• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] I want to learn something deep or profound

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
hey man there is a big suppression of new ideas/perspectives going on in the science world right now, people who bring up I.D. (Intelligent Design) are "punished" often fired from their job and blacklisted. Alot of people are jailed for inventing certain things.. A man who was developing a theory on anti gravity with gyroscopes got silenced by the public media, he later recreated his lecture in private. People die too, Stanley Meyers got poisoned...

Our technology level at this point is what should have already been developed in the 1980's or 90's.

ygolo

My termites win
On a certain level I share your concern. But even if social science lack the clinical reproducibility of the hard sciences, it gives people who study that sort of thing a useful way to talk to one another. No more and no less. Humanity has to interact in predictable ways for predictable reasons in order for society to function period. If you take soft sciences to just be a theory of patterns you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I can see how having a common language can help. But sometimes, some people use it as if the results were like in the hard sciences. That, I think, is dangerous.

I will trust physics by standing on the end of a swing of pendulum with no external forces on it.

I will not trust IQ tests and the Big Five personality trait of conscientiousness for hiring my employees/coworkers.... even though, they have verified correlations. I may use them as weeders, if the number of applicants are too much to handle, but that is about it.

hey man there is a big suppression of new ideas/perspectives going on in the science world right now, people who bring up I.D. (Intelligent Design) are "punished" often fired from their job and blacklisted. Alot of people are jailed for inventing certain things.. A man who was developing a theory on anti gravity with gyroscopes got silenced by the public media, he later recreated his lecture in private. People die too, Stanley Meyers got poisoned...

Our technology level at this point is what should have already been developed in the 1980's or 90's.

I don't know if there is. I think science has always been a messy business, where outlying theories have been "suppressed" as you say. I don't believe it to be a new phenomenon.

Not to derail my own thread though. I think different people will have different thing they find deep and profound. I have believed this for a long time. However, I am looking to have more of those "Aha! moments." They are rare if not non-existent lately.

I have "Ah, I see my mistake" moments.
I have "Oh, I see" moments.
I even have "OK. Now I understand" moments.
and "I didn't know that" moments.

But nothing that seems profound. Just more fodder for my information sucking brain.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Here you go, OP

normal_lsd1.jpg

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I can see how having a common language can help. But sometimes, some people use it as if the results were like in the hard sciences. That, I think, is dangerous.

I will trust physics by standing on the end of a swing of pendulum with no external forces on it.

I will not trust IQ tests and the Big Five personality trait of conscientiousness for hiring my employees/coworkers.... even though, they have verified correlations. I may use them as weeders, if the number of applicants are too much to handle, but that is about it.

I don't know if there is. I think science has always been a messy business, where outlying theories have been "suppressed" as you say. I don't believe it to be a new phenomenon.

Not to derail my own thread though. I think different people will have different thing they find deep and profound. I have believed this for a long time. However, I am looking to have more of those "Aha! moments." They are rare if not non-existent lately.

But nothing that seems profound. Just more fodder for my information sucking brain.

I can relate to that, because the in between those "experiences" it seems rather boring because those "experiences" can seem so beautiful/awe inspiring, and these gaps can last years at a time! But personally I'm having one of those moments myself right now, and I'm on the verge of destroying my dream, and turning it into reality.

oh and it isn't that new, but it's not that old either, in Einstien's day and age, these ideas would not have been met with as much resistance. The older citizens of the scientific community tell their stories of how the science world has changed, it always boils down to money though.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
The Golden Ratio, or Sound frequencies forming matter, are probably good subjects to get your brain thinking about deep and profound things that relate to the entire universe. If you already know about these then....

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Here I think we're in definite agreement.

Hmm. Just to take one last stab at it, I'd like to recommend the movie Waking Life. Some people find it to be kind of pretentious, but some of the insights in that film are so elegant that they brought tears to my eyes first time I saw it.

ygolo

My termites win
The Golden Ratio, or Sound frequencies forming matter, are probably good subjects to get your brain thinking about deep and profound things that relate to the entire universe. If you already know about these then....

I did know of these theories. I don't think much of them to tell you the truth. But thatnks for the input.

Hmm. Just to take one last stab at it, I'd like to recommend the movie Waking Life. Some people find it to be kind of pretentious, but some of the insights in that film are so elegant that they brought tears to my eyes first time I saw it.

Another movie on my "to see" list. Thanks.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I did know of these theories. I don't think much of them to tell you the truth. But thatnks for the input.

Another movie on my "to see" list. Thanks.

They're not theories.

ygolo

My termites win
They're not theories.

What are they then?

I think you can find all sorts of ratio's in nature. Finding the Golden Ratio doesn't too surprising.

Also, is there proof of the sound frequency thing?

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
What are they then?

I think you can find all sorts of ratio's in nature. Finding the Golden Ratio doesn't too surprising.

Also, is there proof of the sound frequency thing?

there is plenty of proof, if you just look. The simple fact that we can shatter glass with our voices by matching it's resonant frequency is almost proof enough. But here is a simple demonstration.

YouTube - Shapeshifting from Vibration and Frequency - Send out Love♥

from low to higher and higher frequency, watch how it shapes the matter.

Web Page explaining the facts.
Resonance - Concept, How it works, Vibration of molecules, Oscillation, Cycles and frequency, Amplitude and energy, Oscillation in wave motion

ygolo

My termites win
there is plenty of proof, if you just look. The simple fact that we can shatter glass with our voices by matching it's resonant frequency is almost proof enough. But here is a simple demonstration.

YouTube - Shapeshifting from Vibration and Frequency - Send out Love♥

from low to higher and higher frequency, watch how it shapes the matter.

Web Page explaining the facts.
Resonance - Concept, How it works, Vibration of molecules, Oscillation, Cycles and frequency, Amplitude and energy, Oscillation in wave motion

Ah, OK. "Shaping" I interpreted "forming" to mean "creating."

Yes. I am quite aware of resonance. I use it in RF circuits.

Also, that video is cool.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
However, I hunger for something profound. Something so broadly applicable that it penetrates all of life, and presented as so clearly true, that it is not simply held as "may be true."

Become an existentialist like me, lol. Seeing as it's existentialism, it penetrates all of life, and seeing as it's philosophy that one can take up and not a theory, it doesn't really matter if it's true or not, lulz.

ygolo

My termites win
Become an existentialist like me, lol. Seeing as it's existentialism, it penetrates all of life, and seeing as it's philosophy that one can take up and not a theory, it doesn't really matter if it's true or not, lulz.

Existentialism is most definitely in the "may be true" category.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Ah, OK. "Shaping" I interpreted "forming" to mean "creating."

Yes. I am quite aware of resonance. I use it in RF circuits.

Also, that video is cool.

Creation is a few steps further, but in the story of creation First there was the WORD (SOUND).

ygolo

My termites win
Creation is a few steps further, but in the story of creation First there was the WORD (SOUND).

I beleive in the Greek it was LOGOS, meaning both TRUTH and FORM. I have never found plays on words very deep, though they do make creative connections.

your thinking of creationism

All philosophies are in the "may be true" category for me.

Creationism, is in the "very probably not true" sub-category for me.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I beleive in the Greek it was LOGOS, meaning both TRUTH and FORM. I have never found plays on words very deep, though they do make creative connections.

yeah well your in the "very annoying person" sub-category for me

Jeximo

MBTI Type
INTP

Hmm. I would agree to an extent on this. I would probably agree that in my own personal opinion, creationism is not true. However; on a logical level (and the only one that actually counts), I know it is impossible for me to 100% know and therefore leave room for the unknown.

yeah well your in the "very annoying person" sub-category for me

Ohh, a very clear example of ad hominem. Thank you for your useless, yet entertaining, input.

I use "deep" and "profound" for lack of better words.

I know I know very little of what there is to know. The more I learn, the more true I know the last statement to be.

However, I hunger for something profound. Something so broadly applicable that it penetrates all of life, and presented as so clearly true, that it is not simply held as "may be true."

Tautologies are general, and context free, but lack the power of application. But they are the closest to profound truth that I have found.

Everything to me now just seems like another things that "may be true" or are "simple facets" of thing that I believe are "likely true" along with tautologies.

I would like toe learn "likely true" things that are broadly and generally applicable.

As a kid, it seemed like I could learn new stuff like that...
  • Using the speed of sound plus delay to measure the distance of things (a jet, a storm, fireworks whatever you could both see and hear). When I learned this as a kid, I would go to hill tops to see and hear vehicles whizzing by, and to this day, I have a habit of counting the time between lightning and thunder, and the delay between sight and sound of fireworks.
  • That acceleration*momentum=power, was kind of like that too. Less directly applicable (nonetheless still applicable), and extremely general. I had already a common sense notion of the components involved, but the relationship seemed profound when I derived it as a kid.

But this sort of thing just doesn't seem to come around much these days.

On a more serious note.. it seems to me that you are consistently looking for external resources to satisfy your needs/wants and desires. Everything you need is within yourself. Seemingly, from my perspective, nothing you gather through researching or anything anyone here has to say will give you the desired understanding you seek. It seems to me that the iNtuitive function (ability to grasp seemingly unrelated things, making connections where as none were before, and ability to read the subconscious) in conjunction with the Thinking function (ability to logically deduct and make conclusions of your intuitive analysis) is in contrast with your perceiving function (Constant openness to nearly everything, nothing is ever, set-in-stone, or concrete). Intuitively a thought comes along, you deduct that thought and find rational reasoning to act upon the thought. Perceiving will take over practically forcing your mind to attempt an objective perception where the intuitive function will now act upon the perceived thoughts (grasping reasoning in unrelated areas) and thinking will continue (potentially disproving your first intuition) and moving to perceiving once again. The cycle continues and in the ends with you feeling as if nothing has changed except your thoughts on any given topic, subject, etc..

Now as I let my perceiving function take over, I say: But hey, that's just my perception.. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Truth exists, but it is not real.

I often enjoy breaking apart paradox. Once I obtained enlightenment for a few moments after I fully grasped the paradox between the Taoist belief of emptiness and fullness, but then I lost it.

ygolo

My termites win
On a more serious note.. it seems to me that you are consistently looking for external resources to satisfy your needs/wants and desires. Everything you need is within yourself. Seemingly, from my perspective, nothing you gather through researching or anything anyone here has to say will give you the desired understanding you seek. It seems to me that the iNtuitive function (ability to grasp seemingly unrelated things, making connections where as none were before, and ability to read the subconscious) in conjunction with the Thinking function (ability to logically deduct and make conclusions of your intuitive analysis) is in contrast with your perceiving function (Constant openness to nearly everything, nothing is ever, set-in-stone, or concrete). Intuitively a thought comes along, you deduct that thought and find rational reasoning to act upon the thought. Perceiving will take over practically forcing your mind to attempt an objective perception where the intuitive function will now act upon the perceived thoughts (grasping reasoning in unrelated areas) and thinking will continue (potentially disproving your first intuition) and moving to perceiving once again. The cycle continues and in the ends with you feeling as if nothing has changed except your thoughts on any given topic, subject, etc..

Now as I let my perceiving function take over, I say: But hey, that's just my perception.. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

You are pretty much accurate on this description. I find myself saying that last comment quite often.

Truth exists, but it is not real.

In your terms, what is the diference between existence and reality?

To me truth is real, but its thorough perception does not exist.