi would make a good pragmatic, unfeeling, bitter villain who can scheme up and execute dastardly plots. The player isn't inspired to feel any kind of pity for the opponent, which fits into the amount of deep thinking most videogames are designed to inspire.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

I used to play games like counterstrike/shooters and marvel vs capcom/street fighter, and now the only game I play is texas holdem. I'll play console games with friends but the last one I bought was PS2. You are probably playing like RPG games?

have you heard of that story about third world countries going to war over mining business for a rare metal that was used in Playstation 3? It's like blood diamonds...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Gewitter27 View Post
    I don't know about you, but I play lots of video games and computer games. And through my time, I noticed an obvious pattern of an ENTJ villain who's up there and in your face. But after you push him out of the way, you realize that he was actually being controlled by a shady, mysterious INTJ.

That's all well and good for plot devicing, but don't you think there's a better way than to simply sit on the NTJs all the time? Just because people think they are evil doesn't mean that they are evil, no matter what they tell you.

So don't you think it is weird how ENTJs and INTJs are always portrayed as evil?
    ive seen lots of INTJ anit-heros if that makes you feel better.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    nnnn

It's the stereotype of the shadow side of (what is perceived as) mankind: cold, ruthless, intelligent, unpredictable, unknowable, deep, hidden, single-minded, psychopathic, sick (Ni yo)...robotic. It's something that repels and attracts at the same time.

But I appreciate the sentiment. Most INTJs are more than the stereotype.

At the same time it's kind of neat to sense the repelling/attracting thing.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think it's an outlet. Shoot people, hook up with babes in spandex, beat the NTJs. Otherwise everyone would go nuts. We are so getting you ready for the Matrix.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    I think it's an outlet. Shoot people, hook up with babes in spandex, beat the NTJs. Otherwise everyone would go nuts. We are so getting you ready for the Matrix.
    lol that's an interesting remark, what do you mean by, so getting you ready for the matrix.

MBTI
    INTJ

I've already said too much. Certify your NTJ status and Central Command will contact you shortly.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

NTJ's are often portrayed as villians because it makes an interesting plot. One type of plot that is often interesting for the reader/movie watcher/video game player is one where the antangonist makes an elaborate plan with many layers, twists and turns to it. Then the protagonist (and consequently the reader) slowly discovers parts of the plan as the story progresses. This type of writing can be very interersting. The consequence of this writing style though is that the antagonist is usually an NTJ, since they are naturally the best at devising elaborate plans.

Another thing to consider is that I've read INTJ is the most common type among video game designers. So the NTJ bias in video game villains could simply be a case of people writing what they know.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This type of writing can be very interersting. The consequence of this writing style though is that the antagonist is usually an NTJ, since they are naturally the best at devising elaborate plans.
    I'd like to think that if, for some reason or another, a world needed destroying or ruling, an INTJ would be the first to realize it and act on it. Just throwing that out there...