User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Holiday Apathy

MBTI
    ENTP

You holiday hating folks are wet blankets. Holidays, like much in life, are what you make them.

I love the holidays. It is up to every person to find something special in it and to make it special for other people. Even if just by expressing your love in a simple manner or just by making a point to spend time together without fucking off on a laptop or channel surfing.

When I think of Christmas, for example, I think of the way my parents got really excited about seeing us open presents and how hard they tried to make things special even when money was tight. How we would spin our special, cheesy Christmas records (like Willie Nelson's "Pretty Paper") on the stereo with the lights of the Christmas tree setting everything in the livingroom aglow.

My brother and I would help my Mom make hot spiced cider and we would all sit around and talk about special memories and joke around with each other while wrapping gifts for others. I also remember how nice it felt to come home when it was already dark and seeing the Winter stars twinkling above our home in the clear night sky; the roof strung with lights and glowing with warmth from the inside.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    You holiday hating folks are wet blankets. Holidays, like much in life, are what you make them.

I love the holidays. It is up to every person to find something special in it and to make it special for other people. Even if just by expressing your love in a simple manner or just by making a point to spend time together without fucking off on a laptop or channel surfing.
    It sounds like you've got a lot of good holiday memories, and I can see why that would give you an appreciation for them - but that's not always the case for everyone. In some cases, they really are a source of stress, pain, and endless frustration - when those problems generally don't occur on non-holidays. I like doing nice things for people, visiting, etc. - but I enjoy all of this much *less* on holidays. There's too much stress, forced gaiety, too many doomed-to-fail expectations, and too many no-win choices involved (spend holiday with family member A or family member B?) for me to get much enjoyment out of them. A "random" get-together is almost always more enjoyable for me (even with me being pretty antisocial ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

That sounds lovely, Syn.

Of course, not all of us had those kinds of experiences. But yours really sound nice.

For the most part, I enjoy having time set aside for family or vacations, but I don't like the pretense of it being about religion or memorials when no one seems to care about the meaning. For instance, Memorial Day means a lot to me since I have a lot of military in my family, but for others it's just an excuse to barbeque, you know what I mean? Christmas and Valentine's are the worst offenders in my book - the contrived gift giving irritates me. But, to each his own...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    It sounds like you've got a lot of good holiday memories, and I can see why that would give you an appreciation for them - but that's not always the case for everyone. In some cases, they really are a source of stress, pain, and endless frustration - when those problems generally don't occur on non-holidays. I like doing nice things for people, visiting, etc. - but I enjoy all of this much *less* on holidays. There's too much stress, forced gaiety, too many doomed-to-fail expectations, and too many no-win choices involved (spend holiday with family member A or family member B?) for me to get much enjoyment out of them. A "random" get-together is almost always more enjoyable for me (even with me being pretty antisocial ).
    Sure, but that's my point, as well. It is up to you to make it special. Maybe it can't be that way with everyone you care about, but we can make a difference even in trying to help not set expectations too high. It's more about recognizing what is important.

If nothing else, you could take someone out to dinner who doesn't have family.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    That sounds lovely, Syn.

Of course, not all of us had those kinds of experiences. But yours really sound nice.

For the most part, I enjoy having time set aside for family or vacations, but I don't like the pretense of it being about religion or memorials when no one seems to care about the meaning. For instance, Memorial Day means a lot to me since I have a lot of military in my family, but for others it's just an excuse to barbeque, you know what I mean? Christmas and Valentine's are the worst offenders in my book - the contrived gift giving irritates me. But, to each his own...
    Why should it matter how other people spend their holidays? Most other people are worthless, stupid sacks of shit.

If you care about the meaning, then it has meaning. If you don't, then it doesn't. The main problem is that we no longer, as a culture, seem to value very much. We are completely atomized and disassociated as a culture. Mass media and the loosening of family ties due to widespread movement across large distances have created a papier mache culture held together with bullshit bumper sticker truisms and empty materialism.

MBTI
    YaYa

My hate stems partly from NT-ness and partly from bad experiences growing up.

It just seems meaningless to go through the same mindless motions celebrating the same thing to which you really have no attachment to. EarthDay means more to me than Christmas.

I respect those going to church on Christmas(even though Jesus wasn't born in Dec) much more than I do everyone else casually celebrating the holiday.

Syn just likes the holidays cause it give him a chance to whip out that big fat cock of his and show off.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Syn just likes the holidays cause it give him a chance to whip out that big cock of his and show off.
    You like to talk about my penis and about sex with regard to me in general, I've noticed. I get it. You like me.

MBTI
    YaYa

You like to talk about my penis and about sex with regard to me in general, I've noticed. I get it. You like me.

You should have PMed me that.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Why should it matter how other people spend their holidays? Most other people are worthless, stupid sacks of shit.

If you care about the meaning, then it has meaning. If you don't, then it doesn't. The main problem is that we no longer, as a culture, seem to value very much. We are completely atomized and disassociated as a culture. Mass media and the loosening of family ties due to widespread movement across large distances have created a papier mache culture held together with bullshit bumper sticker truisms and empty materialism.
    What's the point of making culturally-sanctioned days special then, if this is your viewpoint? Why not make that every day?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7?

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    My hate stems partly from NT-ness and partly from bad experiences growing up.

It just seems meaningless to go through the same mindless motions celebrating the same thing to which you really have no attachment to. EarthDay means more to me than Christmas.

I respect those going to church on Christmas(even though Jesus wasn't born in Dec) much more than I do everyone else casually celebrating the holiday.
    it's not the NT-ness. I spent the fourth on my roof, watching my ghetto neighbors put off bigger fireworks than most small towns, and yelling at passers-by. and it was fantastic. and if the purpose of the day is special to me, I don't need everyone to celebrate it together and validate my beliefs. holidays are just a time to relax, an excuse to be happy together despite whatever terrible things are going on the next day.

basically, I pity people who go to church every christmas because they're sometimes bound to a tradition out of obligation when they could just be enjoying themselves with the occasional moment of reflection. the celebration itself should encourage thoughts of the cause, not require them.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

If a public holiday is more stressful than work then you're doing it wrong.

Screw traditions do what's fun for you and yours, if you enjoy what you do then any effort you put in shouldn’t feel like a chore. If spending time with your family sucks, don't.

Amen!