• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Video Game Plot Devices: ENTJs and INTJs

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know about you, but I play lots of video games and computer games. And through my time, I noticed an obvious pattern of an ENTJ villain who's up there and in your face. But after you push him out of the way, you realize that he was actually being controlled by a shady, mysterious INTJ.

That's all well and good for plot devicing, but don't you think there's a better way than to simply sit on the NTJs all the time? Just because people think they are evil doesn't mean that they are evil, no matter what they tell you.

So don't you think it is weird how ENTJs and INTJs are always portrayed as evil?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I don't play many videogames, but it seems like some of the villain archetypes could easily be ESTJ (I'm thinking heads of evil corporations or whatever). And any characters motivated by passion could easily be corrupted xNFJ. But I suppose the caricature of an xNTJ who isn't tempered by Fi would make a good pragmatic, unfeeling, bitter villain who can scheme up and execute dastardly plots. The player isn't inspired to feel any kind of pity for the opponent, which fits into the amount of deep thinking most videogames are designed to inspire.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I used to play games like counterstrike/shooters and marvel vs capcom/street fighter, and now the only game I play is texas holdem. I'll play console games with friends but the last one I bought was PS2. You are probably playing like RPG games?

have you heard of that story about third world countries going to war over mining business for a rare metal that was used in Playstation 3? It's like blood diamonds...

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't know about you, but I play lots of video games and computer games. And through my time, I noticed an obvious pattern of an ENTJ villain who's up there and in your face. But after you push him out of the way, you realize that he was actually being controlled by a shady, mysterious INTJ.

That's all well and good for plot devicing, but don't you think there's a better way than to simply sit on the NTJs all the time? Just because people think they are evil doesn't mean that they are evil, no matter what they tell you.

So don't you think it is weird how ENTJs and INTJs are always portrayed as evil?

ive seen lots of INTJ anit-heros if that makes you feel better. :hug:

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
It's the stereotype of the shadow side of (what is perceived as) mankind: cold, ruthless, intelligent, unpredictable, unknowable, deep, hidden, single-minded, psychopathic, sick (Ni yo)...robotic. It's something that repels and attracts at the same time.

But I appreciate the sentiment. Most INTJs are more than the stereotype. :hug:

At the same time it's kind of neat to sense the repelling/attracting thing.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's an outlet. Shoot people, hook up with babes in spandex, beat the NTJs. Otherwise everyone would go nuts. We are so getting you ready for the Matrix.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I think it's an outlet. Shoot people, hook up with babes in spandex, beat the NTJs. Otherwise everyone would go nuts. We are so getting you ready for the Matrix.

lol that's an interesting remark, what do you mean by, so getting you ready for the matrix.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've already said too much. Certify your NTJ status and Central Command will contact you shortly.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
NTJ's are often portrayed as villians because it makes an interesting plot. One type of plot that is often interesting for the reader/movie watcher/video game player is one where the antangonist makes an elaborate plan with many layers, twists and turns to it. Then the protagonist (and consequently the reader) slowly discovers parts of the plan as the story progresses. This type of writing can be very interersting. The consequence of this writing style though is that the antagonist is usually an NTJ, since they are naturally the best at devising elaborate plans.

Another thing to consider is that I've read INTJ is the most common type among video game designers. So the NTJ bias in video game villains could simply be a case of people writing what they know.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
This type of writing can be very interersting. The consequence of this writing style though is that the antagonist is usually an NTJ, since they are naturally the best at devising elaborate plans.

I'd like to think that if, for some reason or another, a world needed destroying or ruling, an INTJ would be the first to realize it and act on it. Just throwing that out there... :devil:

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
It does take an NTJ understanding of the world to know how much fun it is to be evil...

... And you're forgetting the other plot-twist option: the INTJ is defeated, and the ENTJ in your party reveals, calmly and with amused condescension, that he has been on the other side the entire time. (Note: always extremely obvious to everyone ahead of time except the characters in the party)