User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 92

Thread: Holiday Apathy

  1. #61
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't understand why people keep saying that they hate the holidays because of commercialism and hype. Two reasons:

    1. I suspect many of these people would hate them for the real meaning, if that were the dominant way to celebrate.

    2. Why should the way anyone else chooses to observe a day affect the way you do it? It's like hating a cereal you'd otherwise find delicious because most people use it as a packing material instead of eating it. Does that make you enjoy eating it any less?
    Fi = commercialism violates the standards of truth that I have set up as the meaning of a holiday (community, family and warmth).

    Fe = commercialism damages the bonds of tradition and deep obligation that keep people together, replacing them with the more shallow obligatory bonds of thoughtless gift giving

    Si = commercialism is highly untraditional, a new development that just isn't right

    Ni = commercialism is utterly meaningless

    Whereas:

    Se = Cool, look at the newest stuff they're selling! Gotta get it before it's gone!

    Ne = Heh, there's a ton of money to be made off of that idiot, even if it is somewhat wrong...

    Te = Well, this will be a good opportunity to finally get some of those things I've needed, but haven't had the time to go out and buy, not to mention help my friends and family get some order in their life.

    Ti = Commercialism in holidays is the confluence of many factors, such as the post-war economic prosperity combined with the development of advertising in the 1950s and 1960s (goes on for 10 pages)...

  2. #62
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I used to love holidays! An excuse to be happy for no reason. Especially Christmas. Something about it was just so... magical (not just the presents hehe). But somehow... things just aren't the same any more. It makes me feel awful that it doesn't have that magical feeling anymore. It's just another day. D: I think most everyone feels this way when they get older.
    I have felt the magic go away from holidays, but this does not make me feel awful at all. I am glad to be able to see things with a more objective view than ever before. The excuse to be happy hasn't gone away, and that is precisely how I view the significance of holidays, and I can't understand how any excuse to be happy could be a bad thing. Where's all this pessimism coming from? Holidays are like a big party

  3. #63
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I have felt the magic go away from holidays, but this does not make me feel awful at all. I am glad to be able to see things with a more objective view than ever before. The excuse to be happy hasn't gone away, and that is precisely how I view the significance of holidays, and I can't understand how any excuse to be happy could be a bad thing. Where's all this pessimism coming from? Holidays are like a big party
    That's how I try to view holidays now. Partaay!

  4. #64
    Is Willard in Footloose!! CJ99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    582

    Default

    I've never really gotten holidays. Always seemed a bit wasteful.

    Christmas was cool cause I got pressies. But now I'm about to start a full time job and since i'm still living at home () with 4 little sisters I think my ESJ parents will expect me to get everyone pressies. Also someone always argues. Normally me and my Dad when he suggests I go to mass and then when i refuse thrys to prove its good to me at which point I spent an enjoyable morning telling him why religions wrong.

    Haloween was never really embraced in my house. Neither were any holidays really. At birthdays my mum makes a birthday dinner of whatever the birthday person wants.

    News Years is quite a big deal in Scotland, Edinburgh being the hogsmany capital of the world or something like that. But my parents never made any deal out of it as there not the partying types. This year I had an empty for New Years though! So got pissed with rock band!!!1

    Yeah apart from New Years they all seem pointless to me.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

    "Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

    "Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

  5. #65
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    what is hogsmany?

  6. #66
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    I've never really gotten holidays. Always seemed a bit wasteful.

    Christmas was cool cause I got pressies. But now I'm about to start a full time job and since i'm still living at home () with 4 little sisters I think my ESJ parents will expect me to get everyone pressies. Also someone always argues. Normally me and my Dad when he suggests I go to mass and then when i refuse thrys to prove its good to me at which point I spent an enjoyable morning telling him why religions wrong.

    Haloween was never really embraced in my house. Neither were any holidays really. At birthdays my mum makes a birthday dinner of whatever the birthday person wants.

    News Years is quite a big deal in Scotland, Edinburgh being the hogsmany capital of the world or something like that. But my parents never made any deal out of it as there not the partying types. This year I had an empty for New Years though! So got pissed with rock band!!!1

    Yeah apart from New Years they all seem pointless to me.
    What, no love for Bonfire Night? What's greater than to commemorate something not blowing up, going ahead and blowing a whole lot of stuff up? I'm American and I still think that's the greatest thing ever - though not so down on the whole anti-Catholic undertone. Best yet, it's in the rainy fall/autumn, unlike our Fourth of July, where half the time there's a burn ban for lack of rain in this part of the country.

    AFAIAC-

    - New Years - good excuse to get really drunk, find a hook-up (if not too drunk)
    - MLK Day - nice day off, good opportunity to reflect on the lives and struggles of others
    - Super Bowl Sunday (it is a holiday) - a lot of fun. Often the only holiday where people really let loose and enjoy themselves
    - Valentine's - pointless, but it makes others happy. That's good enough for me.
    - Presidents' Day - nice day off
    - Mardi Gras - love it, but I love New Orleans, as well. Cajun and creole food are amazing
    - St. Patrick's - too much fun. Love the irony of celebrating an "Irish" holiday with distinctly Eastern European Jewish food (corned beef). Green beer is hilarious.
    - Easter - Not that big of a deal. I'm not religious, and our family is too dispersed to do anything big
    - My birthday (late April) - Nice, but less significant as I don't receive many presents anymore. Appreciate people's thoughts.
    - Mother's Day - Often have to be reminded, but it's nice to make your mom happy once in a while, even if she constantly pisses you off
    - Memorial Day - Not a huge fan of this one. I like the day off, but do not like the nationalism, militarism, and quasi-death cult vibe that some memorials have.
    - Father's Day - Much easier to buy a gift for this one
    - July 4th - Fireworks and barbecue, plus oppressive heat. What else could you ask for? Still do not like the creeping militarism - they did that a month ago, you know
    - Labor Day - A nice day off. Complete ignorance of the point of celebrating laborers irritates me.
    - Columbus Day - the annual debates are fascinating. Opportunity for reflection over the country's history
    - Veteran's Day - like it better than Memorial Day, given the lessons of World War I. I respect those who served, and mourn those caught in the senseless cycle of war
    - Halloween - I like it for the same reason any heterosexual male over the age of 15 likes it
    - Thanksgiving - Football is the highlight. Everything else is generally terrible. Not my style of food, family members are difficult to converse with, completely obligatory
    - Christmas - Secular Christmas is fun, mostly because I enjoy how much others get into it. Religious Christmas is not for me.

  7. #67
    videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?
    Posts
    867

    Default

    I do like the spirit of anarchy, and the darkness, to Halloween. Though it's become as commercialized as anything, and parental paranoia is keeping kids off the streets these days, in principle it's got my thumbs-up.

    All of the obligation-based dates, though, oy.

    (Regarding the above post: for what reasons to heterosexual adult males like Halloween?)

  8. #68
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    We need to bring back ritual animal sacrifice. Hard to commercialize that.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  9. #69
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    I do like the spirit of anarchy, and the darkness, to Halloween. Though it's become as commercialized as anything, and parental paranoia is keeping kids off the streets these days, in principle it's got my thumbs-up.

    All of the obligation-based dates, though, oy.

    (Regarding the above post: for what reasons to heterosexual adult males like Halloween?)
    'sexy' animal/nurse/cop costumes.

  10. #70
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    I do like the spirit of anarchy, and the darkness, to Halloween. Though it's become as commercialized as anything, and parental paranoia is keeping kids off the streets these days, in principle it's got my thumbs-up.

    All of the obligation-based dates, though, oy.

    (Regarding the above post: for what reasons to heterosexual adult males like Halloween?)
    To quote many friends of mine - "It's the only day where you can dress up like a slut and not get judged for it".

    Clearly, my interest is in the greater sense of acceptance and relaxation

Similar Threads

  1. Apathy: how do you overcome it?
    By INA in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-29-2015, 07:14 PM
  2. Holiday Food
    By Randomnity in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 10:08 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Why do NFs care?/apathy
    By prplchknz in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
  4. Holiday Shopping & Other Stress
    By CzeCze in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
  5. favorite/least favorite holiday songs
    By miss fortune in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO