• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] social no-man's land

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I realized tonight that there's a gap of time between the moment people realize how little I talk, and the moment I'm comfortable enough around them to talk.

I get stuck in the stagnant waters of no-man's land quite a lot. It's like a first impression. The damage is done.

What do you do to keep the doors open between you and others?

edit: not really a bad first impression. When people think you're quiet, they think you don't want to talk and that's not always true. That's the problem.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Well I have tried sending you visitor messages from time to time, but alas no feedback. :blush:

There was no damage, still isn't; although, I am glad that you recognize it. Not that you need to change it if you are comfortable.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Bash the doors in with a sledgehammer of strangeness (likely to fail).

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Beer. (or Xanax)

Problem solved.

First impressions can change if you don't reinforce the first impression.

Why do you find talking to people uncomfortable?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why do you find talking to people uncomfortable?

There was no damage, still isn't; although, I am glad that you recognize it. Not that you need to change it if you are comfortable.

Its not uncomfortable, just draining to get small talk going somewhere.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
that sucks. I'm the opposite...i get to know people too easily on the first
couple of meetings, but sometimes I get a little nervous when things sta-
rt to get more personal, maybe because I have had a lot of friends that s-
eemed to go as easily as they came, even though I don't really have 'trust'
issues, I've learned to be careful who you trust not to leave too much.

ENTJs aren't really introverts or loners, but sometimes we have being loners
thrust upon us. But here's a hint...I've learned to think of it as being a litt-
le bit mysterious. It helps to take a little of the social anxiety off when you
start to wonder who notices how many people you have or don't hanging aro-
und you.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But here's a hint...I've learned to think of it as being a litt-
le bit mysterious. It helps to take a little of the social anxiety off when you
start to wonder who notices how many people you have or don't hanging aro-
und you.

That's cool...

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I realized tonight that there's a gap of time between the moment people realize how little I talk, and the moment I'm comfortable enough around them to talk.

I get stuck in the stagnant waters of no-man's land quite a lot. It's like a first impression. The damage is done.

What do you do to keep the doors open between you and others?

edit: not really a bad first impression. When people think you're quiet, they think you don't want to talk and that's not always true. That's the problem.

I know what you're talking about. I have that sometimes as well. What you can do in social situations is have a couple of stories memorized so you can start talking about those. Good topics would be past holiday memories, interesting things you did etc.. If you know someone a little better you can also always just admit you've got no conversation topic at the moment. Just admitting it is taking away a lot of the discomfort on both you and your conversation partner. Nobody looks antisocial for not knowing what to say.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah I think I know what your talking about.

Like that social akwardness were your unsure because you don't really know the other person yet. I seem really quiet and shy at first until I'm more comfortable at which point i become really sociable.
Not really sure how to overcome it. I think shimmys idea about some funny/interesting stories is a good one.
I actually have a story about the same thing.
I was in a yearly show a while back. Started when I was a kid then left and came back at 15. At first I was really shy but after the first year I started to talk to the others my age and we had a sort of group. Then the second year I really came out my shell because I was comfortable by then and got a solo in the show. Then I got an award off of the producer for most improved performer because of how much more confident I was.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Its not uncomfortable, just draining to get small talk going somewhere.

Don't settle for boring small talk. There's always a way to make it interesting without going anywhere.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
exact same thing they talk about when they are not not first-meeting you and till they figure out you don't talk much

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Look for some ENFP's or any other N. Problem solved.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Look for some ENFP's or any other N. Problem solved.

Yeah, they're always great conversation partners for INTP's. One of my best friends is ENFP. It clicked immediately, the first time I met him.