• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Personality type, Brain Function, and Perception

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP - clockwise.

To get her to switch directions:

1) Look at the shadow of her foot.
2) Picture the shadow of her foot spinning in the direction you want it to.
3) Once you have that, try to get her foot spinning to match it. (It helps to cover the rest of her with your hand.)
4) Once her foot matches its shadow, look at the rest of her.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I can quickly and easily make it go both ways, but I first see it as going clockwise. I guess this makes sense because on right-left brain tests, I score near 50-50. I get it to switch by looking away from it and visualizing it going in a different direction. I look at the picture, and then bam, it's going the way I make it go. I don't think this relates at all to my type. I'm an iSxx.

*edit* I guess I don't really have to look away for her to switch either, but I notice that focusing on her arm makes her go clockwise and focusing on her legs makes her go counter-clockwise.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I couldn't even imagine how a person could perceive counter-clockwise motion until I looked at the shadow. Now I can't see clockwise anymore. Urrr...

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I can quickly and easily make it go both ways, but I first see it as going clockwise. I guess this makes sense because on right-left brain tests, I score near 50-50. I get it to switch by looking away from it and visualizing it going in a different direction. I look at the picture, and then bam, it's going the way I make it go. I don't think this relates at all to my type. I'm an iSxx.

*edit* I guess I don't really have to look away for her to switch either, but I notice that focusing on her arm makes her go clockwise and focusing on her legs makes her go counter-clockwise.

It's still interesting because of the huge differences in perception other people have. But if you are isXX then it does make sense that you can see it both ways easily. I'm more of an INTX, I don't have a strong J/P preference but I have alot of trouble seeing the counterclockwise way.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Ha.

Correlation would be funny.

I can see it going clockwise or anti-clockwise. I can switch the direction it's going at will...looking at the foot, swinging arm, head. Maybe clockwise is more natural.

Interestingly, I never noticed the shadow.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
both ways - whichever i choose. i have seen this picture before and when first opened, it has been both ways at different times, really.
(ENTP)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Counter-clockwise for me. Can't remember what the direction was the last few times I saw this though.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
It's still interesting because of the huge differences in perception other people have. But if you are isXX then it does make sense that you can see it both ways easily. I'm more of an INTX, I don't have a strong J/P preference but I have alot of trouble seeing the counterclockwise way.
Well, I would guess that most intuitives see the image as spinning clockwise. Just a hunch; I don't know if there is a correlation.

Interesting. So the image was made to be counter-clockwise? :huh:

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Ha.

Correlation would be funny.

I can see it going clockwise or anti-clockwise. I can switch the direction it's going at will...looking at the foot, swinging arm, head. Maybe clockwise is more natural.

Interestingly, I never noticed the shadow.

It's actually not objectively spinning, it's an optical illusion created by your biased perceptions of a 3 dimensional world. The image is 2D and it spins in the way your mind percieves it to. Different people percieve this image differently though, that's a fact, and mbti is a tool to label the differences in people, so I just want to see the overall data and see if anything seems consistent.
It's also a fact that everyone can use all the functions so you might have to have heavy preferences to show the real differences.

Jaguar

The image rotates in one direction.
If you watch long enough, it then changes direction.
That was so "exciting" I can hardly contain myself.

Lol.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
There's a similar thing going on with MST3K and Crow's silhouette in the theater.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Clockwise- ENTP
If you take out the shadow which is going counterclockwise.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
It's rotating clockwise for me, and I cannot understand how anyone could see different.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
It's actually not objectively spinning, it's an optical illusion created by your biased perceptions of a 3 dimensional world. The image is 2D and it spins in the way your mind percieves it to. Different people percieve this image differently though, that's a fact, and mbti is a tool to label the differences in people, so I just want to see the overall data and see if anything seems consistent.
It's also a fact that everyone can use all the functions so you might have to have heavy preferences to show the real differences.

Ok, I know, I get it...

I just find it unlikely that there would be correlation with MBTI preferences. I'm an armchair skeptic, I'm not trying to tear you down or something.

Can't blame you for looking, found it interesting anyway.

redsox44344

MBTI Type
ENTP
Clockwise, though I can make it turn counterclockwise if I stare at the arm and force my mind to believe that the arm is spinning the other direction. the body will soon follow and I will see it going counterclockwise. That's at least how I do it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I first open it, it is going counter clockwise. I can make it switch direction by concentrating a bit though. Then I can switch it back again by doing the same thing.

Jaguar

It's rotating clockwise for me, and I cannot understand how anyone could see different.

Look at the foot that appears to be flat on the ground.
It'll get to the point where you can change its direction at will.
I just say: "left" or "right," and the direction changes.
Weird, ay?

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
anti-clockwise

entj

it took me a couple seconds to figure that one out i will admit i couldn't
tell at first