User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Holiday Apathy

I don't "hate" holidays, but I certainly don't get excited about them. They just come and go and I barely take notice. If I have kids, I don't know how much fake enthusiasm I'll be able to muster. I like being creative, so I could probably have fun carving pumpkins at least.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

videodrones; questions Array Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar

The one thing I like about holidays is the intangible atmosphere they have. Occasionally I've strolled down a San Francisco street in the middle of the night, and thought to myself, hey, it feels like Halloween. You don't have the snap and the smell of decay, but it's there, in the wind.

There's a certain delicious melancholy to both Halloween and Christmas. Edgier in the one case; more wistful in the other. Halloween, I associate with candle-shadows on the walls and a startling clarity to the air, so it feels like you can hear a foot on leaves three miles away. It feels morose, yet the senses are heightened. Perfect time for chocolate, and questioning life. Christmas, it's more being swaddled indoors while the world is white and desolate out. Trinkets sparkle in the low light. Not-really-ancient, sappy songs play, and you get an ultimate sense of winter -- smothering warmth against the biting cold.

In both cases, one is reminded of a magic and a time one never knew. The only problem is when people get in the way.

In Northern California, you don't really get the seasons, so none of this means as much.