User Tag List

123 Last

Default I want to learn something deep or profound

I use "deep" and "profound" for lack of better words.

I know I know very little of what there is to know. The more I learn, the more true I know the last statement to be.

However, I hunger for something profound. Something so broadly applicable that it penetrates all of life, and presented as so clearly true, that it is not simply held as "may be true."

Tautologies are general, and context free, but lack the power of application. But they are the closest to profound truth that I have found.

Everything to me now just seems like another things that "may be true" or are "simple facets" of thing that I believe are "likely true" along with tautologies.

I would like toe learn "likely true" things that are broadly and generally applicable.

As a kid, it seemed like I could learn new stuff like that...
    • Using the speed of sound plus delay to measure the distance of things (a jet, a storm, fireworks whatever you could both see and hear). When I learned this as a kid, I would go to hill tops to see and hear vehicles whizzing by, and to this day, I have a habit of counting the time between lightning and thunder, and the delay between sight and sound of fireworks.
    • That acceleration*momentum=power, was kind of like that too. Less directly applicable (nonetheless still applicable), and extremely general. I had already a common sense notion of the components involved, but the relationship seemed profound when I derived it as a kid.

But this sort of thing just doesn't seem to come around much these days.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Clarity

Buy it. Read it.

MBTI
    entp

self-realization

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Clarity

Buy it. Read it.
    Are you sure this won't land in the "may be true" category. Proofs in philosophy about the existence of God have a track record that is not particularly good.

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    self-realization
    What about it?

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    As a kid, it seemed like I could learn new stuff like that...
    • Using the speed of sound plus delay to measure the distance of things (a jet, a storm, fireworks whatever you could both see and hear). When I learned this as a kid, I would go to hill tops to see and hear vehicles whizzing by, and to this day, I have a habit of counting the time between lightning and thunder, and the delay between sight and sound of fireworks.
    • That acceleration*momentum=power, was kind of like that too. Less directly applicable (nonetheless still applicable), and extremely general. I had already a common sense notion of the components involved, but the relationship seemed profound when I derived it as a kid.

But this sort of thing just doesn't seem to come around much these days.
    See, those two examples to me (well, I did the lighting/thunder thing too, but otherwise) sound relatively inapplicable to me- but that's because I haven't really applied it! I think there are tons of things you already know that you could still see in new and exciting ("profound") ways... it just hasn't happened yet.

MBTI
    entp

What about it?
    its deep, all you gotta do is dive in

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You could try with me to calculate an injector that injects a fluid into the exhaust fluid of an industrial process. The exhaust will be below the temperature to be used to propell a turbine with it, therefore the injector shall propell the medium that way it gains pressure. Behind the turbine the injected fluid must be divorced from the exhaust again and come again into circulation.

We basically need to concern with the enthalpy of the fluid and need to find a fluid for the injector that is useable with a wide different enthalpie range.

If we manage to build that prototype, I got some connections to the car industry, aswell as the industrial sector. We can be rich men and then we buy a labroatory in Florentine and concern with projects all day long
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP

Are you sure this won't land in the "may be true" category. Proofs in philosophy about the existence of God have a track record that is not particularly good.
    Exactly! And this book is about why proofs in philosophy about the existence of God have such a poor track record. It doesn't provide a proof, although it does suggest how one would go about proving the existence of God, if such a proof were possible.

you wrote:

However, I hunger for something profound. Something so broadly applicable that it penetrates all of life, and presented as so clearly true, that it is not simply held as "may be true."
    And that's what makes this book profound: it's all about whether anything is so clearly true. If would be profound if anything were, and this book is about the search for clarity and the ethical implications of clarity--or the lack thereof.

What does it mean for something to be clear? How can we know if anything is clear? What are the consequences if something is clear? What are the consequences if nothing is clear?

Christianity and proofs for the existence of God feature prominently in this book because the principle of clarity is required to make sense of redemptive claims of Christianity, and many of the best critiques of clarity have arisen in the the context of discussion concerning natural religion. And it is these critiques, the challenges raised against the possibility of the clarity of the existence of God, (or any metaphysical absolute for that matter), that demand a response in order to show if anything is clear, that determines the range of meaningful responses to these challenges, and so provide the mind with a guide to those concepts that must be in place if anything is going to be said to be clear.

This book is all about what you need to know before you can even recognize whether something is profound.

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    See, those two examples to me (well, I did the lighting/thunder thing too, but otherwise) sound relatively inapplicable to me- but that's because I haven't really applied it! I think there are tons of things you already know that you could still see in new and exciting ("profound") ways... it just hasn't happened yet.
    I have already have a habbit of looking at things in different ways. The types of things that would have seemed profound to me as a kid, so far, now just seems hum-drum to me. Because I've already kind of thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    its deep, all you gotta do is dive in
    I dove into self-actualization ages ago. There may be deep parts, but I haven't run into them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    You could try with me to calculate an injector that injects a fluid into the exhaust fluid of an industrial process. The exhaust will be below the temperature to be used to propell a turbine with it, therefore the injector shall propell the medium that way it gains pressure. Behind the turbine the injected fluid must be divorced from the exhaust again and come again into circulation.

We basically need to concern with the enthalpy of the fluid and need to find a fluid for the injector that is useable with a wide different enthalpie range.

If we manage to build that prototype, I got some connections to the car industry, aswell as the industrial sector. We can be rich men and then we buy a labroatory in Florentine and concern with projects all day long
    This does sound fun. I'll admit. If you're serious, PM me the details. What enthalpies, what pressures, what temperatures, what sort of delivery system, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Exactly! And this book is about why proofs in philosophy about the existence of God have such a poor track record. It doesn't provide a proof, although it does suggest how one would go about proving the existence of God, if such a proof were possible.

you wrote:

And that's what makes this book profound: it's all about whether anything is so clearly true. If would be profound if anything were, and this book is about the search for clarity and the ethical implications of clarity--or the lack thereof.

What does it mean for something to be clear? How can we know if anything is clear? What are the consequences if something is clear? What are the consequences if nothing is clear?

Christianity and proofs for the existence of God feature prominently in this book because the principle of clarity is required to make sense of redemptive claims of Christianity, and many of the best critiques of clarity have arisen in the the context of discussion concerning natural religion. And it is these critiques, the challenges raised against the possibility of the clarity of the existence of God, (or any metaphysical absolute for that matter), that demand a response in order to show if anything is clear, that determines the range of meaningful responses to these challenges, and so provide the mind with a guide to those concepts that must be in place if anything is going to be said to be clear.

This book is all about what you need to know before you can even recognize whether something is profound.
    Interesting, I'll take a look. I have thought that there may be no profound truths left for me. But that in itself is in the "may be true category."

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

wasn't that socrates' line?(I know so little) he was supposedly intp too, if I remember correctly. If you want to learn more, you should take einstien's (another intp I believe) advise on the most efficient way to research.