User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    wasn't that socrates' line?(I know so little) he was supposedly intp too, if I remember correctly.
    I can see him as an INTP.

If you want to learn more, you should take einstien's (another intp I believe) advise on the most efficient way to research.
    What was his advice?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Hi there!

I have a couple things that I would recommend:

1) A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bryson
    2) A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, Dillard
    3) The Moral Animal, Wright; The Language Instinct, Pinker
    4) Understanding Power, Chomsky
    5) Politics among Nations, Morganthau
    6) The Prince- Machiavelli
    7) Documentary, "Dangerous Knowledge" dangerous knowledge - Google Videos

The first six items, for me at least, were fundamental in some way to my understanding of the world. The last one is about how people go crazy from trying unravel certain questions in the philosophies, mathmatics, sciences, ect. All a good time though.

^Interesting. The books you mentioned are all social studies books. That is an area I know little about. I'll take those book recommendations into consideration.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Allow me to put on my Zen Guru mask.

:Rustle:

ygolo, it is not about depth or profoundity of the subject. All subjects are just as deep and profoud as the rest. However, it is not the depth of the pool you swim in that matters at all. It matters how deep you wish to swim and dive. You choose to see something as deep and profound. It is not set or constant.

That satisfy you?
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I can see him as an INTP.

What was his advice?
    I thought you would be curious enough to look on your own, but his famous quote goes, "Play is the highest form of research"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Hi there!

I have a couple things that I would recommend:

1) A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bryson
    2) A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, Dillard
    3) The Moral Animal, Wright; The Language Instinct, Pinker
    4) Understanding Power, Chomsky
    5) Politics among Nations, Morganthau
    6) The Prince- Machiavelli
    7) Documentary, "Dangerous Knowledge" dangerous knowledge - Google Videos

The first six items, for me at least, were fundamental in some way to my understanding of the world. The last one is about how people go crazy from trying unravel certain questions in the philosophies, mathmatics, sciences, ect. All a good time though.
    10 points. winnar. (though tbh I've never seen the video nor read Morganthau, but the others are great, and also fundamental to my worldview!)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

^Interesting. The books you mentioned are all social studies books. That is an area I know little about. I'll take those book recommendations into consideration.
    Not fair! The first one is about science history.

But honestly though, I'm absolutely fascinated by people. So while the things you mentioned in the original post are interesting to me as well I'm more intrigued by the mechanisms that make the guy on the bus next to me tick. My love for the social sciences drives my INTJ mother up the wall though: its too "fluffy" for her hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    10 points. winnar. (though tbh I've never seen the video nor read Morganthau, but the others are great, and also fundamental to my worldview!)
    Yay for great minds and all that! You should definitely consider picking up Morganthau, though. He's another major realist IR theorist. More analytic in his approach, and a lot of his work especially concerning hegemony and balance of power essentially set the tone of discourse for political science in the 20th century. It's catnip for anyone who liked Machiavelli, Hobbs, or has a secret hard-on for Kissinger.

I thought you would be curious enough to look on your own, but his famous quote goes, "Play is the highest form of research"
    I googled for it for a little while (very litte), but turned up empty. Though I believe what Einstein said too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    its too "fluffy" for her hehe.
    That's my issue with the social sciences, too. I just don't think we can put as much confidence in them as the physical and life sciences.

Robot Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Gewitter27 View Post
    Allow me to put on my Zen Guru mask.

ygolo, it is not about depth or profoundity of the subject. All subjects are just as deep and profoud as the rest. However, it is not the depth of the pool you swim in that matters at all. It matters how deep you wish to swim and dive. You choose to see something as deep and profound. It is not set or constant.

That satisfy you?
    I know there is always more information and more investigation you can do, But the new information found is not necessarily deep or profound. Bot all knowledge is created equal.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

That's my issue with the social sciences, too. I just don't think we can put as much confidence in them as the physical and life sciences.
    On a certain level I share your concern. But even if social science lack the clinical reproducibility of the hard sciences, it gives people who study that sort of thing a useful way to talk to one another. No more and no less. Humanity has to interact in predictable ways for predictable reasons in order for society to function period. If you take soft sciences to just be a theory of patterns you shouldn't have a problem with it.