• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Holiday Apathy

ghoti

MBTI Type
intj
Aaah Silly Symphony, I haven't seen that in years.

I've never been a huge fan of holidays, though they're fine in theory. I'm not into the obligatory gift giving and receiving. Or the religion. And my family always fights, so it gets stressful. Though now that I live away from them, maybe I can have my own quiet celebrations without the fuss and excessive decorations.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've stopped bothering to celebrate as I have no one to do it with. It sucks being alone in that, but it is an improvement from the rat race I dealt with growing up.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I've stopped bothering to celebrate as I have no one to do it with. It sucks being alone in that, but it is an improvement from the rat race I dealt with growing up.

Yeah - I'm sort of the same way. I do occasionally go over to friends' places for dinner, but I view that as more of a "dinner with friends" deal than a "holiday" deal. Looking up through the thread, it looks like in many cases the people who like holidays have had good experiences with them, and those who don't haven't (big surprise, that :rolleyes:). I'd rather just have my "good times with family" at other times of the year, without the extra baggage.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Which makes Yule and Saturnalia WAY more interesting than a traditional Christmas.

What could possibly be more interesting than the birth of our zombie Jew lord to a virgin in a barn attended by angels to witness the advent of his arrival to save our sinful souls from the eternal fires of torment in a cataclysmic battle with Satan who was once God's favorite angel?

Sounds pretty interesting to me. Yule and Saturnalia are for hippies with seventies bush.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
what is hogsmany?

News years eve in scotland. Theirs always have fire works at Edinburgh in the castle which go on for 15-30 minutes and being high up can be sen for miles around. Then most of edinburgh parties though the night. And most other places have loads of house parties. Basically we scots use it as an excuse to get extremely drunk and have big parties!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
What could possibly be more interesting than the birth of our zombie Jew lord to a virgin in a barn attended by angels to witness the advent of his arrival to save our sinful souls from the eternal fires of torment in a cataclysmic battle with Satan who was once God's favorite angel?

Sounds pretty interesting to me. Yule and Saturnalia are for hippies with seventies bush.

Slaves beating their masters and massive orgies are much more interesting than an adaptation of the Roman soldiers' military cult within the context of some obscure Levantine tribal religion. Come on, the whole zombie god thing had been done since 3500 BC with the Egyptians and Horus - not to mention the fallen demi-god thing (both Egyptian, via Set, and Persian, via Ahriman).

Now that I think about it, religion hasn't really had an original idea in... well... ever.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I hate holidays. just one more thing to fucking remember...

The E's in the family do all the remembering, and planning, for me. :D

I actually like spending time with my sisters and spoiling my nieces and nephews, so I tend to enjoy holidays. If by myself, then the only holiday's I really care about are the Fourth of July (for patriotic reasons) and Halloween (I just love the theme).

LucrativeSid

I don't "hate" holidays, but I certainly don't get excited about them. They just come and go and I barely take notice. If I have kids, I don't know how much fake enthusiasm I'll be able to muster. I like being creative, so I could probably have fun carving pumpkins at least.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
The one thing I like about holidays is the intangible atmosphere they have. Occasionally I've strolled down a San Francisco street in the middle of the night, and thought to myself, hey, it feels like Halloween. You don't have the snap and the smell of decay, but it's there, in the wind.

There's a certain delicious melancholy to both Halloween and Christmas. Edgier in the one case; more wistful in the other. Halloween, I associate with candle-shadows on the walls and a startling clarity to the air, so it feels like you can hear a foot on leaves three miles away. It feels morose, yet the senses are heightened. Perfect time for chocolate, and questioning life. Christmas, it's more being swaddled indoors while the world is white and desolate out. Trinkets sparkle in the low light. Not-really-ancient, sappy songs play, and you get an ultimate sense of winter -- smothering warmth against the biting cold.

In both cases, one is reminded of a magic and a time one never knew. The only problem is when people get in the way.

In Northern California, you don't really get the seasons, so none of this means as much.