User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Thread: Holiday Apathy

MBTI
    intj

Aaah Silly Symphony, I haven't seen that in years.

I've never been a huge fan of holidays, though they're fine in theory. I'm not into the obligatory gift giving and receiving. Or the religion. And my family always fights, so it gets stressful. Though now that I live away from them, maybe I can have my own quiet celebrations without the fuss and excessive decorations.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I've stopped bothering to celebrate as I have no one to do it with. It sucks being alone in that, but it is an improvement from the rat race I dealt with growing up.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I've stopped bothering to celebrate as I have no one to do it with. It sucks being alone in that, but it is an improvement from the rat race I dealt with growing up.
    Yeah - I'm sort of the same way. I do occasionally go over to friends' places for dinner, but I view that as more of a "dinner with friends" deal than a "holiday" deal. Looking up through the thread, it looks like in many cases the people who like holidays have had good experiences with them, and those who don't haven't (big surprise, that ). I'd rather just have my "good times with family" at other times of the year, without the extra baggage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Which makes Yule and Saturnalia WAY more interesting than a traditional Christmas.
    What could possibly be more interesting than the birth of our zombie Jew lord to a virgin in a barn attended by angels to witness the advent of his arrival to save our sinful souls from the eternal fires of torment in a cataclysmic battle with Satan who was once God's favorite angel?

Sounds pretty interesting to me. Yule and Saturnalia are for hippies with seventies bush.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh yeah, I forgot to add.

PRAISE HIM!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    what is hogsmany?
    News years eve in scotland. Theirs always have fire works at Edinburgh in the castle which go on for 15-30 minutes and being high up can be sen for miles around. Then most of edinburgh parties though the night. And most other places have loads of house parties. Basically we scots use it as an excuse to get extremely drunk and have big parties!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    intj

Well when you put it that way.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    (Regarding the above post: for what reasons to heterosexual adult males like Halloween?)
    Well lots of girls dressed up as witches and devils?
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    What could possibly be more interesting than the birth of our zombie Jew lord to a virgin in a barn attended by angels to witness the advent of his arrival to save our sinful souls from the eternal fires of torment in a cataclysmic battle with Satan who was once God's favorite angel?

Sounds pretty interesting to me. Yule and Saturnalia are for hippies with seventies bush.
    Slaves beating their masters and massive orgies are much more interesting than an adaptation of the Roman soldiers' military cult within the context of some obscure Levantine tribal religion. Come on, the whole zombie god thing had been done since 3500 BC with the Egyptians and Horus - not to mention the fallen demi-god thing (both Egyptian, via Set, and Persian, via Ahriman).

Now that I think about it, religion hasn't really had an original idea in... well... ever.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I hate holidays. just one more thing to fucking remember...
    The E's in the family do all the remembering, and planning, for me.

I actually like spending time with my sisters and spoiling my nieces and nephews, so I tend to enjoy holidays. If by myself, then the only holiday's I really care about are the Fourth of July (for patriotic reasons) and Halloween (I just love the theme).