User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Although it can be irritating at times to deal with, especially since I'm far more "jack of all trades" like in nature; I do actually appreciate the great focus INTJs have and their abilities to get it done.
    I want my tunnel vision/focus back, I've been procrastinating too much these past couple of years. And then I also loathe my tunnel vision.

MBTI
    entp

isnt that the definition of Ni?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    isnt that the definition of Ni?
    Yeah but this is an issue related to secondary Te as well. See Ni/Fe and Ni/Te can be quite different in nature actually.

MBTI
    nnnn

Ni is many perspectives to me, not tunnel-vision. I think that's what happens when Te is "added" to it.

MBTI
    entp

interesting

i thought that Ni was the tunnel and Te were the rest-stops where you could stop and call your broker to tell him to sell your stocks

Provoker, it did occur to me that you will end up isolating yourself somewhat from others as you take the Ni dive into your work. Just a suggestion-but perhaps as part of your schedule, set up a standing lunch with a close friend. It's not as though my INTJs don't need humanity. It is more like they forget it is there in the Ni tunnel. However when they come up for air sometimes then seem lonely, sort of suprised that no one is there with them.

So maybe build a bit of humanity into the tunnel? If Te complains justify it as a way to enhance productivity and further make sure that Ni gets it's ideas built in a more productive manner.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I think so..at least all the INTJs I know tend to be very focused.

At their best, they're spectacular at abstract problem solving, and are exactly the person you want on the job if you have a pressing problem.

The worst examples are when they get very frustrated and demanding when others don't share their focus on whatever feels important to them at the moment. (If you want to see an immature tunnel visionary throw a spectacular tantrum, simply look at them calmly and say, "I. don't. care. It's simply not that important to me." )

Then, I'm not sure it's just a "T" thing. :ponder: As an NFJ, I can get easily stuck on a point until I feel everyone else sees what I'm saying and understands me fully. The difference, I think, is the sort of things the two types get hung up on.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been around a lot of INTJ's. I'll bet some of the places I've been were 50% or more INTJ's, I'd easily buy 75%.

IME, and quite possibly I've really only been around a certain type subset of INTJ's, this "profound focus" is very exclusionary to social/human factors. Trying to see both the good and bad of this, ummm, if you need to focus on some technical topic you all are very good at that, no one is going to argue against that. INTJ's are like a perfect match for scientists. But at some point, you'll need to deal with other people [share your discoveries, ask for research funding, going grocery shopping, etc], and here I would say this "profound focus" is actively hurting you. Attitudes like "The thoughts in my head are more important than listening to you" will not endear you all to others, and even if that is not what it feels like to you, it very well may feel that way to others. "I know I'm right, I know your wrong", "Why are you all so inefficient", etc. I don;t know if those tie directly into "profound focus", but I think they might. In short, I think your all's "profound focus" is rather exclusionary in nature, and that will have social repercussions when dealing with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I'll keep this post brief and forthright.

Every dominant function has a "downside." The severity of this downside varies depending on how much the subject uses their dominant function as opposed to their other functions, especially their auxiliary function. In the case of Ni (the dominant function of INTJs and INFJs), this downside is metaphorically speaking, tunnel vision.

The most commonly prescribed remedy to this ailment is to use the auxilliary function (Te) as much as possible to balance out the powerful Ni. The easiest way to do this is to allow as much input as possible before making judgments.
    Bingo.

I am both complimented and accused of the very same "focus/tunnel vision." This is INxJ territory.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

My INTJ friend fixates on something (a book series, a TV show, a musical, whatever), follows it obsessively and learns everything there is to know about it, then is... just done. She says that when one of her obsessions has passed, she can't even stand whatever it was she was initially so fixated on.

I do the same thing to a lesser extent, and we definitely bond over that, but I don't have the intense aversion when I've moved on to the next thing. I just let it fall into the background until something recalls it later, then I remember it fondly and might even become re-interested. Is it common for INTJs to completely close the book on something, or is that just a quirk of hers?